NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conan rule interpretations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Maybe unarmed/unarmoured chaff should be using more sophisticated methods. Perhaps grappling the PCs so they can't use their weapons, or disarming them and using their weapons against them.

Anyone who is willing to attack a better armed and armoured opponent is probably not that sophisticated to begin with Smile Sounds like the results were pretty spot on.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Maybe unarmed/unarmoured chaff should be using more sophisticated methods. Perhaps grappling the PCs so they can't use their weapons, or disarming them and using their weapons against them.

Oh they were trying, but those attacks of opportunity are a complete killer. And at least if the combat was brief, it was also very cinematic. A dozen cultists vs 4 PCs. Less than one combat round in and there were seven cultist corpses littering the ground.
Benedict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
Oh they were trying, but those attacks of opportunity are a complete killer. And at least if the combat was brief, it was also very cinematic. A dozen cultists vs 4 PCs. Less than one combat round in and there were seven cultist corpses littering the ground.

Attacks of opportunity against unarmed attacks rock! But it does sound to me like there was some good rolling going on by the PCs. Seven deaths in the first round assuming no one had Combat Reflexes, that's a hit rate of 7/8 with no bad damage rolls. Am I right? If the rolls had favoured the cultists, with some help from flanking bonuses and Aid Another actions, a couple of the PCs may have been pinned and combat would have lasted a round or two longer.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:

Attacks of opportunity against unarmed attacks rock! But it does sound to me like there was some good rolling going on by the PCs. Seven deaths in the first round assuming no one had Combat Reflexes, that's a hit rate of 7/8 with no bad damage rolls. Am I right? If the rolls had favoured the cultists, with some help from flanking bonuses and Aid Another actions, a couple of the PCs may have been pinned and combat would have lasted a round or two longer.

The players also had two PCs with the "Cleave" feat. And one of those (Geoff) managed to take down two of the cultists just with that.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that each PC only gets 1 AoO per round unless they have Combat Reflexes. As such, if you have a bunch of unarmed people attacking 1 person, you get the AoO against the first but not the rest.
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critical damage

It seems that a critical does multiply damage bonuses as well as damage dice.

I was basing my earlier belief that it was only a weapon's base damage that was multiplied on the rule "extra damage over and above a weapon's normal damage is not multiplied". How this is interpreted would depend on how 'normal damage' is interpreted. However, the D&D FAQ suggests that strength bonuses and the like are multiplied. What is not multiplied are extra dice such as sneak attack dice.

Based on this I suppose Xavier would be dead rather than just unconscious.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are feeling virtuous Ben you can cross a fate point off your character sheet. This might actually be an advantage to you as you would start next week on zero hitpoints rather than -1!

But to be honest, the way with have been implementing the rule has been having a greater negative effect on the party than it has on the NPCs. I have only inflicted one crit and that was the one that laid you down last night. Meanwhile you guys (Geoff in particular) have been dishing them out like confetti.

PS. Remind me before we start next week to tell you what Xavier sees while he lies there unconscious...
Benedict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
If you are feeling virtuous Ben you can cross a fate point off your character sheet. This might actually be an advantage to you as you would start next week on zero hitpoints rather than -1!

Actually, by my calculations it would leave me at -5.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your word for that. I forget what "left for dead" means mechanically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: