NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buckets of Dice 07 and SAGA into the future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it wouldn't be THAT hard to get hold of 5 shitty computers networked up together, one per team. A basic interface with a submit button that simply takes the fields on screen and puts them in a text file on a single computer. End of turn, the GM's on the computers out the back open up the relevant named files (which players would have no control over, given it's all done on a webscreen as far as the players are concerned), and do the orders. Same as receiving paper bits, but could be easier.

Also opens up possibilities of "You've got mail. Bad mail. You lost in Sector 7G. Pwnd".

Tech to that extent wouldn't be hard, would only get tricky if you tried to add maps and other stuff in - but I liked the Fog of War concept, since you could just have token "Yellow 5" as your fifth space armada, which you can keep track of on your computer more easily.
Thorog the Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been toying with throwing everything into a big Ruby on Rails app. The idea of one computer per team came up, but there were some limitations (such as, well, we'd actually have to acquire the computers and make sure each team had a power outlet and that sort of thing). We had an image of one computer for the combat stuff, one for the politicking stuff, and one linked to the data projector (yes, folks, a data projector) for the Main Map.

If we could get hold of five aforementioned shitty computers, some interesting possibilities arise. The problem is that we really need to buy or lease some shitty computers, as people tend not to like others with sticky fingers poking at their precious boxes (I know I wouldn't).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two desktops, my laptop and Becky's laptop, just for starters.

So, you know, it's not terribly hard around Kaos to get hold of them ;)

Actually sitting down and designing the engine is the only annoying bit.
McGig

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present, the main map idea was a digital projector with the 'sector map'. The sector map indicates 'large' objects(fleets, refineries, asteroids, planets) all as white dots. A team would get its print out telling it in which hex it has fleets, so one just needs to look at the map to go "oh, those are my white dots, but who dots are those in the sector adjacent to me?"

The current idea has grown from an idea of a 'space based GS' and the 'the cold war gets hot' idea.

Personally, for the Cold War idea, I wanted command bunkers(re separate rooms or such) with nothing but the glow of a computer monitor as your link to the outside world. Paranoia was to be the key. Can you strike at the enemy? Is he even there? Or is he moving unseen through your territories currently?

Back on the space based idea...we were also thinking of limiting ships and tech. Ships have to be bought off of Earth, so its all about getting out there, earning money, buying ships and expanding your operations.

As for tech...I'd like to see some. Possibly along the lines of Earth is simply handing out the second rate stuff. For the right amount of money or extortion or what have you, a team might be able to convince Earth to release some of the better weapons tech, or shields or what have you.

I should also not write forum post at 1140, they tend to become streams of thought and aren't coherent in any way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> SAGA All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: