NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Monster of the week] Brainstorming help request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeSands

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: [Monster of the week] Brainstorming help request Reply with quote

So, I have the basic shape of a game sorted out, which is inspired by the TV show Supernatural and Hellboy and other stuff in that vein. The basic system is going to be a hack of the FATE 3.0 rules from Spirit of the Century.

I want it to play with no pre-game preparation, so it's going to run a little like InSpectres, with the monster generated as play goes on.

The GM will set up the initial mystery and give the monster a few stats, and then the rest will come out in play.

When the players make any sort of investigation attempt, they get to roll to define something about the monster. If their roll succeeds, then they get to either give the monster an aspect, or give it a new power and a new weakness.

A weakness is something that must be done before you can permanently take the monster down.

My problem is that I don't have that many ideas for weaknesses - so far, they're pretty generic and not very inspired. So, if anyone has some ideas for more, I'd really appreciate more suggestions.

Here's what there is so far:

* Vulnerability: Some specific type of thing is required to kill the monster (e.g. Salt, ash wood, hazel wood, cold iron, fire, sunlight, running water).
Item: There is a specific item that is required to kill the monster (e.g. The blessed sword of St Bob). This item will be hard, but possible, to find before the end of the episode (I.e. No 'this one rock on Mars').
* Trap: The creature may be trapped in a certain kind of place (e.g. Sacred ground, crossroads) or via a special kind of trap (e.g. Pentagram, magic spell, ring of salt, ring of earth).
* Aversion: The monster has a special fear of a certain thing and will flee from it (e.g. Sacred symbols, children, fire, moonlight).
* Banishment: The monster may be permanently banished by some process (e.g. Exorcism ritual, perform a task).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Game Designer's Cabal All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: