NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refugees from Boardgames, seeking a Games Board.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Refugees from Boardgames, seeking a Games Board. Reply with quote

A tired looking dusty traveller walks in, and dusts himself down.

"Howdy folks, don't know if you've heard, but the evil genius behind boardgames.co.nz is push the site into a black hole at the end of the month. It's leaving a few of us looking for a place to have a games board."

He looks around, taking in the games boards present at NZRag and continues:

"Any chance we could get one here?" "Who would I talk to?"

(It was a long day, and I felt like being a little narrative)

--

At the end of March, Gordon, who runs boardgames.co.nz, has let those of us who use boardgames.co.nz know that he plans to take the site down.

Boardgames isn't used for much, but we do use it for our regular game - hosting a forum to allow group chitchat, and the game log written by one of our players.

What we'd need is a forum/games board - 'BGNZ Age of Worms' would work great as a name, with some level of control for myself so I can sticky threads/close threads etc.

NZRag, you're our only (NZ based) hope - can you help us?
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a boardgame freak, I strongly say yes.

Zak, can you do this?

Looking at the forums at bordgames.co.nz, I think this could be done by simply adding a Board Game forum under Chat.

The rest of the forums work fine for board games (such as Available Games and Resources) and we could add any Events, Societies and Games are as are requested as we do now.

Last edited by Luke on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Duck, just can't be done. I'd like to help, but there's simply no way. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they've brought spam along with them! Wink
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all keen for a forum dedicated to boardgames. Its always nice to find out what other people like. Hugs
itowlson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luke and Nasia that it would be good to have a general boardgames forum (as distinct from the specific forum for duck's group). Although the "General Chat" and "Available Games" forums could be used for boardgames, they're dominated by roleplaying and somebody tuning in for the first time and looking for boardgame contacts would probably think they were roleplaying-only and go elsewhere. A "Boardgames" forum would create a much more obvious point of entry.

That said, traffic on boardgames.co.nz always seemed to be very low, and I'm a bit reluctant to see a low-volume forum if it would push another more active forum below the fold (yeah, usability wonk). Maybe if we could make the forum listings a bit more compact... oh, well, dither dither.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are relatively easy to setup; so really it just needs someone to distinctly say "I'd like a forum for <whatever>" and it can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
duck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Looking at the forums at bordgames.co.nz, I think this could be done by simply adding a Board Game forum under Chat.

Actually, I think you and the other respondents may have misunderstood my request - I'm not after a 'boardgames' forum - what I wrote was:

Quote:
Boardgames isn't used for much, but we do use it for our regular game - hosting a forum to allow group chitchat, and the game log written by one of our players.

And what I meant by 'regular game' was our regular rpg game.

All I'm after is a games board like the others here under the 'Games' category e.g.

* Barry's Tuesday Night Revolving GM and Games
* Descarte
* Dun Turloch

to replace our existing one - http://www.boardgames.co.nz/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=45

as I wrote:
Quote:

What we'd need is a forum/games board - 'BGNZ Age of Worms' would work great as a name, with some level of control for myself so I can sticky threads/close threads etc.

However, given:

Mashugenah wrote:
Sorry Duck, just can't be done. I'd like to help, but there's simply no way. Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure we're even welcome?
Stephanie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
However, given:

Mashugenah wrote:

I'm not sure we're even welcome?

Mash's humour is, alas, sometimes a bit too subtle. (He was making a joke about not helping when in fact he'd just set up a subforum for you.) Check out here: http://www.nzrag.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=38

Nice to have you on board. Smile
duck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
Mash's humour is, alas, sometimes a bit too subtle. (He was making a joke about not helping when in fact he'd just set up a subforum for you.) Check out here: http://www.nzrag.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=38

Nice to have you on board. Smile

Ah Smile Thanks for the pointer Stephanie - and Thanks for the forum Mash!
itowlson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
Actually, I think you and the other respondents may have misunderstood my request - I'm not after a 'boardgames' forum ... All I'm after is a games board like the others here under the 'Games' category

I think everybody understood: but given that you were reporting the death of boardgames.co.nz, it was not unreasonable for people to take that as a prompt to discuss the possibility of having a general boardgames forum alongside your group forum. The curse of topic drift, eh? *grin*
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck, if you want anyone else added to you Moderator list for that forum just yell out please. Wink
duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itowlson wrote:
The curse of topic drift, eh? *grin*

Yes - and I should learn to post only after I've got enough sleep Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: