NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Revelations] A campaign idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: [Revelations] A campaign idea Reply with quote

Armageddon is a test. The test has been administered more than once. So far, Humanity has managed to pass. The Seals are restored. The Trumpets are broken. The Hosts of Heaven held at bay.
It has been more than 100 years since the last call to end the world and, while such a short time between tests is unusual, these times are troubling. It seems the world has lost its way. The Throne of Heaven has called for Armageddon again. The trial has begun. The Four Horsemen have been called—four Angels trusted of the Throne will bring the end of days.

But, as in any trial, there is yet hope for redemption. The Four Horsemen are powerful, but not all powerful. They have tasks to perform, but they will not have the support of Heaven. They will be free agents, tasked with a purpose, but free to choose what judgement to lie on Earth. For you see, Angels are extensions of the Divine Will given creativity and personal identity, but not free will. They know what the Throne knows. They are never without the guiding, all knowing purpose of Heaven. That is until they fall to Earth. Once the Four Horsemen arrive, their connection to the Throne ends. They will know pain, death, doubt, sin and remorse. Once they trans-substantiate, they will remain on Earth until Judgement Day is won. Only then will they return to Heaven. If they fail, they will stay in Exile until the next trial, and the next trial, until Humanity fails… or they are killed.

You are one of the Four. It is your mission to bring Judgement Day. Humanity is sickened, depraved, and beyond hope. So says the Throne. So shall it be written. So shall it be done.

But as you awaken at 3 minutes to midnight 2051 in the city of angels, the message from on high is not quite so clear. The Divine Will is gone and now, for the first time, you are left to wonder what to do next. The lights of LA are bright against the night sky of smog. You have enough of the divine left in you to feel the evil in the streets below—the corruption, greed, lust, and violence. In your satchel is the Book of New Revelations that gives instructions for the rituals that must be performed. The tasks are great and will require each of the Horsemen, but some tasks will require more. Humanity will have to participate in its own destruction. Doubt creeps in. The rain is chill. The sensations of a physical body are strange. You feel weak and tired. The tasks seem impossible.

You will be opposed by all the Fallen who have come before. Each have chosen to side with Humanity or hide in their virtually immortal Exile. Greatest of all is Lucifer himself who claims dominion over Earth and will not easily allow the Throne its final victory. But the prospect of permanent Exile is the greater fear. To never again Know the Divine Will? To never again stand in the Glory? The Throne selected you, for you were the most Just… right?
hix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curtis,

Just wondering: what's your goal with posting this? Smile

The Random Play forum is for organising and telling us about game sessions from cons, one-offs, and groups that meet irregularly.

Are you looking for players for this game? Cos' that might be a better fit with the 'Available Games' forum.

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
Masada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of a setting idea that I might develop for a one off or short WARG series. I can't sustain a hosted game. It was just an idea I was kicking around in my head and thought I'd float it out there. See if anyone thought it sounded interesting or lame.
hix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'll move this to General Chat. You'll probably get more of a response there.

... and there we go: it's moved. Anyone want to jam on this setting idea?

Curtis, what are the 2 or 3 most important ideas to you in here?

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
Masada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important ideas... hmmm...

I like the juxtaposition of playing anti-hero angels. Typically in RPG's you're saving the world, I like the idea of an epic struggle of players to destroy it. The setting would be generally Sin City like. There would be few redeeming NPC's, but there would be enough to create moral dilemmas.

In most of the RPG games I have run, the players are typically Heroes, but not "central" Heroes. They accomplish great things, but they are not "The Chosen" or exiled kings or a Prophecy. This is therefore a personal departure. A "why not" approach to an interesting setting idea that has a built in limit (the end of the world).

I like the slightly modernized time setting so that you could introduce things like cybergear or bioware or lasers or even limited space travel. Not that I would use all of these, just pointing out that you could pick out your favourite future-tropes too.

Despite the name, I am not interested in a literary exploration of the real book of Revelations. I would steal some of the signs/seals/etc... but I wouldn't use them in exactly the same way. I would jumble things up so that "any resemeblance to persons living or dead" would be conincidental. "Missions" would be finding and obtain lost objects, finding the instructions to dark rituals, and completing tasks in exotic locations of forgotten power. Pull of an all night ceremony at Stone Henge for example--which would have lots of social interaction more than combat.

The Angels themselves would have some extra powers, but would be quite limited. New powers would be learned/discovered as tasks were completed (probably simple leveling). I would probably use some d20 variant as that is what I am most familiar with.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds wicked... perfect for a KapCon game....

Blog - Mostly Geek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: