NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K18 SDC Judge's Report (spoiler free)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattCowens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: K18 SDC Judge's Report (spoiler free) Reply with quote

Just posted this to the Kapcon Blog:

This was a great year for the SDC with five entrants submitting 7 scenarios. The games covered a range of genre from futuristic horror to two fisted mystery to camp humour. The quality of the games was universally high and choosing a winning scenario was no easy task.

Aeon Angelus Necronomicon Evolution by Luke
This densely packed Cthulhutech scenario follows the emotional twists and turns of a group of youngsters who are pilots of giant biomechanical robots. Their fight against dark forces who threaten humanity’s very existence is fraught with peril, angst and a tangling web of conspiracy. This beautifully presented scenario could easily be the basis of a campaign game, or a full-on rollercoaster ride of 3 hours. Recommended for GMs who are fans of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rah Xephon and other highly melodramatic Mecha stories.

Lambs of a Nameless God by Luke
Another Cthulhutech scenario, this is a chilling tale of life in the ruins of a post-apocalyptic world, this scenario sees a group of teenagers struggling to survive in a world without adults. Can the characters survive the machinations of monstrous entities, the bleak prospect of life in a shattered wasteland, and the scheming of other survivors? Recommended for GMs who like futuristic survival horror.

Murder Most Mysterious by Donna
A gathering of the greatest detectives of the early twentieth century, in the manor house of an aging aristocrat. Simmering tension between characters who wish to prove once and for all that they are the best detective of the age. What could possibly go wrong? A Cluedo-like mechanic makes this murder mystery a fun romp with some great detective characters. Recommended as an easy pick-up game for GMs wanting to parody some classic detective stories.

Spirit of the Tentacle by Mash
Exciting Pulp Action! Two-Fisted Heroes! A City in Peril! Will a band of heroes be able to avert disaster? This 1920s New York scenario features a stellar cast of heroes plunged into a dastardly web of intrigue that they must overcome in order to save New York. Excellent and detailed PCs and a classic pulp structure make this a great scenario for the pulp fan. Recommended for GMs who love their action bold and their heroes bolder.

The 18:25 to New London by Sophie
A classic mystery on a train, this scenario is set in the near future in a world ravaged by global warming where Victorian values have returned. The players find themselves aboard and increasingly dangerous ride, trying to prove their innocence and avoid danger. Recommended for mystery fans.

The Tale of Robyn Hood and Her Merry Band of Maids by Jenni
A Best Friends scenario that takes the cheesiest 1950s Hollywood image of Robin Hood and tips gender on its head. Robyn and her Merry Maids struggle against the villainous Princess Jenny and Girl of Gisborne, and Fifi the Sheriff of Nottingham. Meanwhile Robyn is in love with Man Martin, the most beautiful man in England. The scenario contains character sheets, NPC lists, and enough story hooks for several sessions of gaming. Recommended for GMs looking for hilarious, player-focussed parody gaming.

To Kill a Lie by Luke
A Cthulhutech spy game where the PCs must tackle a potentially deadly cult. This scenario sees the characters unraveling a mystery that leads to an explosive climax, set against the glittering lives of Hollywood’s elite. Recommended to fans of spy mission games, and the dark underside of Hollywood’s faded lights.

This year’s winner was Lambs of a Nameless God by Luke, with Spirit of the Tentacle a close second. Many of these scenarios will be available online shortly, and they all come highly recommended. It’s great to see the already rich range of SDC entries growing, and I hope these scenarios are read and run by a range of GMs – they are well worth it Smile
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to have even more entries next year. Smile

How can we make that happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: K18 SDC Judge's Report (spoiler free) Reply with quote

MattCowens wrote:
Many of these scenarios will be available online shortly, and they all come highly recommended.

Just as soon as we get permission from the authors. Speaking of which...?
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: K18 SDC Judge's Report (spoiler free) Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

You have my permission, though I would like to provide versions that got an extra editing pass before Kapcon, if that's possible.

Do you want an image stripped version?
NickPitt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
It'd be nice to have even more entries next year. Smile

How can we make that happen?

I'll enter my Cthulhutech scenario for next year, I got about half way through it's creation before the con just past and plan to put some serious work into it over the coming months.

I think I will try and write up my Champloo Samurai game that I ran a couple of years ago.

Not sure how to generally get more people entering though...
Jon Ball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people are probably like me - they have some ideas, they think about writing them up, they maybe start or get half way through, and then they end up forgetting about then until a few weeks before Kapcon.

I'm hoping to overcome this this year by being more organised and writing stuff throughout the year.

I think at least part of the issue is that the deadline is early December. Normally this is a very busy time of year for people in the run up to Christmas. I'm aware that reading all the scenarios takes time, however potentially a later closing date could stimulate more entries? I normally only start thinking about Kapcon a few weeks before hand. A closing date in the first week of January might allow enough time to review entries while also giving people time (over the Christmas / New Year break) to finish off their entries.

Just my thoughts.

Jon
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: K18 SDC Judge's Report (spoiler free) Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
MattCowens wrote:
Many of these scenarios will be available online shortly, and they all come highly recommended.

Post away!

Blog - Mostly Geek
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Ball wrote:
I think a lot of people are probably like me - they have some ideas, they think about writing them up, they maybe start or get half way through, and then they end up forgetting about then until a few weeks before Kapcon.

The way I got past it last year, and will again this year, is by entering the scenario I ran the year before. So for example in 2008 I ran 18:25 to New London so entered it into the 2009 SDC.

For the 2010 SDC I'll probably enter A.C.O.R.N. as it is a pretty complete form. I may even enter another, we'll see...

Blog - Mostly Geek
Jenni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah go ahead and post it. I was thinking of trying to make money from it, but I'm not sure anyone would spend money on a Best Friends scenario...

oh and thanks for the kind words, Matt Smile
MattCowens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the SDC judge this year I read all the entries in the week before Kapcon. I printed them off in early December and then spent some time in hospital, with family and so on.

The deadline is a good thing to discuss at a Kapcon meeting - and we can ask this year's judge (Luke) what his views are Smile
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattCowens wrote:
The deadline is a good thing to discuss at a Kapcon meeting - and we can ask this year's judge (Luke) what his views are Smile

Personally, I would like to have them before Xmas. I estimate that it takes roughly 2 hours to read a scenario properly at the very least and then at least 1 hour to write up the score sheet. So that is 21 hours all up. Spending that time in one week would be a stretch.

As an aside, the original reason we went for 1 December was exactly to avoid what Jon said, which was to have them in before people get too busy over the Xmas season.
Jon Ball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattCowens wrote:

I thought it might be Luke this year... just a hunch.

Jon
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Ball wrote:
MattCowens wrote:

I thought it might be Luke this year... just a hunch.

Jon

Yeah.. we need some one else to win for once!!! (And not winning last year doesn't count as you didn't enter)

But on a serious note, that's great news. Luke will be an excellent judge.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have offered but there has been no formal confirmation yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 18 (2009) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: