NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diamond Lake: Letter to beloved mentor II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glen

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #88 til death do us part Reply with quote

5th Day of Richfest
Alhaster, bandit kingdom of Redhand

Dearest Allustan

A Magic Missile fizzled against the Rope Golem as well. Jolan, Corvan and Ulfen continued to battle against the creature, but it wasn't going so well.

The golem appeared to be guarding the area, and only attacking those that got close or attacked it. I considered waiting until my bodyguards eliminated the creature, but I was very impatient as I couldn't cast any combat spells that might be effective against the golem. So I cast Greater Invisibility and then Dimension Doored into the corridor beyond the golem, and searched for anything valuable it might have been guarding.

All I found was a dried Kyuss worm on the ground in an alcove, and a deeper pit. Shortly thereafter Jolan finished off the Rope Golem on his burning spikes. He seemed greatly pleased with his grappling efforts, and the others appeared exulted from their victory.

Perhaps our over-confidence was what led us shortly into disaster.

We heard a shout from above, and it was Tobias! He had apparently met Jolan enroute to the Church of Kord and had hurried back to obtain his full adventuring kit. He tried climbing down our rope but the armoured cleric fell and was saved from further damage by his Ring of Feather Fall.

We decided to descend the next pit while our magic was still active. Corvan and Ulfen descended first, followed by Jolan, myself and Tobias. While descending I saw runic pictograms on the walls, and recognised references to the Avolakia, or intelligent worms rumoured to live deep below the earth.

We heard a shout from the paladin below, and the hapless Corvan was in trouble fighting what appeared to be a gigantic Ebon Aspect, maybe 15-20' high, with the three heads and six limbs, some of which were functioning! The paladin was already hurt when I tried to Disintegrate the creature: I attracted its attention but not its interest, especially as I was still invisible.

Corvan smote the creature twice and then the Ebon Aspect killed Corvan with three claw strikes and a tremendously terrible bite.

Tobias, bless his soul, anticipated my defensive tactics and filled the centre of the 50' tall chamber with a Wall of Stone half the height. Thus blocking the Ebon Aspect from attacking us directly, Jolan gathered Corvan's body and I shouted, "gather around friends, we're getting out" and Greater Teleported everyone to the Sinner's Sanctum above.

I could feel something was wrong as we were shunted sideways into an adjacent backyard. The Sinner's Sanctum was busted by the forces of Law in Alhaster! Guardsmen swarmed the hovel while Black Nuns of Hextor hovered above giving aerial support and reconnaissance.

They could see me, despite my Greater Invisibility and Disguise Self! Of course, invisible individuals are always up to no good, so two devil temptresses demanded I become visible while aiming crossbows at my fair body. I tried to retreat but not before I was hit by four bolts! Ouch!

Tobias cast Wind Walk and as we were misting we were the targets of a Web spell and a subsequent Unholy Blight. We were trapped in the backyard of some peasant's hovel! I wanted to Banish the devils but they stayed out of range, alerting the guardsmen to our presence and content to rain spells down upon our fair and good heads. So I sealed the backyard with a hemisphere of Stone. In the confusion we Wind Walked out of the city, regrouping at the ruined house across from the black dragon islets.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
Champion of the Free Arena

Warn the Alhaster guards not to enter the Ebon Aspect's lair!
Identify what is in the 3 adamantium vials, and how much the vials are worth just for the metal
Get Tobias in to cure the rest of the sick in Sinner's Sanctum
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. Need to get an invitation for Ulfgard. Deal with Loris Raknian
glen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: #89 captured by sexy devil women wearing tight black leather Reply with quote

5th Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

The rest of today didn't go so well my beloved mentor. After catching our breath in the ruined house, we debated for a few minutes whether I should return to the Sinner's Sanctum to warn the Alhaster guards against entering the dungeon, as the Ebon Aspect was alert and active. Various scenarios and possibilities were discussed, but before my usual clarity of thought and goodness of deed came to the fore, events conspired against us.

Ulfgard said he felt the ground vibrating. Soon we could feel it as well. Obviously the Ebon Aspect was making good use of its sudden activation. We decided to return to the Sinner's Sanctum, and hide in trees near the hovel, and ambush the Ebon Aspect as it emerged from its hole.

After half an hour watching the skies for Black Nuns (at least one, with several doing aerial recon around the city environs), and nervously observing the Sinner's Sanctum (some worried-looking guards posted outside the hovel, but nothing else), I rematerialised from our Wind Walk spell, and the others joined me quickly afterwards. We decided to race into the hovel and find out what the Ebon Aspect was doing. We can move extremely fast in Wind Walk mode, so hopefully we weren't observed slipping in.

Tobias offered to stand guard at the hole while Jolan, Ulfen and myself cautiously reconnoitered the dungeon below. We agreed that upon sighting the Ebon Aspect we would all return to Tobias.

We found Ebon Aspect tunnelling its way westwards at a steady pace. On our way back someone had lit a lantern at the bottom of the first well. When I approached the chamber, four Black Nuns teleported in, and ordered us to rematerialise. Ulfen complied, the law-abiding dwarven fool. Jolan and I did not, and we raced out of the Sanctum. I didn't see Tobias on the way out, so I assume he was captured by the Black Nuns.

Desparate for allies now, even dubious ones, Jolan and I visited the Deluxury and sought out Armin Loratio (Loratio is the correct spelling). From the servants we found out that Armin was attending the palace, and that Ragnor and Sheridan received summons to the barracks. This meant one of two things: either to post bail, or to assist in legal enquiries.

Jolan and I Wind Walked to the alchemy lab on the black dragon islet on the river. My Wall of Stone had been breached, so the lair was no longer secure. We had to find a safe place for the night so I could learn how to reincarnate Corvan the following morning. A quick trip two miles south up the coast found only some sort of prison guarded by hobgoblins. Eventually I decided to try Eel town across the river from Alhaster. For 2 coppers Jolan and I rented accommodations in the common room. I was wearing Corvan's Hat of Disguise by this time. Tomorrow will be a better day.

6th Day of Richfest
Eel Town, across the river from Alhaster, bandit kingdom of Redhand

Jolan and I awoke flea-ridden but enthusiastically looking forward to reincarnating Corvan. I suspect we were anticipating the event for different reasons. We found a quiet place in some trees just out of Eel Town so I could learn my spells and bring back my friend.

In any case, my beloved mentor, I am pleased to report that my first casting of Limited Wish was successful. It was a bit draining, but not more so than Permanencing a spell.

Jolan disagreed with my reincarnation of Corvan. Corvan came back as a half-elf. "It's not even half-finished, let's try again!" grunted Jolan, wildly gesturing with his trident. I assured Jolan that we would send the new Corvan first against the Ebon Aspect, so the likelihood of a repeat reincarnation would be high. I also promised Jolan that should I fall, I would also prefer a reincarnation. He seemed somewhat mollified by this and stopped waving his trident about.

So, friend Paladin half-elf, brother Barbarian orc, what do we do today?

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Identify what is in the 3 adamantium vials, and how much the vials are worth just for the metal
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. Need to get an invitation for Ulfgard. Deal with Loris Raknian
glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #90 The Ebon Aspect returns Reply with quote

6th Day of Richfest
Eel Town, across the river from Alhaster, bandit kingdom of Redhand

Dearest Allustan

We decided to deal with the Ebon Aspect as a priority over all things, even at the risk of capture by the Black Nuns. I cast an Anlan's Amazing Apartment and stored my spellbooks in a secret chamber. Then we headed back across the river to Alhaster.

On the way Jolan said Tobias spoke to him. I have told my brothers never to listen to, or answer, the voices in their heads, but of course, despite my wise counsel, they always do so. Fortunately the Tobias-Voice merely mentioned a meeting place in Alhaster so we made our way there. We could feel through the soles of our feet the sound of the Ebon Aspect tunnelling underground towards its target, whatever place that was in Alhaster - probably the palace.

While flying Black Nuns watched our progress through Alhaster, no she-devil molested us or otherwise obstructed our travel. I don't know if I was disappointed or not. Particularly about the molesting.

We gathered in front of a cliff face, together again as a party. The brief discussion which followed indicated that the police forces of Alhaster expected us to deal with the Ebon Aspect ourselves, with aerial support from the Black Nuns. Before we could talk much, the Ebon Aspect proceeded to bash down the cliff face in front of us and emerge.

I cast Quickened Enlarge Person and Stoneskin on Jolan, then Stoneskin on Corvan, and Stoneskin on Ulfgard using my own diamond dust.

Tobias opened the fight against the Ebon Aspect with a Flame Strike. The flames came down but appeared to be absorbed by the creature, and I bet the Hand of Vecna it helped the creature somehow.

The Black Nuns peppered the Ebon Aspect with arrows, but aside from making the creature look like a pin cushion, I doubt their puny missiles penetrated its thick hide. Sheridan was similarly ineffective with his arrows. The Ebon Aspect looked like the last Aspect which killed me: six arms, with a gaunt skeletal humanoid face, representing the most terrible aspects of Hextor, Vecna and Erthynul. Two of the left arms and one of the right were missing hands.

Jolan-Large ran forward and stabbed the Ebon Aspect. I tried to Disintegrate it but only inflicted minor damage. The huge Ebon Aspect clawed and bit Jolan-Large, knocking him over. Corvan died last time that happened to him! I screamed to Jolan-Large to stay down, ran forward and made my brother invisible.

Jolan-Large, invisible now, ran forward again and stabbed it, and because the Ebon Aspect could not see him until he attacked, Jolan-Large was safe. Ulfgard slashed it, and this time Ulfgard was struck by a claw and knocked flying. His prayers to Pelor complete, Corvan charged in and struck the creature with his holy good sword.

A ghostly flail appeared in the air and started to beat on the paladin. I recognised the Spiritual Weapon and tried to dispel it, but my Dispel Magic did not work.

Jolan-Large stabbed the Ebon Aspect viciously five times! The flail continued to beat on Corvan while Corvan continued to strike at the Ebon Aspect. It bit Jolan-Large and knocked him away again. Tobias dispelled the Flail of Hextor, well done!

Ragnor was summoning animals from a safe distance. A large lion joined our fight and was knocked away. I don't recall what else Ragnor did in the battle, perhaps he had smoked too much the night before.

I unleashed a Chain Lightning which hurt the creature, and in a show of magic, made the 14 secondary lightning bolts form a flower of Pelor. There was a crowd of Alhaster citizens watching us from a safe distance, and I didn't want them to think the Black Nuns were handling the situation all by themselves!

Jolan-Large leapt up and charged the Ebon Aspect, Ulfgard slashed at it multiple times with his great axe. The creature bit Jolan-Large, and struck all three fighters with its massive claws, knocking back Ulfgard only.

Corvan smote the creature and the Ebon Aspect fell to the forces of Pelor!

Once the creature was defeated, the Black Nuns were happy to get closer to it. They suggested we immediately investigate the tunnel system it had created. Tobias cast Wind Walk and while we were dissipating, we realised the Black Nuns only wanted us out of the immediate area of the fight so they could claim total credit for the defeat of the Ebon Aspect. I didn't care, I was pleased we had defeated it this time without loss of life.

We wafted into the lair and after a thorough search discovered a false wall to a chamber containing three trunks and the empty space of a fourth. Sheridan checked for traps and declared the trunks clear. Inside the trunks were 20 bags containing 1,000 gp each, 9 bags containing 2,000 gp of gems each (no diamonds), and a bag containing 1,000 pp. There were 30 potions and a leather ledger with a transmutation aura in the third trunk.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Last edited by glen on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #91 making hobgoblins happy Reply with quote

6th Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

Jolan stuffed all the treasure into his Bag of Holding, and we wafted back out into Alhaster, speculating on who had taken the fourth chest. My bet is Loris Raknian. He is always stealing stuff from us.

Large hooded ogres? trolls? were hauling away the body of the Ebon Aspect in chains when we emerged into the sunlight. Apparently, Tobias and Ulfgard arranged a deal with the Black Nuns to defeat the Ebon Aspect in return for being allowed to return to the streets of Alhaster. Nice negotiating, guys!

The Black Nun who informed us of this also knew we were attending the Prince's party. Is there anything these she-devils don't know? Clean armour, no weapons is the rule.

We retired to the Main Evant to slake our thirst and discuss what to do with our new wealth. While we were deep in discussion, mainly about my tremendous lack of a magic weapon I can call my own, a whole army of hobgoblins turned up. This time they were led by B'Kruss, Leader of the Knights of Redhand!

B'Kruss was quite happy to wax eloquent on how wonderful and great his hobgoblin nation was. Jolan was quite happy to make loud snide remarks like "these aren't true goblins, they're ... hobbled!" Eventually B'Kruss deigned to notice Jolan, and he challenged Jolan to "the Mindless Scourge of the Dreadful Mauling". You could just hear the capital letters in the way B'Kruss said it.

I had drunk a little too much, and wanted to take on his wizard, V'Kruss, standing behind his leader. Even though Jolan insulted him "oh look the raven's taught that hobgoblin to talk!" neither B'Kruss nor V'Kruss rose to take the bait of a wizard counterspelling contest!

The capital letter challenge involved wrestling a dire boar to the ground and holding it there. Hurting the dire boar meant you forfeited the game. B'Kruss stepped into the ring, and after much grunting and snorting - mostly from B'Kruss - he managed to grapple the dire boar and pin it down for about a minute.

Jolan stepped into the ring, grabbed the dire boar and immediately pinned it in one smooth motion. He was magnificent, he made it look like even I could do the challenge without breaking a sweat. Two minutes later B'Kruss and his army stomped out of the Main Evant, and we made another dear enemy!

We decided to Greater Teleport back to Magepoint, and boost the local magic economy there rather than prop up the economy of the selfish ruler of Alhaster.

6th Day of Richfest
Magepoint
Hometown of the Archmage Tenser

Magepoint, what a sight for sore arcane eyes. We booked into the All-seeing Eye, and there followed a lively and interesting discussion on the division of treasure! We were arguing how best to prepare for Prince Zeech's party tomorrow night. The ticket listed the following events:

TWENTY YEARS OF JOY

You are hereby and cordially invited to attend and behold the wonder and beauty of our magnificent ruler on this, the twentieth anniversary of his liberation of our fair city!

Your carriage awaits two hours before sundown on the eve of this magnificent event.

Gathering in the Vertiginous Terrace

After agreeing to replace the diamond dust stores of Corvan, Jolan and myself (750 gp) Jolan argued passionately for obtaining two Gloves of Storing to hide weapons. I have never seen Jolan think so strategically before! To encourage him, I supported his views.

Well, purchasing two Gloves of Storing at 10,000 gp each (bye bye gold!) shocked me a little. Next time I need to know how much supporting my brother will cost me! Jolan and Ulfgard wore a Glove each as Corvan can summon his sword with a thought.

We divided the 2,000 pp by five for 200 pp each, and the 17,250 gp worth of gems we divided into five lots of 3,450 gp each.

Corvan immediately wanted back the 2,000 gp he had loaned me. I was shocked by Corvan's sudden interest in finance. I argued that I still needed the money to get a magic weapon enchanted. Corvan argued that I didn't need a magic weapon, I was a magic weapon. I was quite pleased with this compliment. In any case, my rule is, if a creditor mentions a debt, pay it back right away.

Corvan gave me the party Falchion + 1, Magebane by way of apology. Now if I can only remember the games Jolan, Ragnor and I played with that borrowed falchion all those years ago in Diamond Lake. Such sweet memories.

I identified the potions: 10 Cure Moderate Wounds, 10 Undetectable Alignment, 10 Elixirs of Truth. Corvan already had Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, so he gave his share of two to Ulfgard. Jolan, Tobias and I took two each. We each two Potions of Undetectable Alignment and two Elixirs of Truth. I will cast Identifty on the leather ledger and those adamantium vials tomorrow morning to determine their magical properties.

I went off to get my masterwork light crossbow magically enchanted for 2,000 gp. Since I didn't have enough money to add special abilities I decided to pay back Tobias his loan of 771 gp. That leaves me with 679 gp remaining. That's nearly 14 pounds of gold. It's weird having so much money on me. It makes me want to spend it someplace. I can hear it telling me to do so.

I wonder if I can write a few spells into my spellbook tomorrow before returning to Alhaster.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Last edited by glen on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #92 The Prince's Party Reply with quote

6th Day of Richfest
Magepoint

Dearest Allustan

There was a message waiting for me at the inn after we got back from shopping. Tenser wanted to meet me at his castle tomorrow! How did Tenser know we were back in Magepoint? It must be magic...

I assumed Tenser wouldn't mind if I brought the others along. I was so excited I could barely wait to fall asleep.

7th Day of Richfest
Magepoint

The ledger only had a few pages that were magical, but I would need True Seeing combined with Comprehend Languages to read them. I will ask Tobias to assist tomorrow.

The adamantine vials were worth probably 50 gp each. They will be very handy in keeping valuable liquids safe for me. I tentatively identified the substances inside the vials as causing permanent increases to Strength and Constitution, Charisma and some sort of natural armour increase, but I didn't know how strong the substances were.

After a brief discussion, we decided to let Jolan drink the Str/Con, Tobias the Cha, and I would try the natural armour concoction. They all waited for me to drink first. It tasted like that green liqueur Ragnor borrowed when we were young. Then my skin hardened and I broke out in a rash of black scales on my hands, legs, back, front and forehead.

Since nothing bad happened to me, Jolan and Tobias sculled their potions. They reported no ill effects and a definite improvement on their aforementioned statistics. I estimate the enhancements were worth 55,000 gp each, so we will have to make it up to Corvan later. Ulfgard was not present at the Acid Dragon fight, so he just got to watch. I did however give him my Amulet of Natural Armour + 1 as I did not require it anymore.

Tenser's breakfast was generous and delicious as usual. He wanted to hear the other's perspectives on what had happened. I thought my letters were a reasonably accurate reflection of what had transpired and my objective thoughts on the various situations we had found ourselves in.

Tenser wanted us to make a sketch of the ziggurat that Prince Zeech was building in Alhaster. I guess I can do that.

Tenser wanted to know if we thought we were properly equipped in our fight against the Ebon Aspect. I said no, I could have really done with a magic staff. And some Pearls of Power. Tenser asked the others and got various wishful requests for items of great power. Tenser said he would look into it. If I get a magic staff from the Archmage Tenser, do you think he would be annoyed if I asked him to sign it?

We teleported back to Alhaster in time for Prince Zeech's party.

7th Day of Richfest

Prior to departing to Prince Zeech's party, I cast Anlan's Amazing Apartment and we stored all the gear we weren't taking with us to the party in a secret compartment I created especially for the occasion.

Two carriages arrived to pick us up from the Ogre's Hideout. Jolan and I got into one and the others travelled together in the second carriage. Both carriages were ostentatious in their display of wealth and power, and four trolls pulled each carriage. The carriages were well-stocked with liquor and I'm not sorry to report Jolan and I did some not-insignificant damage to the stocks.

It looked like a special effort had been made to make Alhaster a little more presentable for Prince Zeech's party. Even the skeletons in the gibbets had been polished!

We were met at the palace by a deformed human who asked us to descend from the carriages and escorted us to where all the fine guests were waiting.

We met Maris Quemp in the company of a Captain Volrus - a dark skinned human male, a ranger of the north patrol who fights constantly against the Reyhu orcs. He and Jolan got on like a house on fire.

Then there was a constant stream of people who we were introduced to and got talking to - the names made my head spin, I hope I spell them right here:

Torus the gnome
Professor Morat and Sug Suray
Missen Mitchwillow, female halfling wizard, I wanted to talk shop with her but she was always busy
Hemriss, female human? Half her face one inch above the other, a bad teleport experience perhaps, leader of warrior gypsies and rumoured daughter of Prince Zeech himself!
Hoff, male dwarf, bit mad
Lord Killraven, Captain of the West Border Watch, mainly watches for other bandit kingdoms and scouting forces of Iuz. He liked Jolan too.

Hoff wanted an arm wrestle with Ulfgard. Ulfgard won 2 out of 3. Hoff wanted an arm wrestle with Jolan. Jolan won 2 out of 3 but lost 3 out of 5! They were going to go for seven but who should interrupt but our best friend from Greyhawk, Loris Raknian!

With the greatest effort of will we didn't all pile onto Loris and beat him to a pulp. We lied to him and he lied to us and we were left thinking how great it would be to return his sorry traitorous carcass back to Greyhawk. I wonder how much the reward is now? He bithely dismissed his theft of my money, saying it was a problem I should take up with the accountants of the Arena.

A 2' high sinister-looking little man blew a horn to attract our gilded attention. He had a mummified raven on his shoulder. The Ominous Fabler, so he declared his title, spoke with a surprising strong and deep voice.

The first event to take place, the Ominous Fabler announced, was the giving of presents to Prince Zeech. We all looked at one another. This wasn't listed on the ticket!!!

Guests brought out hidden presents in their clothes: there were cages containing exotic animals, someone brought along a fiendish horse! I thought of a plan, but I was still nervous when Prince Zeech approached us and I spoke first: "Your Royal Highness", then stumbled, but fortunately Corvan smoothly took over and announced to the Prince that our gift was peace and prosperity to Alhaster through the destruction of the Ebon Aspect. Prince Zeech seemed to accept this diplomatic statement and moved on to other guests.

The Blessed Angels flanking Prince Zeech appeared interested in my armour. Maybe they like red.

The Ominous Fabler announced that urgent business kept the Lady Lashonna from the day's events but she would join us for the evening dinner. Good, we could finally speak to her about her role in defeating the Ebon Triad heretics. Then the little man lead the guests to the day's events:

Gathering in the Vertiginous Terrace

This gave me vertigo, but it was impressive.

Skeletons dressed in clown costumes doing theatre. The plot consisted of how various people died in suspicious circumstances: accidently stabbed, tragically drowned in a chamber pot, that sort of thing. I got the distinct impression that the skeletons themselves were acting out what had happened to their former living owners. It was creepy.

The Ominous Fabler on stilts took us to the Balcony of Expectorants, a wide deck jutting 20' from the coastline. The view was magnificient! 300' straight down into the ocean!

There was a rack of exotic repeating crossbows. The Ominous Fabler announced that for each participant in the contest, 10 brightly coloured birds would be released. Anyone who shot down more birds than Prince Zeech would receive a prize of 1,000 gp. The Prince took a black repeating crossbow from the rack - obviously magical - and shot 6 birds in three rounds.

Corvan got only one. It takes a full round to reload the repeating crossbow, so it is quite tricky to maintain a good rate of fire.

Jolan got three.

I didn't know how to handle the exotic weapon so I dropped it and cast Chain Lightning at the birds. I got all 10. Then a Blessed Angel hugged me. I enjoyed that, but before I could hug her back, she and I teleported over the sea where she dropped me.

Fortunately my Contingenced Fly activated so I flew back to the balcony. Some fools, mainly my brother Ragnor, were firing bolts in my general direction so I cast Extended Protection from Arrows to ensure my return was not marred by wounds. The Ominous Fabler declared I was disqualified for cheating and Prince Zeech gave me a dark look. I mumbled an apology but I don't think anyone heard me.

No-one said you had to use the Repeating Crossbow on the birds. Surely it is the results that matter?

Ulfgard got six birds, equal with the Prince, well done!

I heard Maris and Loris muttering about "respecting the rules". They can talk.

I'm really enjoying the Prince's party so far. I wonder what is next?

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Throw Loris Raknian off the Balcony of Expectorants as he isn't worth spit
Talk to Lady Lashonna about her role in defeating the Ebon Triad heretics
glen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #93 The Prince's Party II Reply with quote

7th Day of Richfest

Palace of Prince Zeech

Dearest Allustan

I apologise for the interruption between letters. One of the Blessed Angels confiscated my spell component pouch! They are so strict here!

Sheridan shot 7 birds, and thus won the 1,000 gp. Prince Zeech took it in good form when the Ominous Fabler presented Sheridan with the chest full of gold.

We descended into the depths of the palace to an underground arena, complete with curved seating benches and sunken fighting pit. Through the use of two magic rings, Prince Zeech and a contender would fight in the bodies of some other creature!

Jolan volunteered and a dozen cats were released into the ring. Jolan and the prince were somehow controlling cockatrices in the arena.

After Jolan and Prince Zeech "stoned" half the cats, the fearful felines started to fight back with tooth and claw! Prince Zeech's cockatrice was badly scratched. Jolan "stoned" the last cat, which allowed the Prince to peck Jolan's cockatrice. Since cockatrices are immune to each other's petrification ability, it took a long while for Jolan and Prince Zeech to determine who was the winner. It was Prince Zeech by three pecks. The prince was quite happy with retaining the Golden Egg, whatever it was. The audience got to eat eggs of various sizes while watching the cats flee and fight. I asked what happened to the statues, and apparently the prince installs them in the garden.

Misren Mitchwillow is clearly a sorceress, not a wizard, so we don't have much in common to talk about. She wanted to talk about the feel of magic, but all I wanted was to read her non-existent books.

We walked into one of the palace gardens lit by skull lanterns on silver and gold chains. We had to throw a skull to get it close to the black skull that the prince threw into a mound of human skulls. Jolan and Tobias declined to play. My throw missed badly. Only Hemriss threw worse than I. Jolan was leading then Loris threw closer. Sheridan tied with Loris, and the Ominous Fabler declared a face-off between the two. Sheridan bet Loris soundly! Sheridan received a pretty necklace upon which a silver skull dangled with gems for eyes.

This took place in a gigantic cylindrical chamber taking up most of the central keep of the palace. We dined at a massive mahogany table beneath a vast stained-glass dome, portraying angels dallying - I couldn't tell for sure, I think I need glasses. The perimeter of the dome was ringed with severed heads mounted on iron spikes. The decapitated heads cheered the arrival of Prince Zeech.

While I was figuring out which of the 10 spoons I should use first, and showing Jolan which one to use, Lady Lashonna appeared.

1st Course

This arrived on the backs of a trio of dewinged and debarbed manticores: it was a green, fat worm. The initial texture was disturbing but the "scrub grub" was actually quite tasty.

Prince Zeech invited items of song, dance or braggery. Professor Montague Morat entertained the audience with childhood stories of us, the Evant brothers, which I found quite embarrassing.

Sheridan stood and lied to Prince Zeech's court about the time he and Will defeated two red dragons. I stood and did a good job extolling our heroic defeat (and my personal battle with one) of a REAL pair of green dragons.

2nd Course

It was a big pie from which 24 blackbirds emerged, flew around the room and then vanished. I quite liked the pie with its delicately sugared and almond crust. The wine served with the pie, Redhand Resinwint, was very potent.

The Ominous Fabler performed a pan pipe piece, and he did well. We then had to endure a song from Hoff, and a duet from Ulfgard and Hoff about invading gnomes or some such nonsense.

3rd Course

"Tojbasarrirge" - tojanda, stuffed with basilisk steaks, inside arrowhawk breasts inside stirge meat. An intriguing dish, one I would have loved to eat, but the concoction was so nauseating that no-one could eat more than a single bite. Since it was the invention of Prince Zeech, he got quite annoyed at this reaction, and had the kitchen staff whisk the course away before further embarrassment ensued.

4th Course

Purple worm in aspic. Apparently sufficiently cooking the poisonous tail section of the purple worm produces this purple gloop, safe to eat - sometimes. I ate mine with no ill effects, and no-one else died at the table. We drank an iced spirit called Crush, made from blackberries and spices, and I really enjoyed the drink, so I had several of them. I felt really good drinking Crush.

5th Course

8' tall cake of the gigantic ziggurat Prince Zeech is building in Alhaster. It even had a marzipan figure of Prince Zeech on the top, portrayed with angel wings.

Sadly, the cake fell over as it was coming in, and the head of the marzipan figure landed in Corvan's lap. The symbolism was not lost on anyone there. Corvan tried to save the night but Prince Zeech sat their brooding while others ate the cake.

The Ominous Fabler announced the traditional finish of Alhaster, the Dance of the Dead.

I danced with Hemriss, and dance poorly. I danced with Miszen, and danced awfully. I danced with Merchantmaster Mahuudril, and she suggested I take up lessons, and left me standing alone on the dance floor.

Corvan and Lashonna danced up a storm on the dance floor. Prince Zeech rewarded Corvan with the evil eye. I could see that Corvan was talking with Lashonna. I hope he remembered to talk to Lady Lashonna about her role in defeating the Ebon Triad heretics.

The evening ended quite abruptly after the dance. We returned to our carriages to depart for the Ogre's Hideout, but we saw Loris Raknian talking with the hobgoblin warlord B'Kruss. They were giving us dirty looks all night so I don't think they were discussing the culinary aspects of the meal.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #94 indigestion Reply with quote

7th Day of Richfest

Palace of Prince Zeech

Dearest Allustan

I was still enjoying the aftereffects of the Crush I had drunk, so we decided to sneak into the Deluxury. It appeared the hobgoblin army was encamped outside it. We sneaked in using Hats of Disguise and Disguise Self cast by yours truly.

Corvan and Ulfgard started gambling and losing their money. We saw Maris, Loris and B'Kruss come in and hole up in a meeting room. I wanted to spy on them but my Polymorph Self spell only allowed one transformation upon casting. So I went looking for Ragnor instead and Sheridan directed me outside. I had dropped the disguise by then and the hobgoblin soldiers recognised me. I swapped friendly greetings in Goblin with the militia, while walking around aimlessly looking for Ragnor. I didn't find my wayward brother.

I awoke during the night with painful racking stomach pains, spewing green fluid. It must have been something I ate. Fortunately I had the Rod of Bodily Restoration on hand so I quickly healed myself of hurt. Corvan appeared to suffer the same indigestion but with less of a reaction than I. Tobias diagnosed poison, either ingested or drunk, so I think Corvan and I displeased the Prince. I will make a little mark in my black book.

1st Day of Reaping

Anlan's Amazing Apartment inside Ogre's Hideout

The Ogre's Hideout was deserted when we got up. Corvan told us Lashonna had invited him and some "select friends" to a late dinner meeting on the 2nd Day of Reaping. So we were stuck in Alhaster for another two days. Corvan spent the morning visiting Lanthis in prison and trying to cheer him up, and we met back at the Main Evant.

I understood that the closed court session for Lanthis would take place in the throne room. I needed a quiet place to spy on the deliberations so I rented one of the rooms above for the horrendous sum of 5 gp! The friendly lady who appeared to own the room gave me an odd look when I asked to be alone. I'm not sure what she was expecting. Since I had been in the throne room yesterday it was a simple task to cast Clairaudience and listen in.

The Blessed Angels seemed to have managed to get an invite list to the party - better than what I had managed! Prince Zeech sentenced Lanthis to instruct his guards at all the labour camps along the coast in physical exercise, and return to Alhaster when finished. The Kordite flock received similar sentences, but for guards and servants on the construction site within Alhaster.

Afterwards I suggested we make plans to kidnap Loris Raknian and haul his sorry ass to, I mean, deliver him for justice in Greyhawk. Ulfgard immediately suggested we obtain one of the Prince's stagecoaches and trick Loris into entering it. I suddenly realised I had the perfect spell for that kind of task but I needed to write it into my spellbook. I immediately set to work, and told the others to purchase a covered wagon.

I know that Corvan, Ulfgard, Jolan and Tobias did at least one dummy run from the Deluxury to a quiet spot near the arena shaded by trees. I worked on forging a letter from Prince Zeech: "Please attend me at the Arena. I have decided its future. We have matters of material importance to discuss alone."

I managed to write Major Image into my spellbook before midnight.

2nd Day of Reaping

Anlan's Amazing Apartment inside Ogre's Hideout

We discussed our plan to kidnap Loris Raknian and there were a few failure points we couldn't address. We decided to wait until after our meeting with Lashonna tonight.

I make good use of the time by writing Hallucintory Terrain into my spellbook.

When Lashonna said a late dinner, she meant a late dinner! A half-orc called Kelgorn arrived to pick us up at the Ogre's Hideout. It wasn't until midnight that we arrived at her table for a meal. Her palace is very luxurious. Lady Lashonna is very pretty.

She is also much more than we thought. During the dinner she revealed the following:

She is a Watcher, looking out for signs of the Worm God and the Ebon Triad, which is just a front for the cult of K'yuss
Bucknard visited 20 years ago during the inter-regnum with Prince Zeech conquering Alhaster
Bucknard vanished magically after declaring "he had learned enough", leaving a collection of notes and a journal behind. She gave us this material. I assume they are copies.

Her grandfather and father were involved in battles at Kuluth-Mar
A druidic order known as the Order of the Storm bound K'yuss within Kuluth-Mar with the obsidian wall
The Order fled to the island of Tilagor in the Nyr Div, and there founded a library containing all their history and secrets. It is rumoured that the library has extradimensional components and thus is not entirely on this plane of existence
The island is protected by a never-ending storm. Any ship within 10 miles of the island is sunk by this storm. The druids left a way in for those seeking the secrets guarded on the island
A red dragon called Dragotha took the black obelisk, and both her grandfather and father spent their lives searching for Dragotha
Tiamat killed Dragotha, who was immediately remade as a dracolich by the will of K'yuss
The dracolich Dragotha arrived at Wormcrawl Fissure, 200 miles north of Alhaster. Her father led an army towards the fissure, instructing Lashonna to remain with the reinforcements
Dragotha was not surprised by this attack and a pitch battle ensued, with Dragotha converting most of the army to K'yuss zombies. Bolstered by the new recruits, Dragotha counterattacked the reinforcements
The phylactery of Dragotha was captured by the first army and safely returned to the reinforcements. Lashonna did not know why the phylactery was not destroyed on the battlefield

Unfortunately all this is known to a High Priest of Vecna called Darl Quethos thanks to a traitorous former employee called Heskin.

Lady Lashonna then showed us where Heskin was located via a scrying mirror tastefully hidden in a decorated wardrobe. I must learn how to cast this spell!

Heskin was tied to the mast of a ship crewed by half-orcs, caught in a fierce storm. We also saw a red-skinned efreet, a bird-man Kenku with a repeating crossbow, and a towering man in flowing blue robes with a repeating eye design (Darl Quethos!).

Darl Quethos noticed the scrying sensor and killed Heskin by touching him with his strangely rotted hand. I recognised the man then - he was the one in the vision, the one of the cackling man attaching a mummified hand to the stump of his arm. Darl Quethos possesses the Hand of Vecna!

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #95 ship prep Reply with quote

3rd Day of Reaping

Magepoint

Dearest Allustan

I couldn't wait to teleport out of Alhaster to Magepoint and meet with Tenser again. As soon as we arrived at the All-Seeing Eye, I asked the innkeeper to send a message to Tenser that we were back in town.

I picked up my magic light crossbow but before I could do some serious spell study, Corvan and Tobias wanted to report to the Temple of Pelor in Greyhawk. Fine! We teleported to Greyhawk, and the two religious types went off to debrief. I went off to help out around the place but all they could find for me was a little Prestidigitation cleaning and burning biohazardous material. Being a 15th level wizard is really awesome. Maybe if I had a staff, people would take me more seriously.

After an intolerably long period of time (actually only 3 hours) Corvan and Tobias returned carrying a book. Something about what to do with a lich's phylactery. They promised to let me read it. I asked them in some detail on what the Temple of Pelor were providing the ENTIRE party to fight Kyuss. The two negotiator newbies couldn't give me a clear answer, so I assume the answer was very little.

Back at Magepoint I was pleased to hear that Tenser expected us for dinner. I enjoyed looking up the Hand of Vecna (and the Eye) in the library there. Cold damage upon touch, 3 times/day permanently drains victim's ability scores and transfers them to the host for a day, 1/day blasphemy and unholy aura. Can summon evil outsiders with it. Can be destroyed by arranging for a god to walk on it or the tarrasque to eat it. I don't know the tarrasque personally but maybe Jolan knows someone divine with a bad temper.

Dinner was a grand affair and I think I reported to Tenser the essence of what we had found out in Alhaster. Tenser seemed to think Lady Lashonna was a silver dragon in human form. There was much discussion on the logistics of getting to Tilagor and we decided:

1. Jolan should find some half-orc seamen to crew a ship;
2. We should purchase one of the abandoned ships off the coast near Magepoint for 3,000 gp, and not expect to keep the ship intact by the time we arrive at Tilagor;
3. I should write a scroll of Plane Shift (thanks Tenser) into my spellbooks so we can escape the island once we complete our mission there;
4. If we find the phylactery of Dragotha, we should destroy it immediately;
5. If we find the Hand of Vecna, we should find a Sphere of Annihilation and throw it in. I should take out my Talisman of the Sphere occasionally and see if it tingles to determine if a Sphere is nearby.

Tenser gave me a Staff of Abjuration! It looks really cool, particularly with the scorching at one end, and with it I can do the following:

Shield
Resist Energy
Dispel Magic
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability
Dismissal
Repulsion

I also asked Tenser about his thoughts on casting spells with such purity of thought that one does not have to use a material component to control the charge. He said he would give me his notes on the subject.

Tenser gave Ulfgard a Helm of Teleportation - everyone seems to be able to teleport around these days!

Tomorrow we set sail across the Nyr Div!

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> BGNZ Age of Worms All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: