NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best RPGs of 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Here's mine:

1. Apocalypse World. Wonderfully evokes the world (well, enough that the rest naturally comes out in play). The mechanics create great stories - I've had the edge of my seat feeling as dice fall, to see if it is a good or bad roll, but never as often. Fun to MC (=GM) as well, with a nice, natural flow to things.

2. Fiasco. Never has failing at terrible plans been so much fun.

These are mine as well. I played both at cons (Gateway and Neoncon respectively) and among my post-Christmas missions is to buy both for myself.

MikeSands wrote:
And throwing Luke's "the game is supposed to come out this year" out the window...

The subversion of the thread is almost as traditional as Luke posting it in the first place!

Mine are:
Diaspora (2009) which finally answered my long running quest for a Hard sci-fi game; and Dogs in the Vineyard (2004) which I finally played this year.

Next year I plan to play Mountain Witch, so look out for that in next years list. Wink

I'm also looking forward to the much awaited summer release of Psi*Run, the ashcan of which was great fun at Confusion 08.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
A random GW image of a 3 PC party: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w137/mjk333/GammaParty.jpg

The clockwork ducks are some sort of gestalt PC? That's totally sweet.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
Luke wrote:
A random GW image of a 3 PC party: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w137/mjk333/GammaParty.jpg

The clockwork ducks are some sort of gestalt PC? That's totally sweet.

My guess is that it Rat Swarm + Robot, but I could be wrong. My favourite remains the Hawkoid + Yeti that someone made an Owlbear Smile
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. My favourite game of recent times was released in December 2009, and I did not even see a copy until January 2011. Can I still include it in a "best of 2010" list?

Anyway, the game is "Beat to Quarters", a co-operative game set on one of the Royal Navy's vessels during the Napoleonic (or Revolutionary) wars. I enjoyed it so much that I posted a review up at RPGNet:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15141.phtml

Of the games I actually read (if not played) in 2010, I did think "Gamma World" was great.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool review.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeythorn wrote:
Hmmm. My favourite game of recent times was released in December 2009, and I did not even see a copy until January 2011. Can I still include it in a "best of 2010" list?

Yes!

Mikeythorn wrote:
Anyway, the game is "Beat to Quarters", a co-operative game set on one of the Royal Navy's vessels during the Napoleonic (or Revolutionary) wars. I enjoyed it so much that I posted a review up at RPGNet:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15141.phtml

I heard about that when I was going through a bit of a naval phase last year, but I didn't find a review as detailed as yours. I'm sold! Thanks!
My LJ
itowlson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a few sessions of "Beat to Quarters" at the end of last year and had a blast. I don't have anything to add to mikeythorn's excellent review, but I found the game easy to pick up, full of flavour and thoroughly entertaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: