NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horror
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Omen (the original).

Nothing tops that. Even The Exorcist is laughable now. But The Omen always stands the test of time.
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite dig horror films, surpisingly enough. I haven't seen very many the past couple of years that actually caught my interest, but I do keep half an eye out.

Ringu and Ju-on are my top 2 picks. I haven't bothered watching the american versions, so I can't say what they're like.

3rd pick is hard.

For a "personal horror" for lack of a better term, I think Memento is solid. Let the Right One In is good, but it didn't hit me on the "horror" side so much. And the wife who's extremely sensitive to most stuff in the horror genre, quite liked the film as well; I think she only covered her eyes once or twice.

I also happened to like Blair Witch, although I think it suffered from over-hype by fans etc. For what it was doing/trying to do, I think it did a pretty good job.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input everyone. A very interesting selection, which I shall begin working my way through forthwith! Very Happy

Dale has suggested a second round of inquiry: what would be your three favourite horror roleplaying products?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Thanks for your input everyone. A very interesting selection, which I shall begin working my way through forthwith! Very Happy

Dale has suggested a second round of inquiry: what would be your three favourite horror roleplaying products?

Dread, Delta Green Countdown and One Shots for Unknown Armies. All three for the scnearios, though the first for the system as well.
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer what I call "action horror", since it's usually not about the same sort of stuff that Call of Cthulhu is about.

1. Dread/Spite The books of Pandemonium. Done by Neoplastic Press. Not sure how long it'll last, but you can get Dread and several other supplements for free, and Spite for only $2 U.S. on rpgnow/drivethru. This isn't Jenga Dread; it relies on dice pools of d12s. Probably the biggest mark against it from the average gamer's view.

For $2, it's awfully hard to go wrong.

2. Beyond the Supernatural (1st ed). Done by Palladium. Sure, the system isn't great, but I played the hell out of it back in the day and had a lot of fun.

3. Nightbane/Nightspawn. Also by Palladium. This is more in the "you're a monster too" sort of setting. It's a nice complement to BtS and fine enough in its own right. Unlike BtS, it's got several supplements.

For general noodling of ideas, Delta Green has a fair amount going for it. I haven't really gone in-depth with my books, having acquired them shortly before moving out here and then being preoccupied with other stuff. I've got the d20 version which is dual-statted, Countdown, and Eyes Only.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three horror-RPG things? Hmm. These might seem random.

* Original AD&D Ravenloft module. In my experience, this actually worked as a genuine horror experience - it takes power-fantasy play and upends it with an overwhelming, terrifying threat. The gothic dress is a sideshow - the huge emptiness of the castle with the roaming deadly villain is where it hits horror notes.

* CoC's "With Malice Aforethought" is maybe the only CoC game I've played in that really got me a few times. I have no idea what the product is like but the game experience was great, so it gets tapped.

* OGL Horror - I like Gar's lengthy advice section and think this is one of the best "generic" horror systems around. Beats the pants off CoC D20 released around the same time, that's for sure.

(Asides: Dread jenga and Dread free-on-RPGnow-right-now both have sterling reputations. Never played either of them. Kult is another one with a rock-solid rep. I've got a supplement for it, which I've skimmed. Never played.)
Highwayman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

That's hard. I guess I like the flavour of the original World of Darkness stuff. It was diluted a lot by splat books, but the actual original base books were pretty good, particularly Wraith.

Psychosis: Ship of fools was a pretty cool system/module, it started very surreal, but in practice it became very gamist near the end

I found Cthulutech to be surprisingly good at a horror campaign as well.

All that said, my basic belief is that horror is in how a module is run rather than the strict plot points or characters. The favorite horror games that I've run were KapCon one-offs (The one based on ConspiracyX, and "Living in Denial: An Egyptian adventure") and my first Fright Night offering.

Favorite horror that I've played in? I've played in the Call of Cthulu "Orient Express" campaign, which was very good (although apparently heavily modified). The Fright-Night games have all been custom written.

Anyway, my $0.02

Cheers
Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: