NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LARP Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
no rectangulars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a really cool idea! You could have factions get together and rp some of their relationship stuff, really get to know each other IC.
It might end up changing some 'facts' for the real game, but flexible writing could probably cope with it, or else what other characters think just ends up being wrong
eg you know Cameron and Maia are together, they've even made plans to get married. Surprise - they actually had an argument and broke up in the pre-larp, but you only found out now.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
That is a very interesting idea Grant. What structure do you think that would have? What potential for change of situation going into the LARP would be?

Well, my vague thought was that the feeder LARPs would need to resolve something themselves. To minimise plot problems, I'd suggest setting the feeder LARPs just before the main one. That way it will have a minimal change of situation.

For some people, it might be possible to have a couple of alternate-endings printed out. Say someone has been 'watching', if you prepare two bits of paper:
"Bob came out looking jubilent, and wearing a sash"
and
"Bob was depressed and obviously defeated when he came out"
Then it might be possible to get some limited interaction between the feeder and the Main LARP.

Obviously you would want to do as little of this as possible, because it would make things very complicated.

But yeah, the idea was what no-rectangulars said, you get a bit of extra time for roleplaying, exploring relationships, and enjoying the characters. One of the comments that I've heard after each LARP that I've been in, and the one that I've organised, was that there weren't really enough characters who didn't have plots, that people could just enjoy. Somehow I made the leap to feeder-LARPs.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there and see what people thought.

Cheers
Grant
icehawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
To minimise plot problems, I'd suggest setting the feeder LARPs just before the main one. That way it will have a minimal change of situation.

If straight before the other characters' sheets could simply say event X is happening and they're waiting to see how it will turn out. And the main LARP will start with lots of questions being asked about what happened in the feeder LARP(s).

Another option is to set the feed LARP a long time before, so far back that it's giving backstory about how characters perceive each other, but not really changing details of the world that are relevant to the "current" plot.

Quote:

But yeah, the idea was what no-rectangulars said, you get a bit of extra time for roleplaying, exploring relationships, and enjoying the characters.

I'm keen on the mechanic used in some LARPs of having each faction play among itself for a while in one room before everyone comes together in the main LARP area. This seems in many ways to be an extension of that.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:

If straight before the other characters' sheets could simply say event X is happening and they're waiting to see how it will turn out. And the main LARP will start with lots of questions being asked about what happened in the feeder LARP(s).

I hadn't thought about that, that would be very cool

Quote:

Another option is to set the feed LARP a long time before, so far back that it's giving backstory about how characters perceive each other, but not really changing details of the world that are relevant to the "current" plot.

It would be cool, but logistically harder, since you might need to print off background sheets between round 3 and the LARP if the characters do something unexpected.

Quote:

I'm keen on the mechanic used in some LARPs of having each faction play among itself for a while in one room before everyone comes together in the main LARP area. This seems in many ways to be an extension of that.

It is, and it has the benefit that it doesn't take time away from the General LARP.

Cheers
Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: