NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masks of Nyarlathotep - Pulp Edition Rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Masks of Nyarlathotep - Pulp Edition Rules Reply with quote

CHARACTER GENERATION
You are encouraged to create characters who are proficient in both investigation skills and combat skills, and weave a background – however tenuous – to justify this. Your characters are also like the heroes of a movie and are therefore faster, stronger, smarter and have greater willpower than ordinary people. Use the following rules for character generation:
STR: 2D6+6
DEX: 2D6+6
CON: 2D6+6
INT: 2D6+6
POW: 2D6+6
SIZ: 2D6+6
EDU: 3D6+3
APP: 3D6

If you roll a POW of less than 10, re-roll until you get a POW of 11 or better.

Skill Point allocations are done as normal (Career = EDUx20, Personal INTx10) only all weapon skills, including all hand-to-hand and Dodge are considered career skills. Martial Arts must still be purchased using personal or career points.

FATE POINTS
Each new character begins the game with 1D3 Fate Points. Fate Points represent the heroic and death defying nature of the character. Fate points can be used in the following ways:

1. When a character suffers an injury that would normally have caused their hit points to drop below 0, a fate point may be spent to miraculously avoid that injury.

2. If a character suffers a temporary insanity that would lasts longer than 3 rounds, they may spend a Fate Point to reduce the time to 1D3 rounds.

3. Between chapters a Fate Point may be spent to instantly gain 2D6 sanity points (which cannot exceed beginning sanity point total). This spend requires a narration to explain the character’s sudden feeling of wellbeing.

Characters gain 1 Fate Point for the completion of each chapter of Masks of Nyarlathotep.

FORTUNE POINTS
Each session, every player gains fortune points equal to their current total Fate Points (these refresh between sessions). These represent the characters importance as a protagonist as manifested by dumb luck. Fortune points may be spent in the following ways:

1. To re-roll any skill check or failed resistance table check.
2. To automatically succeed on a Luck roll.

MAJOR WOUNDS
We will be using the BRP Major Wound table. A summary without the detail is provided below (without the extra detail). When your character suffers a single injury which causes damage equal to 50% of your total hit points, the character has suffered a Major Wound.

01-10 Severed limb tendon 81-90 Wound to vitals
11-20 Facial injury 91-92 Severe facial or vocal cord injury
21-30 Wrist or Hand damage 93-94 Broken bones and severed ganglia
31-40 Punctured Lung 95-96 Nerve damage to an arm
41-50 Concussion damage 97-98 Nerve damage to both arms
51-60 Severe limb injury 99 Mutilation
61-70 Severe Facial injury 00 Multiple Mutilations
71-80 Severe Wrist or hand injury

COMBAT
In addition to the normal combat rules from Call of Cthulhu we will be using the following additional rules from BRP which replace their Call of Cthulhu predecessors:

Dodge
You may dodge any successful attack made against you (from melee or range), and do not need to declare a dodge in advance – it is a free response. Your first Dodge is made at full skill chance. If you face more attacks in the round, you may also attempt to Dodge these, but each subsequent Dodge attempt suffers a -30% cumulative penalty.

Parry
You may parry any successful melee attack made against you. If you choose this option you may not Dodge as well. If you parry with a weapon intended for this purpose (sword, spear etc.), you use your full weapon skill with this weapon - if successful the weapon takes all the damage from the attack. If you attempt to parry with a weapon not intended for parrying (a firearm etc.) you use half your normal chance with this weapon. If you face more attacks in the round, you may also attempt to Parry these, but each subsequent Parry attempt suffers a -30% cumulative penalty.

Fight Defensively
You may elect to fight defensively if you take no offensive actions during a combat round. In this case your subsequent Dodge checks to not suffer the cumulative -30% penalty.

Agility Check
Work out your DEX x5 as a percentage – this is your Agility check. This will determine your ability to perform challenging combat manouvers

Initiative
Initiative is done as DEX+1D10 at the beginning of a combat encounter.

MAGIC & MYTHOS
You may choose to start with knowledge of the Cthulhu Mythos. If you choose this option you gain 1D6+1 points of Cthulhu Mythos and loose an equal number of Sanity Points during character creation.
You may also elect to start the game having read 1 Mythos Tome. The tomes you may have chosen to read, their benefits and spells are as follows:

Book of Eibon – Liber Ivonis
Sanity Loss: 1D4/2D4
Cthulhu Mythos: +13%
Spells: Call/Dismiss Azathoth, Call/Dismiss Rlim Shaikorth, Contact Formless Spawn of Zhothaqquah, Contact Deity Kthulhut, Contact Deity Yok Zothoth, Create Barrier of Naach-Tith, Create Gate, Create Mist of Releh, Deflect Harm, Eibon’s Wheel of Mist, Enchant Brazier, Enchant Knife, Levitate, Voorish Sign, Wither Limb.

The Seven Cryptic Books of Earth
Sanity Loss: 1D4/1D8
Cthulhu Mythos: +8%
Spells: Call down Spirit, Call forth Earth Spirit, Contact Ghoul, Contact Hound of Time, Dread Curse of Azathoth, Door to Kadath, Restore Life.

De Vermis Mysteriis
Sanity Loss: 1D6/2D6
Cthulhu Mythos: +12%
Spells: Contact Deity Biatis, Contact Deity Yig, Create Plutonian Drug, Create Scrying Window, Create Zombie, Invoke Demon, Invoke Child of the Goat, Invoke Invisible Servant, Prinns Crux Ansata, Mind Transfer, Command Ghost, Voorish Sign.

The Sussex Manuscript
Sanity Loss: 1D3/1D6
Cthulhu Mythos: +7%
Spells: Call/Dismiss Shub-Niggurath, Contact Ghoul, Dominate, Dread Curse of Azathoth, Dust of Suleiman, Elder Sign, Powder of Ibn-Ghazi, Resurreaction, Shrivelling, Summon/Bind Byakhee, Summon/Bind Fire Vampire
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comments:

Why APP 3D6 and not 2D6+6? Smile

The 1D3 Fate Points would cause a lot of power differential based on a single roll. How about setting Fate Points (and Fortune Points) at 2, or allowing the players to choose certain advantages instead of Fate Points to balance it out, such as knowing Cthulhu Mythos. Or allowing PCs to have 4 Fate or Fortune Points and allowing them to choose the balance?

Have you considered awarding Fortune Points for cool stuff in game, rather than having a set amount?

If a Fate Point is expended to avoid an injury, is the PC still up and fighting or unconscious? WFRP2e uses the later and it is quite different from the former.

Can you use Fate Points to avoid permanent insanities?

When you reroll on the Fortune Points, do you have to accept the second roll?

I assume the cumulative penalty on Dodges and Parries will cumulative between the two actions. So if you Dodge one blow, then Parry the next, the Parry is at -30%
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 1D3 Fate Points would cause a lot of power differential based on a single roll. How about setting Fate Points (and Fortune Points) at 2, or allowing the players to choose certain advantages instead of Fate Points to balance it out, such as knowing Cthulhu Mythos. Or allowing PCs to have 4 Fate or Fortune Points and allowing them to choose the balance?

Well, I always liked that they were rolled for in WFRP - because it's like fate... I suppose it could be 1D3+1 to reduce the spread a little. As for trade offs, I don't think there's anything that would seem a good trade off for a fate point - certainly not Cthulhu Mythos which results in a San hit - plus I prefer not encouraging character optimisation outside skill points.

Quote:
Have you considered awarding Fortune Points for cool stuff in game, rather than having a set amount?

It's a nice idea in theory, but my experience of M&M 2e showed it's not a viable technique for my GM'ing style.

Quote:
If a Fate Point is expended to avoid an injury, is the PC still up and fighting or unconscious? WFRP2e uses the later and it is quite different from the former.

The former, because as you may recall, in this campaign the later is no guarantee of survival in some scenes.

Quote:
Can you use Fate Points to avoid permanent insanities?

No. Permanent insanity will not instantly take you out of a scene, is an important element of Cthulhu and IMHO consistent with the pulp genre.

Quote:
When you reroll on the Fortune Points, do you have to accept the second roll?

You have to accept the second result, unless you wish to spend another Fortune Point - in which case you have to accept that roll.

Quote:
I assume the cumulative penalty on Dodges and Parries will cumulative between the two actions. So if you Dodge one blow, then Parry the next, the Parry is at -30%

This doesn't seem to be the way the BRP rules are written, but I'll check.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I always liked that they were rolled for in WFRP - because it's like fate...

That's true but they also balanced out the racial benefits in WFRP.

I guess your approach here is no different from rolling a good HP, but 1 FP seems to pale against 3FP for what is just a single roll Smile

Quote:
The former, because as you may recall, in this campaign the later is no guarantee of survival in some scenes.

Cool, so you can blow through many FPs in one scene potentially.

As written in WFRP, burning a FP is essentially a "you are down and you will somehow survive another day" resource. So, your approach here is both beneficial and detrimental to the players compared to that approach.
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess your approach here is no different from rolling a good HP, but 1 FP seems to pale against 3FP for what is just a single roll

Yeah, so you sold me on a range of 2-4 as fairer.

Quote:
As written in WFRP, burning a FP is essentially a "you are down and you will somehow survive another day" resource. So, your approach here is both beneficial and detrimental to the players compared to that approach.

Thanks? I actually ran Fate Points the same way in WFRP, because I like to see them as the cinematic elements that can make the fight epic, and empower the players to go all-out to win, yet after such a sequence, the character may actually be diminished and closer to mortality. I think that's consistent with a pulp setting as well - although I'm no expert.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Pulp heroes never really change. In Robin Laws' terms, they're all "Iconic" heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
Yeah, so you sold me on a range of 2-4 as fairer.

What about 1d2+1? That's the range for humans in WFRP.

Dale wrote:
Thanks?

Smile What you suggest will have that effect. I think the point to be made to the players is that FPs are an "avoid a mortal wound" resource not a "survive death" resource. As long as everyone has a common expectation then it should be cool.

The later may actually be more consistent with the kinds of miraculous recovery you see in the pulp genre, though your proposed use is not inconsistent with the pulp genre either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Call of Cthulhu All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: