NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kapcon 21 Web blurb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itowlson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Kapcon 21 Web blurb Reply with quote

Apropos of Idiot's link to the Web site, has anyone looked at updating the blurb? The above-the-fold para describes it as "a weekend of pen-and-paper role-playing;" given that there are LARPs pretty much every round now perhaps we should lose the 'pen-and-paper' qualifier? The same paragraph also advertises "more than 30 individual games" which seems a bit lowball considering there are 15-odd streams per round (though I could be wrong of course).

Also, the full blurb at http://kapcon.org.nz/?q=node/333 ends with "Kapcon XVI Supporters" -- splendid folks all, no doubt, but surely now of only historical interest? And for the D&D crowd, should we be citing 3.5 or 4? (I don't know what the uptake of 4 has been, so this may be deliberate.) Plus since the blurb talks about requesting favourite games, it might also be good to mention Games on Demand: not quite the same thing, I know, but a remarkable and unusual feature all the same.

On a more subjective note, the blurb doesn't seem to do much of a sales job. As a curious punter, do I care about how many times GMs run games, or what terminology options they enjoy, or that they are volunteers? Or the tax structure? Well, okay, maybe I do, but are these things so important that they belong in the TLDR paragraph? I think we could bring the 'hooks' to the front without losing the essentials. No specific wording in mind, but happy to try to work up a draft if people think it would be worthwhile.
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Eeet!
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*like*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit: Ignore that, it's been updated.]
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like to see what you come up with
itowlson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
[Edit: Ignore that, it's been updated.]

Has it? I still see the "more than 30 individual games" blurb.
mundens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've modified the reference to a specific D&D version, quickly added Games on Demand to the extended info, and removed the reference to "pen & paper" role-playing.

Though I think initially that was put in there to distinguish us from CRPGs, not LARPS, these days "pen & paper" rpgs are becoming at least "computer-aided" and sometimes don;t have an pen & paper at all. (I know I use my iPad for both of the two games i regularly play in)

It's true "more than 30" is a conservative estimate, but as many games run multiple times and we often have games that run in every session, and not all sessions have a full stream complement, the total number of different games is usually not as high as ( number of streams x number of rounds) so it's safer to say a lower number. That being said, maybe our stats guy could give us a higher number that wouldn't be wrong.

As to the list of supporters, actually every page in the site ends with the current KapCon Supporters, and they're also visible down the right hand side-bar, and this (advertising) is one of the things we give them in return for the support they give us.

This should be being updated for each KapCon based on who is actually supporting us this year. Some supporters (like Wargames Supply, and Steve Jackson Games) do support us almost every year, so the change may not be obvious.

Also, if people make deals with various game companies for stuff and want their suppliers listed for the relevant KapCon, they need to let us know to add them to the Supporters list, coz otherwise we won't know to do it.

As to the text not doing a sales job, it's not currently designed to do a sales job, it's supposed to provide information about what KapCon is. I'm not saying it couldn't be modified to also act as sales blurb, but that's not what it was initially designed for.

The "not-for-profit" bit is primarily to make it clear that this convention (unlike many of the ones in Europe or the USA) is not run by a commercial organization, and so that if we ever get questioned by IRD we can point at it and say "but please sir that's what we thought we were doing"

Because legally we're not actually a not-for-profit organization as to become one of those costs money, and takes more organization than we could bothered with, like actually needing properly audited books , and a real constitution and like. Remember KapCon is still not an official organization, because those running it didn't want it to be one.

This text was also put together so that when we asked companies like Steve Jackson games to provide us with free stuff, and linked to our website to show them what we were doing, it answered the sort of questions that companies like them would ask (how many players? for profit? how much gaming, etc)

Having said all that, I'd be keen to see how people would prefer it to read taking into account what I've said above.

David Formosa on alt.sex.stories.discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: