NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Party idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benedict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Party idea Reply with quote

I have had to spawn another thread because the forum wasn't letting me reply to the last thread.

Angus wrote:
So, our set-up so far is that we have a central character who is a nobleman from Ophir, who unsuccesfully attempted to usurp the throne of Ophir and has fled the country with his enemies in pursuit.

Options for characters are to be buddies or retainers (including slaves) of the nobleman, or a foreign ally he has sought shelter from.

Great. So the noble is pretty much the nucleating point of the party (but by no means the most important person). The other members of the party should either be companions of his who followed him into exile or who have joined him during his flight for some reason, perhaps as mercenaries of some sort.

Quote:
What if our nobleman is the acknowledged bastard son of the late king. However he has discovered that the new king's father was not, in fact, the late king.

Of course evidence of the king's paternity has been destroyed, or cannot be proven, and no-one except his closest companions believes him.

Nice and Chivalry & Sorcery. But here's my take, which I think is just a little bit more dramatic. The noble wasn't due to inheret and was fairly happy to see his uncle or older brother or whatever inheret. After the change in ruler however, our young noble notices things aren't going well. Either he catches the new ruler consorting with demons or is suspicious of the fact that the palace guard has been replaced by Kothian mercenaries. He gets more concrete evidence and draws plans for a palace coup. However, his coup is foiled and he flees under pursuit, where we pick up the story.

So the noble has an enemy back home, is being pursued by assassins and is believed by the populace to be a greedy would-be usurper. He has some snatches of information that could bring down the evil ruler, but how can he use them? And what is to become of his people under the dispicable evil ruler?

Also, though we'll assume he is for the moment, he needn't be from Ophir. We will choose the land when we have decided more about the story. Ophir looks like a good choice at the moment, but Aquilonia has neighbouring barbarians lands and Argos has a coast (the noble could flee with a friendly pirate band).
Angus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brythunia couldight be another place to start. Much more dull than Ophir (although I'm not basing that on much information), but borders onto Cimmeria (which would be a great place for our protagonist to seek shelter), Hyperboria, and a big desert.

We might not want to start in Aquilonia, because, in at least one Mongoose module, Conan is the king.

Your story sounds great Ben.

Have you considered that the details of the story could be fleshed out only by the player of the nobleman and the GM. The rest of the players hear the story from the nobleman player, so never know exactly what is true.
Benedict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
Brythunia couldight be another place to start. Much more dull than Ophir (although I'm not basing that on much information), but borders onto Cimmeria (which would be a great place for our protagonist to seek shelter), Hyperboria, and a big desert.

I had dismissed Brythunia as I had thought it would just be like Cossack clans. However, on closer reading it sounds like it is like medieval Baltic populated by Rohrirrim, which could be interesting.

Quote:
Have you considered that the details of the story could be fleshed out only by the player of the nobleman and the GM. The rest of the players hear the story from the nobleman player, so never know exactly what is true.

I think the GM should do most of the fleshing out as he will be the one that will have to turn it into an ongoing adventure. It could also be good if there was a lot that the player didn't know so that part of the adventure is solving the myster of what is really going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: