NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ars Magica covenant
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict wrote:
Mikeythorn wrote:
I think I favour Cyprus or Palermo - I can't quite work out which is the most appealing though. Palermo is pretty close to North Africa though and is a jumping off point for crusaders - so the base there might also involve contact with the Muslim world.

I agree. Let's go with Palermo.

I'll add a page to the wiki so we can get started.

Let me humbly suggest John Julius Norwich's excellent book, 'The Normans in Sicily' as a fantastic resource for this place and period, then?
Benedict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoidberg wrote:
Let me humbly suggest John Julius Norwich's excellent book, 'The Normans in Sicily' as a fantastic resource for this place and period, then?

Cheers. I see they have it at the library. And it's in tn the children's section, so it should be an easy read.
Benedict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more thoughts Mike? Have you recalled anything from your Palermo notes?

I was imagining that the covenant could start consisting simply of a townhouse in the city, housing the members of the covenant and the library, and a cargo ship and warehouse space for the business concerns. The covenant is tiny and the accommodation is temporary. The idea being that the covenant will evolve.

Another alternative is that rather than start with a covenant, the establishing of the covenant could be the first adventure of the saga. The characters could meet at the tribunal, say, having just finished their apprenticeship, all ready to set up a covenant. And we go from there (with a few things set up to nudge things in the right direction), with the new magi having to find a site for the covenant, hire grogs etc. This could one of the one-offs we play before Pendragon to hopefully get the other guys interested in Ars.
Mikeythorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either option sounds brilliant. I especially love the idea that the covenant has shipping business interests. That has so much possibility for adventure!

I couldn't find any of my old Palermo notes. They may be in a box somewhere, but I suspect I threw them out. My covenant idea wasn't nearly as good as your though - I had a cliched abandoned and dilapidated castle inland from the city.
Zoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading Lampedusa's 'The Leopard' as well - though the era is wrong it perfectly captures the essence of feudal Sicily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Descarte All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: