NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAGA 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: SAGA 2007 Reply with quote

What's going down in the 03 at the moment guys?

I'm getting pretty excited about Buckets already (maybe I'm just desperate for gaming!) and I have a few ideas for running a series of shorter games.

Anyone else playtesting, running one-offs, or interesting campaigns?

Lets get some traffic!
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you know we're building up to a monthly vampire game, which should help emphasis that Larps are still out there - something we don't get much of in Christchurch.

I'm writing that game concept 'Shards of God', as mentioned over Christmas, hoping to run that at the Saga introductory day. For those reading who haven't been on livejournal, I'm running a game where God needs to be redefined to be relevant to the modern day. Shards of Gods consciousness fight for their specified ideology in various scenes, leading to a new version of God and God's vision of what humanity is.

I'm also going to be running a few sessions of an 'Introduction to Roleplaying' during daytime in my Uni office for a handful of people who haven't played at all and want to give it a go in a less committed environment. Thus, it looks like I have 5 girls wanting to play. Now THATS amusing.
I'm thinking of a couple of simple sessions of D&D to get some basic concepts in, then show them a couple of simple alternative games like Wilderness of Mirrors and my olde one off game about the Insane Asylum. If they are still game to continue, I'll check to see what Genre they want to play.
As Becky pointed out, the more people I run through introductory games, the larger potential audience we get for Live Games (which, to me, is the 5 Day Test Match of roleplaying).

I have no idea who is supposed to be running the Live game for BoD this year. I know we had a couple of ideas, but I'm going to be too busy. James was looking at asking Scottie if he could do anything, but contact Larps indoors suffer several problems.

Hows that for starting some traffic? eh eh!
You going to play or run anything in the US?
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we discussed this at Christmas, but I still think you should start simpler than D&D - or more exciting perhaps. But you know it, so I'm sure you can pitch it in the right way. I will measure your success by how many olf them play at Buckets Very Happy

If the LARP falls through this year, I think the Friday should be used for a pre-con drinks somewhere, a la Kapcon.

I'm probably going to go to OrcCon in a couple of weeks. John Wick (7th Sea, Wilderness of Mirrors) will be running his new fantasy game, Houses of the Blooded, which looks pretty cool, and a Wilderness of Mirrors game, so i might check out how the writer plays it Smile

I'm working on a Western game with Mash, so I hope to playtest that a few times here, and run it at Buckets. I'd also like to spend all of one of the days running a bunch of short games and demos - say 2 hours each, but I'll have to see how many of the games on my to-buy list end up getting bought by then.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

If the LARP falls through this year, I think the Friday should be used for a pre-con drinks somewhere, a la Kapcon.

Or a pre-con party. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A venue at which we could drink, party and play board games would be cool. But I was thinking of a more gamer focused event that the out-of-towners and the many SAGAites whop don't attend KAOS parties might want to come to.
My LJ
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

A venue at which we could drink, party and play board games would be cool. But I was thinking of a more gamer focused event that the out-of-towners and the many SAGAites whop don't attend KAOS parties might want to come to.

Heh, I guess so. I prefer to go to parties myself. The environment seems more relaxed at parties than in a bar. But boardgames are always good too, if you can find somewhere there are enough tables to play them.

I don't think the out of towners who turn up to buckets would be more likely to turn up to drinks at a bar than a party. One year we managed to drag a number of them along to the Kaos parties, even after the larp. But for the roleplaying/non party going locals I guess it would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't necessarily mean a bar. There aren't really any I'd go to in Christchurch. Some sort of social gathering anyway. Maybe an extra session of gaming!
My LJ
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a venue we can drink alchohol AND roleplay, as a single session of frivolity and ridiculousness before the rest of the con ;)

I'm starting with D&D because a number of the players wanted to be able to say that they had played D&D - and was their primary motivation for playing. Odd!
I may start them on the asylum game, I had a good track record with new players in that scenario.
Javelin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Adams wrote:
How about a venue we can drink alchohol AND roleplay, as a single session of frivolity and ridiculousness before the rest of the con Wink

You know, I might just be able to think of such a place...

Now I want to get a keg of Icebreaker and a whole bunch of shotglasses and run a game of D&D where each shot = 1hp...
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Adams wrote:
How about a venue we can drink alchohol AND roleplay, as a single session of frivolity and ridiculousness before the rest of the con Wink

Personally, I like the idea, but ideally it would be close to backpackers' and the like in town. I suspect it wouldn't work particularly well in Christchurch though, the central city nightlife is a different animal to Wellington.

Nick_Adams wrote:
I'm starting with D&D because a number of the players wanted to be able to say that they had played D&D - and was their primary motivation for playing. Odd!
I may start them on the asylum game, I had a good track record with new players in that scenario.

Oh well, if it's what the people want! Very Happy

Yeah, the Asylum game probably is a starter. More roleplaying, less crunch.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin wrote:

Now I want to get a keg of Icebreaker and a whole bunch of shotglasses and run a game of D&D where each shot = 1hp...

Oh the humanity!
My LJ
Adrexia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

Personally, I like the idea, but ideally it would be close to backpackers' and the like in town. I suspect it wouldn't work particularly well in Christchurch though, the central city nightlife is a different animal to Wellington.

Better or worse, cause you know, Wellington's isn't all that good.

I guess location could be a factor... a lot of us don't bring transport with us. What time do buses usually run till?
Javelin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
Javelin wrote:

Oh the humanity!

I'll take that as one player signed up. Wink

Eeeexcellent...
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:

I guess location could be a factor... a lot of us don't bring transport with us. What time do buses usually run till?

Close to midnight on a Friday
My LJ
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Y is okay, DragonsLair in town has several rooms and may be persuaded, Bentleys could be booked if you want to pay per drink.

But it may completely kill Saturday morning games...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> SAGA All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: