NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DnD - Temple of Elemental Evil for Newbies Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: DnD - Temple of Elemental Evil for Newbies Discussion Reply with quote

Just thought I would set up a place for us players to discuss and everyone else to laugh at us.

PLEASE anyone commenting refrain from posting any spoilers and ruining the game for us, this will result in a grumpy GM.

We are three sessions in currently and are at the Moat House. Nick is GM and Tony (Manis) is our token experienced player. We have one guy who is new to roleplaying in the group (Pony) and the rest of us are girls.

Party –

Di – Human Cleric (currently praying at a church of Saint Cuthbert for a month)
Sola Sylvana – Half Elf Druid and her puppy (or fully grown Wolf if you insist Mel) Cathal.
Manis – Half Orc Baird…where do we start…
Captain Spankaloid (Spankie) – Half Elf Barbarian
Jack – Human Rogue
Pony – Human Fighter
Sleet – Human Ranger

We have also taken Elmo with us. While looking for a name for my wolf and typing the name meaning “protector” into babynames.com his name came up so I figured he might be handy.

I am playing the Druid and I have not been a particularly good one thus far – should not have thrown stones at a fellow Druid (I thought ravens were bad opps) or listened to those stupid frogs…( I thought animals would just like me ‘cos I am a druid WRONG).

My current goal is to get Manis and Spanky together. Genetic Diversity is all good and Manis trying to give our money away all the time could adversely impact those players who need us to be a little more mercenary. Manis having to raise money for a love child could solve all that…(yes I realise there are other solutions but BORING). This session I struck a deal curing Manis’s minor wounds (one now, one later) in exchange for Manis taking Spanky on a date (on Manis’s provision she does not do anything evil for the rest of the day). Spanky for her part even tried to be nice to the Gnolls before having to resort to Berserker Rage when they would not accept her money and food. It is a pity Manis doesn’t like Spanky and thinks she is evil – I am hoping he will try and make her good and fall for her in the process.

Elmo and Sleet also appear to be getting cosy – though Sleet perhaps is leading Elmo on to get support and alcohol.

That will do for now. I think I have made this girly enough…
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool.

I've got the original Temple of Elemental Evil suppliment for AD&D, I'd be interested in hearing how you progress Smile

Cheers
Grant
Spanky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Spanky's Plans Reply with quote

Heloo... I'm the aforementioned Spanky. Being evil is WAY fun! I'm gonna try and seduce Manis for a wee while longer, then I'm giving up. Kicking ass is much more fun than kissing ass. MUAHAHAHAHA...!!!! (continues sniffing my bag of dead spiders)
Javelin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spanky's Plans Reply with quote

Spanky wrote:
Heloo... I'm the aforementioned Spanky. Being evil is WAY fun! I'm gonna try and seduce Manis for a wee while longer, then I'm giving up. Kicking ass is much more fun than kissing ass. MUAHAHAHAHA...!!!! (continues sniffing my bag of dead spiders)

Aha! I knew it. There's no way Manis will fall for your cunning plan now...well, his lack of Int and Wis aside that is...
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the aforementioned GM, things will get interesting...

They've already blundered past the monsters in the first level, and set off a bunch of traps and ambushes on the second level!
We get other people wanting to watch the game, and even quiet comments of "TPK" from people around campus...

I'm sure they'll all die this week.
(Yes Becky, I would do that to you)
Javelin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that may come in useful for our newer players. A nice step-by-step flowchart for dealing with encounters...

Becky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kicking ass is much more fun than kissing ass. MUAHAHAHAHA...!!!!

I think you should get back to kicking ass! Manis seems to be uninterested in helping you become less evil. Double standards if you ask me as he is ultra keen on helping Elmo with his apparent alcoholism.

Manis should want to make his parents happy by giving them grandchildren and ensuring that their love is not an evolutionary dead end.

Perhaps I will get over the ickyness of trying to seduce Tony's character and do it myself. If only Nick was playing a female NPC, that would be so much funnier.

Nick says the book always specifies if an NPC is a girl so he won't presume that our captured knoll is a girl Sad

I have asked Nick if unborn babies get hitpoints as surely they would be quite vulnerable and there would need to be a chance of them dying in fights. The real question is how to roll whether or not fertilisation was successful. I keep getting exasperated looks from Nick....

Last edited by Becky on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Becky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick just mentioned I could hire somene to seduce Manis...watching Nick and Tony trying to roleplay that would crack me up.
xyphoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mua ha. Watching this thread.
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Session 4 Reply with quote

O.K this seems rather long. I cannot be bothered spell checking. Here goes some of today…

Today’s session started off with Sylvana curing some of Elmo’s light wounds while Manis tried unsuccessfully to talk to the captured knoll and Sleet searched the knoll’s room. Sleet found some papers and managed to decipher something about “being paid and needing more people”. Manis commented that the “knolls must have been hired to kill the knolls”. The group decided to let the knoll go and Manis gives him 1 silver and 10 copper coins to go on his way. The knoll protesting that we had taken more than this from him convinced Manis to give him another gold piece. Before he left the knoll scribbled something about “annoying people NE” and “big boss SE”.

The party chose to go back towards the North and found that the corridor they had originally come from had been blocked by a slab of concrete. Sleet listens at one of the doors to the North and hears a faint scuffling noise. The door is then opened.

Mel(Sleet): “No Tony there is nothing fapping in the Northern Corridor”

Six Bugbears appeared for our first battle of the day.

Stats
Rounds of combat: 4
Damage done: Elmo >23, Pony >18, Spanky 17, Manis 9, Sleet 7, Sylvana 5 and Cathal 0
Number of Kills: Elmo 2, Sleet, Manis and Pony 1
Damage Taken: Sylvana 16, Sleet 11, Spanky and Pony 8, Cathal 6, Elmo ? and Manis 0

Five Bugbears were killed in this battle and one knocked out with Manis and Elmo subduing it. Sylvana was again severely injured though she managed to stabilize herself. Manis tried to heal her severe facial injury by bandaging her legs. Sleet stepped in and bandaged her face though Manis is sure that it is his efforts that stopped the bleeding. Elmo offers to give Sylvana some of his special concoction however Sleet is suspicious and smells the liquid. Thinking it is alcohol she declines Elmo’s offer. The conscious members of the party then search the room and the dead finding 72 gold pieces and some gems. Sleet also found a silver bracelet on the leader which Manis thinks “Is a bit girly”. The party then decides to sleep after bandaging each others wounds with varying success.

While on watch Sleet hears footsteps and wakes everyone quietly forcing Manis to change out of his pjs. Voices were heard but they seemed to fade away. While on her watch before dawn Spanky sees Elmo sneak up to Sylvana but chooses not to blow his cover. Elmo sprays some liquid on Sylvana from his canteen (curing 9 hit points of damage) and tells her that it’s a special liquid and not to tell the others. Sylvana then learns her spells for the day, more curing wounds without a party cleric and then heals her own and Sleets wounds. Manis then wakes up and catches Elmo drinking alcohol and tries to give him a lecture on the virtues of apple juice. Sleet wakes up and tries to appraise the bracelet and gems but she does not think they are valuable.

The party then goes and opens three doors checking them for traps. None are found and the party concludes they are storage cupboards and goes back southwards in search of the big boss. The party reaches a t junction and chooses to go right finding themselves in a crypt. “Undead Runaway” Manis suggests. Sleet searches and finds smashed bone with teeth in them. Spanky, who unlike the rest of the party seems to have no aversion to the undead, moves further into the crypt and hears some chewing. She returns back to warn them that Manis was right and that there are undead in the crypt. Manis looks around the corner with his dark vision and sees a ghoul eating a dead person. The party choose to shoot simultaneously at Manis’s cry of “Manis here, he don’t hold with eating people”.

Battle Stats
Rounds of combat: 2
Damage done: Manis 6, Elmo >5, Sylvana 5, Pony 3, Sleet 1,
Number of Kills: Elmo 3, Sleet 1
Damage Taken: Sylvana 2

Sylvana again finds herself in trouble as she is paralyzed by a ghoul. Manis proclaims that “Genetic Diversity is Bad’ as if Sylvana was a full elf she could have resisted paralysis. Members of the party try to figure out what to do with Sylvana. Manis puts bandages on Sylvana (right place this time!) but they have no effect. Elmo takes off Manis’s bandages and puts some ‘special liquid’ in Slyvana’s mouth and wounds saying that the she will come right in a few minutes. Manis proclaims that “If Manis had a choice between dying and special liquid he would choose dying” as he puts the bandages back on Sylvanas back. Sylvana wakes and suspicious once more Sleet asks Elmo what is in his liquid. Elmo says that he was just joking and that the paralysis would have worn off anyway.

Sleet returns to searching the room and finds a dead merchant that resembles one the party had let go earlier. She finds a secret door that Manis opens and the party find that it leads to the way out. Although Sleet is “le tired’ the party, once Manis has brushed his tusks and polished his armour, decide to find the big boss. They head southwards and Manis quietly opens a door. Behind it a guard asks, “Who’s there?” Manis replies “Manis here” Manis tries to tell the guard that the party is here to see the big boss as they are mercenaries and want to work for him for money. Though Spanky adds that they “just want to talk, get coffee and discuss your feelings”. A sergeant and two other guards walk down the corridor. The sergeant demands to know what Manis wants. Manis suddenly tells him that he wants them to fall asleep, the sergeant and his two guards oblige and the battle begins.

This battle is huge I will finish details of it later….. I will also put the final kill stats of the day up.
Nick_Adams

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing was, it was Manis, a Half-Orc who pushed open the door. Anyone else and they would have attacked on sight ;)
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Who's the bad influence now, eh?
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If there has been a change from what you usually say then I spose it will have to be Nick!

At least you are just accusing me of being a bad influence. I can accept that whereas I don't accept past accusations of corrupting and mindcontrolling.

Anyway Nick is playing the NPC who keeps spraying his special liquid on my character. Nick is totally the dodgy one.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
Quote:

If there has been a change from what you usually say then I spose it will have to be Nick!

Nope, I switched it from you to Nick a while before I left Christchurch.

Twisted Evil
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> SAGA All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: