NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[AP] Jennifer Government

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wombleton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: [AP] Jennifer Government Reply with quote

I'm atrocious with names at the best of times, so the names of the people I actually played with last night are going to have to go unrecorded.

I played a diceless one-shot last night based on the book Jennifer Government. The pitch is that you are minions of a corporation given a difficult task to perform.

I'm going to leave details deliberately scant to preserve the scenario.

The game opens with bidding on a blind list of eleven Traits, using a fixed budget. This was a highlight. We managed to go through several iterations of bidding strategies in this. A couple of the players managed to position themselves well with nicely complementary Traits.

Then we were given the task, and asked to formulate a plan for it. This is where we floundered somewhat. We got better as time went on, but there was a noticeable drop off in terms of "what happens now" in the game. The GM stopped us from completely falling on our faces however and I think by the end of the segment we were going well. The irony of that however was that we were best able to put out a plan at that point, but had already managed to put together something.

We then moved into what I pegged as the "Betrayal Phase". Personally I rated my character as having a relatively weak set of Traits so I didn't go very hard here. This phase was over quickly for us.

Then we moved to execution/resolution, which was likewise quick.

I think the game would have benefited from having the competitive possibilities brought more to the fore. If we were given an explicit reason to stab each other's faces that would have helped, I think. Randomly assigning You Trust/You Hate could also have been useful to explicitly factionalise people.

My preference would be to come up with some resource to dip into or hoard for each of the planning/betrayal/resolution phases, but I can see how that would get away from the lightness of the system.

In terms of the existing mechanics I think a situation generator similar to the Four Oracles that In A Wicked Age uses could provide replayability. You would likely also make a larger list of Traits and pull the top eleven out of them if you were doing that.

All in all, an enjoyable one shot.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of fun Smile

Incidentally if you really like Jennifer Government, the author has put a free-to-play game on the web at www.nationstates.net. It doesn't really follow the book much, but occasionally there are references Smile

Cheers
Grant
Adrexia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
Sounds like a lot of fun Smile

Incidentally if you really like Jennifer Government, the author has put a free-to-play game on the web at www.nationstates.net. It doesn't really follow the book much, but occasionally there are references Smile

Cheers
Grant

Yes, I'd say that was probably one of the best marketing campaigns I've seen for a book. It used the power of the internet meme. At one stage it seemed like everyone was playing it.

Though saying that, I still haven't read the book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wombleton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even seem to recall setting myself up a state but hell if I can find it now.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The states disappear after a while if they aren't used.

Adrexia: I have it in storage, if you're keen to read it I'll try and dig it out next time I'm near it.

Cheers
Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> AMERICA All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: