NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interface Zero: True20 Cyberpunk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Interface Zero: True20 Cyberpunk Reply with quote

I've been spending a lot of time reading up on fairly new setting for True20. While True20 and Cyberpunk are not new, Interface-Zero provides an updated look at the genre--taking influences from the original masterwork, Neuromancer, all the way to The Matrix and inclusive of Anime like Ghost in the Shell. It packs a lot of cool in to 168 pages.

True20 is hallmarked for being simple and fast. I-Z funks it up a bit. But it does so in interesting ways. No cyberpunk game could exist without biological and cyber upgrades and I-Z delivers a mechanic for this not too far off from Shadowrun Essence, but I-Z allows for more ways to eliminate the essence cost. The crowning jewel though is the ability for the whole party to contribute in "the Deep" (cyberspace). They fundamentally assume that taps to the global network are nearly ubiquitious. Every character has constant connection to the world of information--but of course the Hacker is still the master of the domain. The basic notion is that the Deep emulates, enhances, and completely overlaps real space. Thus data security programs appear as visible guards to the real front doors of corporate building to anyone tapped in to the Deep (the whole party). While the Hacker will be the most effective against virtual threats, the whole group can fight and assist.

Character types run the range from pure human to genetically improved human, to animalistic hybrid, to cyborg, to simulacrum, to full AI. There's a lotta game here. I'm not sure when I'll get to try it out, but obviously y'all are my test group.

You can buy it on http://www.rpgnow.com or http://www.rpgobjects.com (the publisher) as a PDF. It doesn't exist in print yet... but they plan to.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Interface Zero: True20 Cyberpunk Reply with quote

Masada wrote:
I've been spending a lot of time reading up on fairly new setting for True20. While True20 and Cyberpunk are not new, Interface-Zero provides an updated look at the genre--taking influences from the original masterwork, Neuromancer, all the way to The Matrix and inclusive of Anime like Ghost in the Shell. It packs a lot of cool in to 168 pages.

Sounds interesting. If you're thinking of running anything I'd be keen to have a go.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW if you are interested in checking out any of the True 20 products, I can lend them to you. I have all the main line and some additional 3rd party products. It is my Con rule set of choice.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
BTW if you are interested in checking out any of the True 20 products, I can lend them to you. I have all the main line and some additional 3rd party products. It is my Con rule set of choice.

I'd love to take you up on that offer...

Blog - Mostly Geek
Masada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hardback copy of the core rules and a softback copy of the Beastiary. I have PDF copies of Interface Zero and the Expert's Handbook. I am slowly printing off I-Z at work...

I could bring them to the next WARG if folks want to take a peak.

What elements of a cyberpunk game seem most fun to you?
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing about Cyberpunk is that it often misses the point of a dystopian future of dehumanization, and instead becomes a pseudo-fantastical world of quests and adventures merely interlaced with dark elements and magical items finished in chrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Masada scribbles notes* ...look up "dystopia"...

hehe!

I see what you mean. The notion of dystopia is mostly flavour. It would be something that would have to really drip off every encounter. I had not connected a dehumanized society as a part of cyberpunk, but now that I think about it I agree. Human life becomes cheap and easily replaced. As a GM I find hard to "live" in a really dark world--I find it physically draining. But I think you can capture the feel of it without getting that down and dark about it. I can see how folks would want to make it more D&D cheery. Playing in a world where a Corporation is only interested in you while you make more money than you cost and then dumps you is... a bit too close to home!
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
I'd love to take you up on that offer...

I have the following products (only the ones with * are printed versions). Let me know what you are interested in and I will bring them along to Fright Night.

Green Ronin
Rulebook*, the Companion*, the Bestiary*, Worlds of Adventure, the Warrior's Handbook*, the Adept's Handbook*, the Expert's Handbook*, Fantasy Paths*, Cybernetics, Damnation Decade, Freeport Companion, all the Bleeding Edge modules with True 20 conversions*, and all the Blue Rose books*.

Third Party
Caliphate Nights, Mecha vs Kaiju, Magic Item Creation (for Nevermore), Legends of Excalibur, Blood Throne

Free Fanmade
True Force, Narnia, Conan
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masada wrote:
What elements of a cyberpunk game seem most fun to you?

I am currently playing a "hacker" in a CthulhuTech PbP campaign suffering from disassociative disorder, with heavy Cyberpunk inspirations.

Though not a Cyberpunk purist by a long shot, I have enjoyed extrapolating the recent trends of technology into the future to come up with various ways it impacts on one's personality and the way you interact with others. It has been fun to play out.

Plus me likes the cool tech toys (waiting for Mash to respond in 3, 2, ...) Wink
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third Party
Caliphate Nights

This any good? I've periodically thought of acquiring it, to round out my Arabian stuff...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
This any good? I've periodically thought of acquiring it, to round out my Arabian stuff...

I liked it. It was pretty accurate to the source material, well researched, physically attractive, with clean mechanics and a nice touch with a shared narrative mechanic for stories told IC to provide flashbacks (like in Arabian Nights).

Its flaw was that it was $50 setting for an RPG that cost $30. As such, many people didn't fork the cash out for it.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Green Ronin
Rulebook*, the Companion*

These two would be wicked!

Thanks

Blog - Mostly Geek
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
These two would be wicked!

FWIW I thought the Companion was the poorest True 20 book to date.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

FWIW I thought the Companion was the poorest True 20 book to date.

Ok, in that case just the core book if that's cool. Cheers!

Blog - Mostly Geek
Masada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
Sounds interesting. If you're thinking of running anything I'd be keen to have a go.
I'm kicking around ideas for one-shots. I have a natural fear of commitment though... If I get enough time and inspiration, I'll try to have some thing for a WARGS meeting. If the family plans on being home for Kapcon, then I may sign up for a session there. But it will probably be mid November before I can do anything with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Random Play All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: