NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOD - Gauging interest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: WOD - Gauging interest Reply with quote

I am looking at starting a new WOD game in the next month or so and I am looking to see who would be interested in playing in a fortnightly game. The game would be set on Friday/Saturday nights and would run for 4-5 hours a session.

The Chronicle would be set in the Greater Europe/UK and would involved 4-5 players. I am willing to make the game based either around Vampire or Mortal characters, my preference being for mortals and the theme is somewhere between Torchwood, Supernatural with the political intrigue level of B5.

For players I am looking for new players who I have not gamed with before who can and will make the commitment to not only turn up and immerse themselves into a deep story of Dark horror and Politics and a bit of bloodshed however I am more than willing to entertain interest from players I have gamed with before.

If you are interested then post here and we can discuss what sort of WOD Chronicle people would like to play in.

Regards
Glock-9mm

Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Monte Cook's World of Darkness? If you want a mortal game it might work a bit better. It adds quite a bit of verve to the basic WOD world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Have you considered Monte Cook's World of Darkness? If you want a mortal game it might work a bit better. It adds quite a bit of verve to the basic WOD world.

nWoD works fantastically for mortals.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I am a fan of MCWoD over nWoD, I think the inspirations Glock lists suit nWoD better. MCWoD is better for a mixed supernatural game or a "Buffy" mortals game IMO
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he's not talking about a mixed game, he's talking about mortals or vampires with a personal preference for mortals. I don't know a great deal about those influences, but I would never suspect something described as having "the political intrigue level of B5" as being anything like a "Buffy" mortals game.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to dislike the basic one-roll approach of nWOD. There were just too many times in the game where either skill levels was swamped by additional factors, or maximum results were constrained in a counter-intuitive way. The most clear and basic example is with hand-guns.

Say you have Joe-average with a shotgun. His chances of hitting and injuring are reasonably good; probably better than Karl-epic's chances of hitting and injuring with a small calibre hand gun. The swing of 4 points of firearms skill is totally swamped by the difference in the gun modifiers.

Most systems, and what seems intuitive, is that Joe will miss 90% of the time, but when he hits it will be bad. That's not really very probable in nWOD.

I also find their various personality-mechanic tack-on bits to be vague and a bit annoying.

McWOD's basic resolution system is quicker and cleaner, and it dispenses with much of the frippery of morality-scales and so on.

Admittedly, I haven't seen Torchwood or Supernatural; but if you have a group of mortal characters in McWOD I don't see the system as constraining you to larger than life epic action.

McWOD also has the advantage, IMHO, of a better unified approach to the other critters. This is probably less of an issue with a Vamp/Mortal game, but I never really got to grips with how effective Magic was in nWOD on Vampires... the rules just don't want to deal with the issue specifically, and you're left interpreting everything into one note that Blood Potence is used to resist magical interference. It doesn't even clarify whether Vampires fall into the Life or Death spheres! McWOD is much clearer on these issues.

Ultimately, for a game of intrigue, the system might prove somewhat irrelevant anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

I have considered it yes, but that means re-investment and I like WoD as a system, It really doesn't bother me like it does others. Smile

Quote:
Luke
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 am Post subject:
As much as I am a fan of MCWoD over nWoD, I think the inspirations Glock lists suit nWoD better. MCWoD is better for a mixed supernatural game or a "Buffy" mortals game IMO

I agree here, I like both MCWoD and NWoD, but for what I am gunning for the NWoD setting is better, well... suits my mood better anyway. lol

Glock-9mm
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
But he's not talking about a mixed game, he's talking about mortals or vampires with a personal preference for mortals. I don't know a great deal about those influences, but I would never suspect something described as having "the political intrigue level of B5" as being anything like a "Buffy" mortals game.

I agree. Read my post again. Smile
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Admittedly, I haven't seen Torchwood or Supernatural; but if you have a group of mortal characters in McWOD I don't see the system as constraining you to larger than life epic action.

Awakened are incredibly tough and powerful mortals. They are incredibly robust and a large chunk of the rules for them through feats focus the PCs on kicking ass in combat. If you went with normal mortals under the rules and tried to avoid larger than life epic action then the game would constantly be trying to tempt and dazzle you toward that style of play.

It would much like trying to play gritty and low magic fantasy with D&D 3.5.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Anarchangel wrote:

I agree. Read my post again. Smile

Quite right! Actually, what confused me is that I thought Mash's first reply was from you and thus that your first reply was your second! Clearly, Luke, there's only room for one resident-NZRaG MCWoD flag-waver in my mind, and you already occupy that slot.
My LJ
Velcanthus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Have you read the man's post? Reply with quote

The man is looking for PLAYER INTEREST.

He doesn't want a critique of the available games on offer in the genre in question.

Read the initial post.

Immortals: Freeform reasonably diceless rpg where characters progress to mythic level.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah yeah, calm yourself. "Gauging interest" involves a wee bit of discussion about exactly what's up for being interested in. Zak knows Luke and me well enough that I'm sure he'll tolerate a wee bit of divergence fr us.

Actually, I am interested Zak, but it'll depend a bit on the rest of the group. And unfortunately I'm away overseas for most of April, so will probably miss your campaign start if I do play.
Velcanthus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

Actually, I am interested Zak, but it'll depend a bit on the rest of the group. And unfortunately I'm away overseas for most of April, so will probably miss your campaign start if I do play.

So, you're interested but not functionally capable of playing?

That will help fill up the seats of players.

Immortals: Freeform reasonably diceless rpg where characters progress to mythic level.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divergence is fine and an accepted practice on NZRag, I have known Mash and Luke for 10-15 years on and off so I am used to them grabbing pickets and walking around with bull horns. lol.

When do you get back Mash?

G-9mm
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get back on the 20th of April; so depending on when you get started, we're talking two or perhaps three games I couldn't make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Available Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: