NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Wgtn] Wednesday Afternoon SciFi Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: [Wgtn] Wednesday Afternoon SciFi Game Reply with quote

On Wednesday afternoons (12.30 - 4.30), starting this Wednesday (July 23) in Hataitai (probably), I will begin a short run (4 weeks) Sci-Fi game (name and system yet to be determined). We can take a couple more players if anyone out there in Wellington wants to play.

Here's the initial setting info that I've compiled from the first round of emails:

The Set-up:
The game will involve exploration (thus mystery and investigation), talking & intriguing, plus shooting/knifing people.

You are criminals, mercenaries, oddjobmen, refugees, dissidents and explorers. By choice or necessity, you exist on the fringes of a declining galactic society where central control has devolved to local powers of various sizes. You do odd jobs of varying legality, try to keep your morals, and uncover secrets about the true nature of the universe its history, and your place in it.

Setting:
There has been a galactic empire based around Earth which is now in a state of decadence and decline. Various sectors have broken away, sometimes peacefully, sometimes not.

Depending on one’s political leanings the galactic empire was and is cold and uncaring or actively malevolent. Same goes for the various independent sectors.

Space travel is by fractional-c vessels, wormholes and jump engines which create temporary wormholes. Most wormholes are mapped and controlled by various local forces, some are not (perhaps naturally occurring, perhaps remnants of an alien civilisation.

There are some sort of psychic/supernatural/magic powers which may or may not have a technological basis.

Game Notes:
You will have a ship, with a jump engine if you like, but if you would prefer a game based on one system, it wouldn’t be required.

You will interact with various factions, including aliens.

Gas giants, waterworlds, asteroids and the like will probably turn up at some point.

Tech-wise: implants: biological & cybernetic, genetic modifications; for personal use, I tend to prefer projectile weapons over beam weapons, but I’m happy with either if someone has a strong preference; you would be assisted by various expert systems or AI depending on how far you wanted to go in that direction; pretty advanced space suit technology with built in computers/expert systems/AI and a fair degree of adaptability and sensor/communications capability; virtual and augmented reality and a VR net, probably somewhat compartmentalised by system.

If you're interested drop me a line.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
sophmelc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great and if I didn't have a job that wouldn't look kindly at me taking off every Wed afternoon I'd be in!

Good luck and I hope you do write up at some point.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I write up pretty much every game on my LJ; I doubt this one will be any different Laughing
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system will be The Shadow of Yesterday
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
The system will be The Shadow of Yesterday

I am surprised you didn't go with:

Anarchangel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered it, but because the only FATE I've played is SotC, it seemed too gonzo for what I'm going for.* I skimmed the preview doc and it would have required a fair bit of squinting to get past the pulpy setting.

I was initially trying to find a system with real dice too, but as you can see, I slipped on that one!

It would have been a great chance to take Sufficiently Advanced for a spin around the block, but it's languishing on my desk in LA, its packaging not yet even knowing the touch of my hand... *cough* It arrived for me a day or two after I arrived here.

*I realise that this is an artefact of the play-style I've experienced the game in and that it isn't inherent to the system, but that's what I have to work with at the moment.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A genetic hybrid dedicated to discovering the fate of her kidnapped psychic brother... and making her fortune.

A hiveworlder who escaped the crush of humanity on his home planet and now seeks renown as a champion of the downtrodden.

A hijacked and re-programmed Government-grade AI in a re-purposed dignitary runabout.

The quasi-religious order of psychics whose web spreads throughout the decadent and decaying empire.

A fragmenting galaxy where those who control the wormholes, control information.

Dark Matter
My LJ
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually using Alternity?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Are you actually using Alternity?

Nope. We're using Shadow of Yesterday and a homebrew setting spawned from player input and lots of Banksian influence.

[Edit: I didn't realise there was a Alternity supplement by that name.]
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:

Good luck and I hope you do write up at some point.

Write ups will be here
My LJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Available Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: