NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Derby of the Damned - rules for my game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Derby of the Damned - rules for my game Reply with quote

Hi all,

While writing my game for KapCon 18 I decided to have a wee play with designing a mini-system. It's pretty basic and takes a lot of influence from such indy favs as My Life with Master, Best Friends and Hot War. I thought I'd put up my initial rules ideas here to see if people can help me address missing bits early on.

The basic premise for the game is that all PCs are a member of a roller derby team that has reached the finals.

So with out further adieu here it is!

> Each character has 3 stats; Brawn, Brains and Beauty. They have 9 points to spend between them so the average is 3.

So Mimi is one bad ass roller derby chick. She has Brawn of 4, Brains of 2 and Looks of 3.

> Basically every thing is an opposed roll, a number of d6s are rolled depending on the stat the action is related to and the higher number wins. It is up to the GM and the players to decide if a stat is being used correctly.

Mimi has Looks of 3 and she's trying to flirt with a security guard to let her get into the arena to do some extra roller practise. She rolls 3d6 vs their Brains (in this case 2d6).

> Each character also comes up with 1 special abiltiy which is linked into one of their stats and gives them a bonus d8.

Mimi has the special ability of Real Flirt which gives her a bonus when ever she tries to flirt. So in the above example she would get 3d6 + 1d8 vs their 2d6.

> Characters also get to come up with a Special Piece of Equipment (SPoE) which can be used when it makes sense. The use of the SPoE successfully allows the player narative control over the outcome of the conflict.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions gratefully received.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Derby of the Damned - rules for my game Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
> Each character also comes up with 1 special abiltiy which is linked into one of their stats and gives them a bonus d8.

Why a bonus d8 and not a bonus d6? If you are using d6s for everything else then thowing in a d8 seems random unless it were to replace a d6.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Derby of the Damned - rules for my game Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
sophmelc wrote:

Why a bonus d8 and not a bonus d6? If you are using d6s for everything else then thowing in a d8 seems random unless it were to replace a d6.

It was originally a d6 but I kind of wanted that special ability to have a little more oomf. I kind of see it as being something that might only get used once or twice in the game and so wanted it to be a bit of a situation changer.

I'm not 100% sold on it though, as time goes on it might go back to a d6.

Thanks!
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a d8 rather than a d6 would also draw attention to the use of the ability.

Quote:
...1 special ability which is linked into one of their stats...

What is the advantage of having the special abilities linked to a stat rather than as a floating ability able to be used with any stat depending on the circumstance?

The SPoE needs a catchier name: "Gear", "Kit", "Edge". Something in the Roller Derby theme would be cool. Same for "special ability".

It would be nice if the stats or rules brought more of the feel of a Roller Derby to the table, such as if every challenge (on and off the track) resembled a roller derby. Maybe multiple rounds of rolling with the first establishing a lead jammer who then controls when the jam ends within an X roll limit? You could also do some sort of points thing where you count dice individually and get points for each dice your highest dice (or a nominated "jammer dice") "pass".
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
MikeSands

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the special equipment, I'd suggest that if it gives narrative control, you should:
1. Use a more formal means to determine if it is applicable, instead of 'when appropriate'. This might vary by gear - maybe spiked wheels specify that they apply when you are fouling an opponent, for example.
2. Specify how much narrative control the player gets. Do they get to narrate how the conflict goes? How the scene concludes?
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm hoping for another burst of enthusiasm soon. I'll have a play around with incorporating your comments soon.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a month or so of having this just float around in my head waiting for things to click I've had a burst of inspiration. Things have changed a bit, in no small part due to reading 3: 16.

Have a read and let me know what you think:

> Each character has 4 stats; Brawn, Moves, Brains and Beauty. They have 12 points to spend between them so the average is 5. All stats start at 2 and can have a maximum of 9.

Quote:
Mimi is one bad ass roller derby chick. She has Brawn of 6, Moves of 5, Brains of 4 and Looks of 7.

The person with the highest brawn is the Jammer, the person with the highest brains is the Pivot and the others are Blockers. Each of these positions has a special role to play in the team.

The Jammer: The Jammer is the attacker, the heavy hitter and general all round tough gal. She gets an extra point of Toughness to help get through the other team’s back line.

The Pivot: The Pivot is the brains of the team and its last line of defence. She gets to re-roll any Brains related roll once per session.

The Blockers: The Blockers are all rounders. Keeping the other team from scoring points and assisting the Jammer when she needs it. They get to re-roll any single roll once per session.

> The stat level is the target number for that attribute. Roll a d10 and get that number or below in order to succeed.

Quote:
Mimi has Looks of 7 and she's trying to flirt with a security guard to let her get into the arena to do some extra roller practise. She rolls her trusty d10 and gets a 5, easily convincing the security guard to let her in.

Jessica is reading up on the best tactics for Roller Derby defence. She rolls her d10 against her Brains (in this case 7). She gets an 8 so doesn’t learn anything new to help her in the teams next match.

> Sometimes an action is being opposed by another party, because you are trying to do them harm or take something from them. In these cases the two (or more) parties each roll their d10 and will be aiming for the highest result on or under their target number.

Quote:
Dolly and Jazz are wrestling for control of the ball. They both roll against their Brawn stat. Dolly has a Brawn of 6 and Jazz has a Brawn of 7. The roll happens and both girls roll 7s! That means that Jazz wins and gets hold of the ball.

> If someone is trying to hit you then their target number is your Moves stat.

Quote:
Dolly is really pissed that Jazz got to ball and tries to tackle her to the ground. Jazz has Moves 5. Dolly rolls her d10 and gets a 3! That means she jumps on Jazz, slamming her to the ground.

> Your Brawn + Moves = your Toughness. The total of this number represents the number of hits you can take before being Out for the Count.

Quote:
Jazz is pretty tough. With her Brawn of 7 and Moves of 5 she can take 12 hits before she’s Out for the Count. This means she’s got 11 more hits she can take before things get nasty.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm thinking of bringing this along to the next WARGs for a run through.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Blockers were the biggest girls on the course and that Jammers were more, I don't know, quick, maneuverable and able to weave rather that power their way through?
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
sophmelc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
I thought Blockers were the biggest girls on the course and that Jammers were more, I don't know, quick, maneuverable and able to weave rather that power their way through?

Hmmm. I think you might be right! I've just read through the official rules and it looks like the Jammer needs to be pretty manoeuvrable. I'll change it so the Jammer has the highest Moves score and the Blockers have higher Brawn scores.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Malcolm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quick question:

How would you handle orthogonal goals in an opposed conflict situation? For example:

PC 1 wants to charm her way past the guard

NPC Guard (played by the GM) is happy to be charmed, the goal for the GM here is to have the guard set off the alarms successfully after PC 1 has got past.

The goals aren't in opposition, as they can both fail or both succeed (or any combination of the two). So, PC 1 could charm her way past the guard and then the guard could set off the alarms. Would the mechanics work along the lines of if you suceed, you suceed and if you fail, you fail and the results are incorporated into the fiction?

I don't think this kind of thing will come up that often in the kind of game you're describing, but the thought just popped into my head. It's likely a useless thought, but if I left it there, things would just get crowded.

Cheers
Malc
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm wrote:

How would you handle orthogonal goals in an opposed conflict situation? For example:

PC 1 wants to charm her way past the guard

NPC Guard (played by the GM) is happy to be charmed, the goal for the GM here is to have the guard set off the alarms successfully after PC 1 has got past.

The goals aren't in opposition, as they can both fail or both succeed (or any combination of the two). So, PC 1 could charm her way past the guard and then the guard could set off the alarms. Would the mechanics work along the lines of if you suceed, you suceed and if you fail, you fail and the results are incorporated into the fiction?

Well I was going to go with the idea that the person who wins the conflict narrates. So in the example you give above I kind of only see one conflict. If the guard is happy to be charmed then there is no conflict, the conflict is whether he sets of the alarm.

Who ever wins the conflict wins narration rights, so if the GM wins they narrate the setting off of the alarms. If the player wins they narrate what ever they feel like.

Does that answer your question? Also please keep asking, it keeps me thinking! And we wouldn't want your head too cluttered.

Blog - Mostly Geek
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty close to play testing time for this puppy, I'm just stuck on one thing. Basically I want some sort of strength and weakness mechanic that can be brought in to drastically change the fiction, but I have no idea what to call it so that it stays in theme... any ideas?

Blog - Mostly Geek
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some slang at the bottom of this page. Nothing's leaping out at me, but with the mechanics in mind, you might spot something.

(Here's the local LA crowd: For the negative, you might you "burns" or "scars". Still nothing on the positive.)
My LJ
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
There's some slang at the bottom of this page. Nothing's leaping out at me, but with the mechanics in mind, you might spot something.

(Here's the local LA crowd: For the negative, you might you "burns" or "scars". Still nothing on the positive.)

Hmmm... scars... that might work.

Thanks for the links!

Blog - Mostly Geek
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

That list is awesome! Talk about summing up the feel. Need to find a way to incorporate it.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Game Designer's Cabal All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: