NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two months to go
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sophmelc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Two months to go Reply with quote

So as the clock continues to tick down and the silly season rapidly approaches I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in a play testing event of some sort.

Basically arranging a venue (either a kind soul offering their house or a more public place or a mixture of the two) and ensuring that a minimum number of people will show up.

Thoughts? Comments? Enthusiasm?

Blog - Mostly Geek
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think next year we'll have to make you up an a Kapcon "advent" calendar. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sophmelc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I think next year we'll have to make you up an a Kapcon "advent" calendar. Smile

That's not a bad idea... Very Happy

This is purely in order to help me get my head around the 3 games I'm getting ready for KapCon. I'll admit it, I'm totally self-serving!!

Blog - Mostly Geek
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Two months to go Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
So as the clock continues to tick down and the silly season rapidly approaches I was wondering if anyone out there would be interested in a play testing event of some sort.

Basically arranging a venue (either a kind soul offering their house or a more public place or a mixture of the two) and ensuring that a minimum number of people will show up.

Thoughts? Comments? Enthusiasm?

I'm keen, transport allowing.

I'm also keen to playtest Luke's latest offering.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of games and playtests:

We have 19 games, and have timetabled 36 out of 80 sessions (45%), but 12 of those come from GoD and the running-all-con Dingwall spectacular. So, we need more games, lots more games (including at least 6 more for first round). Even if you only want to GM for a single session, KapCon needs You!

Oh, and Luke's Aeon Angelus Necronomicon is the first game to fill.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

Woot!

Are we getting to GM smack talk time... or are all you other GMs busy changing your diapers? Wink
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Two months to go Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
I'm also keen to playtest Luke's latest offering.

To Kill a Lie is up for playtesting in January but I may already be full up with the hardcore CTech playtest crowd. I will let you know.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
So, we need more games, lots more games (including at least 6 more for first round). Even if you only want to GM for a single session, KapCon needs You!

It really isn't as scary/hard/whatever as you think it is! One game out of six... to give a little back??

Go on, you know you want to!

Blog - Mostly Geek
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Not sure I can back on you on that. While I'd like to see more people GMing, it is quite a large time investment compared to just turning up. And I think there is an expectation that any game will be at least passable.

I think GMing at KapCon gets easier the more you do it; but that it's far from easy. Especially the first few times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taxboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
While we're on the subject of games and playtests:

We have 19 games, and have timetabled 36 out of 80 sessions (45%), but 12 of those come from GoD and the running-all-con Dingwall spectacular. So, we need more games, lots more games (including at least 6 more for first round). Even if you only want to GM for a single session, KapCon needs You!

I'm still on to run a game - got a base premise and first cut (sort of) - so that's one session..
sophmelc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Hmmm... Not sure I can back on you on that. While I'd like to see more people GMing, it is quite a large time investment compared to just turning up. And I think there is an expectation that any game will be at least passable.

I think GMing at KapCon gets easier the more you do it; but that it's far from easy. Especially the first few times.

I think if you've GMed before then you can GM at a con. No it isn't easy as GMing anytime takes a certain willingness to speak in front of a group. But it doesn't need months of planning.

I'm also a firm believer that games rely as much on the player as they do on the GM to ensure they don't suck. If the players just turn up to be entertained and are unwilling to get into the groove of things then even the most prepared and experienced GM is going to struggle. IMO.

Also there are many games out there now where the scenario creation is collaborative and the GM just needs to do the printing. Take Geiger Counter for example. Free rules, and easy to set up. The hard bit is printing. Or Best Friends. Or 3: 16. Though these last to aren't free.

Blog - Mostly Geek
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

I think of it as running a game that doesn't suck. But that's not so hard, and the players will do most of the work anyway.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

I'm with Sophie, although with a somewhat different spin.

GMing at Kapcon is exactly as hard as GMing in any other context. It can be more intimidating, because you don't know who will be signing up for your game. On the other hand, everyone who signs up picked yours from the dozen or so other options, so you know they're keen on the game you have brought.

Also, the idea that GMing requires a large time investment is not true now (if it ever was). There are plenty of games and techniques that allow you to run a great session without huge amounts of front-loaded preparation.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taxboy wrote:
I'm still on to run a game - got a base premise and first cut (sort of) - so that's one session..

Excellent. Go ahead, hit the website, and fill out the game registration form for it so we can see your game in all its glory...
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophie and Mike: I'm aware of the concepts you're talking about. I can't be assed getting into it in detail, but suffice to say that my experience of convention games from both sides of the table is vastly different.

My experience is:
1. Players will get allocated to your game based on not getting into their first or second choices. I had two players at KapCon last year where my game wasn't even one of their choices at all.

2. My experience is that players turn up and expect to be spoon-fed fun. Almost every game, again both as player and GM, where there's been a significant element of the players having to bring some awesome to the table, they haven't. The exception is the GOD room - because it's more of an expectation that you make your own fun there. - in fact, every KapCon I've ever been to I've played at least one game with someone who seemed to actively be trying to break the scenario.

I think partly this is about controlling expectations. If you're setting the bar at "not bad enough that players will leave during the game" then GMing at KapCon should be a breeze - but if you want a game that people will go away from feeling awesome, then it's hard.

Your mileage has obviously been different - all I'm suggesting is that if you're pitching KapCon to new-ish GMs as a walk in the park, you are doing them a dis-service. It is not a walk in the park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 18 (2009) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: