NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convention Writeups (blogs etc)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattCowens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Convention Writeups (blogs etc) Reply with quote

If you write up your convention experience in the form of a blogpost and you don't mind people reading it, could you please post a link here? I only got to dip my toe in one round this year and Debbie missed the whole con, so we're keen to hear all about it!

My experience playing Best Friends: Fellowship of the Ring
Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure: http://stephaniepegg.blogspot.com/2009/01/back-from-kapcon.html
taxboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Shelter Me Reply with quote

I'm still thinking on my experience as a first time GM at Kapcon but the only game I played in was Marcus Bone's Shelter Me.

I don't think i fully understood what the game would entail, but it was a very well written game with thoughtful mechanics and player handouts.

It was a personal challenge to interact as young children in such a disturbing and at times horrific setting. The premise was good, the time flowed and Marcus gave enough room to allow all participants to have some creative energy.

Thankfully, it was a great bunch of players and once again Mash was scary in how much he took on the personae of his character - very cool and very intense.

I was emotionally drained at the end of the game but loved every minute of it.

Well done Marcus, you have my vote for the best game I have ever attended at Kapcon!
thad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My write ups, such as they are, are: Day One and Day Two
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shelter Me Reply with quote

taxboy wrote:

Thankfully, it was a great bunch of players and once again Mash was scary in how much he took on the personae of his character - very cool and very intense.

Lol. Thanks. Very Happy

I actually think that everyone at the table gave 100%; it was one of the most committed tables I've seen in many a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited highlights from my account:

The short version is that my KapCon 2009 was pretty low key and relaxed.

Round 1: Shelter Me

GM: Marcus Bone
Players: Karen Wilson, Barry Baker, Chris (the american), Norman, and someone else.

I really liked the vibe of the group: I think everyone took their character and played to the hilt. It was mostly a game about living out our dysfunctional lives in an isolated environment. There was some weird stuff prompting some action, but on the whole that felt like a very small part of the story.

Round 2: Succession

GM: Alasdair Sinclair
Players: Nick Cole, Glenn Bellam, Andrew McLeod

This game was largely prepared in the form of an extensive but only slightly fleshed cast of NPCs, a couple of bangs per character, and the characters themselves. The game system I used was A Dirty World, which is a nice and elegant system that handles both physical and social conflicts without too much mess or fuss. I gave out character sheets and a 7-question form intended to flesh the surrounding details and impart story impetus.

Despite some questions intended to prompt immediate and decisive action, the game got off to a slow start as the players took a very softly-softly approach to things and tried to go about solving the murder in a conventional way. I extemporized and with about half our time gone we started to get into the meat of the experience.

Once they started to actually take action rather than try to do fact-finding, the game went smoothly and well from my POV. The fractious nature of the characters eventually lead to a bloodbath from which only Andy's character emerged, and the three players seemed satisfied with the experience.

The main problem with the game was really that I failed to push the action hard enough early enough, and I didn't take quite enough time to properly integrate all the responses. In hindsight I also ditched the wrong PC when my game was short a player.

Round 3: Trail of Blood

GM: Alasdair Sinclair
Players: Richard Fields, Glenn Bellam, Fraser Peat, Hamish Meads, Bertie.

The play-test of this game was by a huge margin the best first-run I've ever had. It gave me a lot of confidence that the KapCon run would be good. It's a really simple game, and a simple genre to run: whatever the PCs are doing, think of some physically possible thing that can go wrong, and let them pull to avoid it. With a fantasy setting, the "physically possible" thing isn't so important.

But... for the first time, the dextrous skill involved in Jenga was a problem. When I pitch the game to people, they always say "but I'm no good at Jenga" - that's not a problem. People who are afraid of the tower are the lifeblood of the game. Fraser knocked the tower over after only 20 pulls (about half the pulls available in a normal tower), and on re-set it was taken down after about the same. Eventually this lead to a TPK as nobody seemed able to make the number of pulls required to get any narrative movement back.

Round 4: Geiger Counter

Mike Sands, Rohan, Scott Kelly, Ian Bayard and a couple of others.

The group really arrived at the table without any really clear ideas; we mediated towards a quite abstract idea that in the frontier of a utopian society aliens arrive causing a breakdown in the social order.

We muddled through to an ending, but it wasn't really all that satisfying.

Round 5: FRUP

GM: Ivan Towlson
Players: Morgue, Fraser Peat, Ian Bayard, Carla Lapsli, Patrick-from-Auckland

I had a bit of a reminisce down memory lane, and it quickly became apparent that Ian, Morgue and I were still pretty familiar with the details of 1st ed, but nobody else really was. I got a lot of enjoyment out of pointing out rule holes and omissions to Carla, who became ever increasingly shocked at how crap a game system 1st ed is. As an entertainment experience of sitting back watching morgue display his comic talents, it was just fine.

Round 6: Geiger Counter

Aaron Casky, Rohan, Ed Lynden-Bell

When the games were being demanded, I put my hand up for Geiger Counter because having now both read and played it, I thought this time I could do a better job.

First major difference: Ed sat down at the table and said "I want a monster movie". We dithered for about 15 minutes without getting anywhere much from this start. Aaron had reservations about the half-formed ideas being batted about but wasn't vocal about it, Rohan was rolling with the punches, and Ed seemed to be holding back having specified the basic scenario. So I called a reset: let's start again.

And then I aggressively framed discreet and distinct options at each stage. Aaron came alive, and fronted some very cool ideas about the monsters and the setup. Ed and Rohan joined in. We all suggested stuff within the discreet framework I was pushing, and very importantly we all shot down stuff we didn't like. People said "no" and that was the best thing they could have done, because it made the whole process open and honest.

Then we rocked through the adventure. It was pretty brutal, since the opposition's dice pool is static for any given run, but there were fewer of us than in the morning's run. Ed and Aaron pushed some intra-party stuff that split us up, the monster surged: we were consumed.

As a movie, it was pretty depressing: a bunch of territorials go into a quarantined city to rescue their families, and everyone gets killed by Hulk-style domestic pets. But as a game, it was pretty much what I wanted out of that system, and a very enjoyable gaming experience.

Summary

This year was just vastly better than last year. I think fewer scheduled GM outings was the main thing.

This is the first KapCon that I'm coming away from actually keen to roleplay and thinking about what to run next year rather than trying to think of a good reason to give Idiot why I can't.

My major, and really only, gripe was that every single round started late. Talking to Marcus about his game afterwards, he had to cut 2 or 3 important scenes because we started 25 minutes late. The other rounds weren't so bad, but every round started at least 10 minutes late. A million times better than BoD, but still irritating. I'm a perfectionist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1

http://jennitalula.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/kapcon-18/
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to come but here is Day 1.

Blog - Mostly Geek
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Day 2.

Blog - Mostly Geek
greywolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://grey-wolfnz.blogspot.com/search/label/Kapcon%202009
binder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've restarted my blog with observation from Kapcon (and a odd urge to record the various games I play this year). It can be found here - http://demonground.livejournal.com/

My Kapcon entries (so far) can be found under this tag - http://demonground.livejournal.com/tag/kapcon

Ciao,

Marcus (Binder)
Liam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments:

Shadowrun -- Open Road - Grant Robinson
So much fun. I'm a regular player with Grant at WARGS so I knew what to expect. He runs a good game and there was a lot of fun to be had. A pre-written game that had a run of the mill Shadowrun feel to it except in Australia. I think we could have played on the characters a bit more than we did and to get the interaction going I would like to have had a bit more feel for the other characters. I played a surfie Maori Troll Adept - very interesting.

Eagle One Down - Me
I was a bit slack and didn't run a play test. In fact I didn't finish writing the game until the day before so I really didn't know how it would go. Had great fun running it and thought the characters were played well. My Jungle Sound effects were a bit poor and the players didn't get anywhere near the "horror" so I didn't get to use my cool high quality sci fi sound effects. Will invest in some better background sound effects for more generic scenes, jungle street etc. The game played as well as I hoped and I will modify it based on the experience and feedback. Any bit of feedback would be appreciated if anyone has any.

The Head in the Sky - Conan
Had great fun. Some very good character role players doing weird stuck up English accents. Very Cthulhuesk so I am biased on this one. Ended up right in the thick of it despite my characters reservations. Very funny watching Ghouls being dispatched by a cricket bat. Conan ran a good game and would play in one of his games again. Wasn't that taken with the Trail of Cthulhu system and wont be adding it to my collection. I played the Gumshoe system again in Marcus' game the next day and the point system doesn't seem to make that much sense to me and the problems it purports to address re clue discovery aren't really an issue in my opinion for any investigator game run well.

LARP - Charlie Dread
All I can say is I am getting used to LARPing. My third LARP. I played in last years Kapcon LARP and left it with so many regrets as to what I should or could have done. My first LARP was "For the Honour of the Family" (I think I got that right) in Confusion earlier that year and decided that it wasn't too bad so gave it a go at Kapcon so back for my second Kapcon LARP and third LARP of any kind this year. Played Charlie Dread. I found it hard to discover who I needed to talk to and didn't really have enough on people to get favours or work out a few deals. I think I played the character well. He started the game on a bad day and it got worse. Highlight - Trying to run "Two Guns" over and failing very badly and managing to deflect the blame elsewhere enough not to get a hit put out on me. Wish I could have seen my face when my "hit" failed. I feel I could have passed a few more rumers around. Tried to be a bit more conspiritous and knock off a few higher ups or jump ship but no-one was interested in my plans - not sure why haha.

Eagle One Down take II - Me
I felt I ran it a bit better than last time. Also the crew were a bit less about cowering in the village and more about descending into the tunnels of madness so I got to use more of my material. Everyone seemed to have fun and got positive comments at the end. Always suspicious that players wont tell you like it is.

Harvest Moon - Marcus Bone
Another Gumshoe rules based game (see previous comments). All but one of us gender bent for this one which I thought was refreshing (two ladies three guys playing two ladies and three guys). Marcus always runs a good game and I thought it played out well (I played Truck Stop at last years Kapcon). The werewolf theme was very obvious from early on but I amused myself by making sure this didn't affect my character's actions as did the other players. Consequently we managed to get completely isolated in the wild without any silver bullets etc with a werewolf on the loose. It could have been worse, I was reminded of a comment made by Adam Scott Glancy (Delta Green) in a podcast last year on www.yog-sothoth.com where he armed vampires with guns during a traveler game much to his players disgust. Vampires don't use guns! Werewolves with guns, they didn't here but there is potential.....

Pigs In Spaceeeeeeeee - Muppet Brown
I'm not a indie type player and can be uncomfortable with in-character play some times but thought "what the hell". I played spiderham a pig that could walk up walls and squit webs from his backside. All I can say is I have not laughed that hard in a long while and thought all the players and the GM were awesome. Very inspired by Norman's portrayal of a Godfather pig character - he did it so well. Thumbs up for this one and a perfect last round game!

Thanks to all those people who made Kapcon awesome! Special thanks to Paul and co for running it well and to the LARP team for a lot of hard work!
Jenni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 2: http://jennitalula.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/kapcon-18-day-2/

Larp: http://jennitalula.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/mafia-2071-larp/
binder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shelter Me Reply with quote

taxboy wrote:
I'm still thinking on my experience as a first time GM at Kapcon but the only game I played in was Marcus Bone's Shelter Me.

I don't think i fully understood what the game would entail, but it was a very well written game with thoughtful mechanics and player handouts.

It was a personal challenge to interact as young children in such a disturbing and at times horrific setting. The premise was good, the time flowed and Marcus gave enough room to allow all participants to have some creative energy.

I was emotionally drained at the end of the game but loved every minute of it.

Well done Marcus, you have my vote for the best game I have ever attended at Kapcon!

Damn, I don't know how, but I missed these comments Barry!

Thanks for the great write up and glad you enjoyed it. I was a bit worried that the subject matter was a little too dark for a gaming table, but you all took in stride (as did the second group, who I had a little more time to screw within - but still ran over - 2 and a half hour plots next time I think Razz)

Cheers and thanks again - I'll definitely be rerunning this at a future con (although maybe not 2010 as I only have the fortitude for one Children of the Blitz story a year - as I noted in my blog I almost threw up after this session it was that intense Razz).

Marcus
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say Marcus the last 2 years I have really enjoyed ending my Kapcon with your games, they aren't really funny happy games (although there are funny moments) but they are so intense and you come out feeling like you have had a hard work out or a physical game.

Sorry I was a bit whacked this year so don't think I played up to scratch but I thought it was a really good group and I don't know if it was random or picked out but seemed like you had the perfect player for each of the other kids. (Juliet with the fairies, Ivan the loner/protector, James the one everyone likes, Fraser the seeker of knowledge and Claire with her lists).

Was also fun playing with a group of good players most of whom I hadn't really played with before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 18 (2009) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: