NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diamond Lake: Letter to beloved mentor II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #73 Will for art thou? Reply with quote

17th Day of Wealsun
Spire of Long Shadows
Kuluth-Mar
Armedio jungle, far to the south

Dearest Allustan

We pressed on, descending another level after an interminable wait on Will's shadow, sent to recon the lower levels. It came back with stories of worms, a sea of worms, rooms of skeletons and corpses. Nothing waiting to ambush us, then.

Using Fly and Feather Fall we found ourselves at the bottom of the pit. It looked like some explosion had created a large chamber here, but it was full of Kyuss worms. The surface would ripple as something massive heaved itself through the wormy depths. I bet good Greyhawk gold there is another Apostle of Kyuss in there.

Upon landing we immediately attracted the attention of half a dozen Kyuss worm swarms. Tobias destroyed three swarms by calling upon the blessing of Pelor. I waited until the swarms were closer before blasting the remaining three with a Maximised Empowered Fireball. Disappointingly, the swarms survived my might. I thought swarms would be particularly vulnerable to an area fire attack. The worms swarmed Tobias, biting and chewing on the scion of Goodness. He seemed affected by their attacks and feebly tried to turn them but failed to spark. Corvan and Will cleared away some of the Kyuss worms, but I immolated the rest with a Quickened True Strike Scorching Ray.

As it was very dark with only the glowing green florescence of the Sea of Worms giving illumination, Corvan got out his hooded lantern and soon the chamber was bathed in its cheery light. Tobias cast Light on one of Will's arrows, which Will prompted fired into the double doors at the end of the corridor.

The well-lit chamber revealed markings etched on the floorstones, whether they were intended to keep the worms down here or assist in foul rites I do not know.

In two identical side chambers were the grisly remains of sacrifice: one chamber contained perfectly preserved naked corpses, with the symbol of a coiling worm etched on their dead foreheads and chests. Head to toe in the other room were complete skeletons. Massive green blocks of stone displayed coiling worms along the walls.

The corridor leading south of the bodies ended in dense rockfall. The corridor leading south of the skeletons ended at double doors.

Will asked his shadow to look through the doors, and his shadow revealed the presence of another Faceworm. Tobias and I backed further down the corridor, shuttering the lantern, while Ragnor prepared a Fairie Fire so the creature couldn't turn invisible on us.

Corvan suddenly opened the door, Will fired arrows at the creature, while Ragnor succeeded in illuminating it with Fairie Fire. The Faceworm seemed to be reading books, but it later turned out that the creature merely made a nest of them. Tobias unleashed a Flame Strike and I shouted, save the books!

Then Will gurgled and fell over. Ragnor ran into the room, striking the Faceworm with his club. I ran in and struck it with three Scorching Rays. Corvan ran in and smited it. Finally, Tobias hit it again with another Flame Strike and it died!

But it was too late for Will. I realised what death effect the Faceworms were unleashing upon us! The dreaded Finger of Death.

There were several nests of books in this chamber, and the books dealt mostly with topics on necromancy and religious studies. I cast Detect Magic, in the hope that I would find something that might justify the loss of Will. I only found a book on making oneself fit and healthy, the irony!

Our explorations once again cut short by the death of a companion, Tobias wind walked us out of the Spire. We returned to the elven village, saddened by the loss of Will, and making preparations to bring him back to us.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
Champion of the Free Arena
glen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Letter to Mentor #74 Go to Greyhawk, collect 22929.5 gp Reply with quote

17th Day of Wealsun
Free City of Greyhawk

Dearest Allustan

I didn't tell the others, but I was a bit nervous casting my own rendition of Greater Teleport this afternoon. Tenser's scroll of Greater Teleport really helped my research, and made the whole task so much easier.

Of course, I was successful. I could take 4 people with me, but I only let Corvan, Tobias and Sheridan accompany me. Ragnor wanted to come, but I told him he couldn't, until he tells me where Jolan is, so I can rescue Jolan. I know it is petty, but little brother needs to learn not to keep secrets from big brother. Especially secrets about the in-between brother!

We arrived sans Will's body, as it wouldn't be appropriate to wander about the Free City with the corpse of a friend over the shoulder. Sheridan led us straight to Will's family villa, which is a most impressive estate in the very fashionable part of Greyhawk. I was amazed that Will even bothered slumming it with the rest of us. This amazement lasted up until the point when Tobias and I the "humans" were left to cool our heels outside while the "elves" were permitted inside, and no doubt provided refreshments and light food. Tobias and I amused ourselves by speculating on the melting point of the various materials we could see, and the life of a taxi driver.

I heard that Corvan did a fantastic job of breaking the bad news to Will's family, and that they readily agreed to help us raise funds to resurrect our urban ranger.

With that in mind, I did some window shopping at Maldin & Elenderi, killed some time at the Academy of Magic, and as night fell I used my last Greater Teleport to take all of us back to the jungle of Armedio.

18th Day of Wealsun
Armedio jungle

In the morning I cast Permanenced See Invisibility on myself.

Tobias cast Gentle Repose on Will (I must obtain that spell) and finally Speak with Dead. Tobias was obviously suffering from a lack of sleep as he was a bit sharp with me when I suggested possible questions he could ask. His last attempt to Speak with Dead (a certain black dragon I might add) was a case study in what NOT to ask. In any case, we discovered that Will did not want to be resurrected!

Well, that was an interesting turn of events! We removed party equipment loaned to Will, and prepared to take his body back to Greyhawk. The party equipment included:

Falchion + 1, Magebane (Corvan, why does he need more swords?)
Ring of the Wind Dukes (Ragnor)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds (Sheridan)
Wand of Barkskin (Sheridan)

Corvan, Sheridan, Tobias and I teleported outside Greyhawk and the presence of a paladin and senior cleric of Pelor smoothed the way into the Free City with a body in tow. We solemnly handed over Will's body to his family, and divided the treasure for his estate. Each of us, including Will's estate, received 3,821 gp. Ragnor received an additional 2,000 gp to reimburse him for reincarnation materials. Ragnor was going to give me a shopping list but sulked that morning instead. All he has to do is tell me where Jolan is. That's not much to ask.

While I was looking at my past letters for the party equipment loaned to Will, it occurred to me that I saw Ragnor fighting with his club the previous day. Yet he's had a Great Sword +2, that Bloodthirst cursed sword, and the Lantern of Moreto loaned to him. I haven't seen any of those items for a while. I hope he hasn't been flogging off party treasure for his own benefit.

Until midday I went around Greyhawk doing a bit more serious window shopping. But I did feel sad about Will. Honest.

At midday I used my last Greater Teleport to take all of us to Magepoint. I did some more serious window shopping and we stayed overnight again in the Allseeing Eye, compliments of Tenser. I wrote a note to Tenser, explaining what had happened so far, and that most of us are OK. I would return his Scroll of Greater Teleport once we had definitely finished at Kuluth-Mar.

I finished my will, and got it signed in Magepoint. The first rule of making a will is never include your adventuring companions as beneficiaries. That might lead them into temptation.

We discussed who would use the Manual of Bodily Health and Tobias wanted it. Tobias agreed to pay each of us 2,750 gp, as once he reads it he gets healthier and the magic is gone. I owe Tobias 2,541 gp so that suited me just fine (Tobias owes me 209 gp now, but I still owe Corvan 350 gp and Jolan 40 gp. I must get debt free by the end of the month!).

19th Day of Wealsun
Spire of Long Shadows
Kuluth-Mar

Another successful Greater Teleport later, after picking up Ragnor from the elven village, we returned to the bowels of the Spire of Long Shadows thanks to Sheridan. A Fly on me and Tobias sufficed this time to deploy. We tended to our spell buffs: I decided to indulge with Bear's Endurance and Cat's Grace, Shield from my wand, while Ragnor cast Mass Bull's Strength on us all, Tobias gave us Death Ward, and I finally amped the party with Extended Haste.

Someone opened the door and Ragnor threw an exploding acorn at something in the room beyond. Sheridan released arrows at the lit target. The creature turned and ran to the fountain in the room, plunging itself into the waters. All three guardians looked similar to the spell-casting creature we first encountered in the library above.

I Quickened True Strike Disintegrated the second guardian. It flashed briefly and burst into dust. A mithral breastplate clanged on the floor.

Corvan charged in and smote the third guardian. Then Tobias called upon the power of Pelor and Greater Turned both creatures. Their mithral breastplates fell with a clang on the floor.

I could tell that Corvan was a bit annoyed that the cleric and the wizard had stolen his kills. There will be plenty of other opportunities today, Corvan.

The chamber featured a beautiful fountain, carved in marble, dripping a small but steady stream of foul water into the channel along the floor, which ran directly into the Sea of Worms. Tobias approached it menacingly with his mace, while I wanted to salvage the mithral breastplate on the floor nearby. Tobias suddenly drank from the fountain, and I found myself strangely desiring to quench my thirst in its cool clear waters. Corvan wrenched Tobias away, who was vomitting up Kyuss worms at this point, and slapped me across the face. Corvan then cast Cure Disease on the cleric.

Fortunately the Kyuss worms could not survive outside their foul waters, and died upon exposure to air. Corvan and Tobias made short work of the fountain, with heavy flail and mace, but that did not stop the trickle of water. I Disintegrated the fountain ruins, then sealed the hole with a Wall of Stone. I'm a wizard, not a plumber!

Seeking to take advantage of our quick victory and still active Extended Haste, we flew back to the Sea of Worms, and flew/dimension doored over to the corridor beyond the southern blockage. There was an interesting alcove leading off before another door here. While I was looking, Tobias just went up and burst through the door! There must have been something in there, because he unleashed a Flame Strike immediately! And then again! And then Ragnor did the same!

I stepped back into the main corridor, and could see two library guardian creatures flying across the Sea of Worms trying to hurt Sheridan with spells, but I think his Death Ward protected the elf. I gave them a Quickened Fireball to play with. Tobias was sorely hurt by a trio of Death Knights trying to kill him in the doorway, so I gave them a Sculpted Empowered Fireball to play with as well. Fortunately Corvan is there to protect the cleric from further harm.

I guess I will have to protect Sheridan. Frankly I'm not sure who Ragnor will rush to help. He's not very happy with me at the moment.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

PS A copy of my will is attached
glen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #75 a wormy problem Reply with quote

19th Day of Wealsun
Spire of Long Shadows
Kuluth-Mar

Dearest Allustan

In front of us, a trio of Death Knights were trying to kill our cleric and paladin of Pelor. I was deeply concerned by the danger my friends were facing. Behind us, a duo of Worm Priests were trying to kill Sheridan. This worried me a little bit.

Sheridan released arrows at the Worm Priests, and then suddenly stopped yabbering! The immediate silence was ... wonderful. I must learn Hold Person as soon as possible. I wonder if I can get it made into a hat for Sheridan to wear.

Tobias retreated from the Death Knights and healed himself. Corvan stoically defended himself and his loyal party, taking a few hits himself as one of the Death Knights forced its way into the corridor.

Ragnor gestured wildly and I recognised his casting of Dispel Magic against the flying Worm Priests. Ragnor's attempt failed, but my Quickened Dispel Magic attempt succeeded. The two Worm Priests fell into the Sea of Worms with flailing arms and a dull plop!

I grabbed my flask of alchemist's fire from my spell component pouch, and gestured toward the room with the Death Knights. The flask vanished from my hand and the ground erupted beneath two Death Knights, shooting multiple fountains of fiery liquid upward. The power of my arcane might staggered one of the Death Knight but the other was totally unaffected - someone has a Resist Energy [Fire] spell active!

Corvan's blade glowed with bright yellow sunlight as he struck down the Death Knight I had damaged already with my Firebrand. Then Tobias sparked with another Greater Turning, collapsing the remaining pair of foul Death Knights to dust.

Before we could catch our breath, a gargantuan worm rose from the Sea of Worms bearing our two War Priests on top. I knocked both priests off with a Maximised Empowered Fireball, which the Kyuss Worm did not enjoy either. Tobias hit with a Flame Strike, while Corvan strode forward and readied a sword strike if the Kyuss Worm attacked us in the corridor. Ragnor ran forward and dragged Sheridan's helpless form into the safety of the alcove.

Tobias and I retreated to the room's entrance, which we could not enter as my Firebrand was still burning away. The horrible Kyuss Worm yawned forward with its gaping maw of teeth and bit something out of the paladin. Fortunately Corvan was not swallowed whole. I think he has a ring for that, having learnt from previous encounters with gaping maws.

Ragnor struck it with an Ice Storm while I blasted it with a Maximised Empowered Scorching Ray. Sheridan started yammering again, excited that he had hit the creature with a few piddly arrows.

Corvan retreated down the passageway, taking bites from the Kyuss Worm, which also sprayed the hapless scion of Pelor with little worms. With no prey it could eat, it double turned and dove back into the Sea of Worms.

Two now familiar and very persistent Worm Priests rose covered in their namesakes from the Sea of Worms, and some of us lost protective magics from an area Dispel Magic. I retaliated with a Maximised Fireball on both and a Quickened Scorching Ray on one of them, but they also had Resist Energy [Fire] active and my efforts, while impressively destructive and showy, were for naught.

Tobias finished them both off with a Greater Turning. Their mithral breastplates fell to the floor with a single dull clang.

The rooms beyond were empty, and the foyer was nothing but ash and smoke. Since I had Darkvision and See Invisibility, I volunteered to Wind Walk the last chamber across the other side of the Sea of Worms.

The last chamber is opulant, very plush, and well furnished. The furniture is oddly angled though. Bedecked with carpets and tapestries depicting carnage, torture, and strange abstract patterns that move, my Wind Walked eyes fell upon a throne. Sitting on the throne, invisible, was a six-armed undead creature that saw my misty shape and telepathically bade me to go away. I complied. We'll be back tomorrow Harbinger. He who brought the worms to Kyuss and even now knows what the Worm God is planning.

But I think we should get rid of one particular worm first so our way in and out is clear.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #76 return of the Jolan Reply with quote

19th Day of Wealsun
Spire of Long Shadows
Kuluth-Mar

Dearest Allustan

I'm sorry for taking so long to write, but something exciting has happened: Jolan has returned to us! The three brothers Evant are reunited at last!

After my scary encounter with the Harbringer, we retreated out of Kuluth-Mar and I identified some magic items. The next day we teleported back to Greyhawk, with Sheridan taking Ragnor as usual.

20th Day of Wealsun
Free City of Greyhawk

Greyhawk seemed dirtier, and there was a general sense of malaise. We heard rumours and saw evidence of worms infesting food, resist to clerical purification.

Our looted full plate was in demand, the mithral breastplate and steel shield not so much, but the five of us got 5,399 gp pocket money to spend in the Free City. I purchased a supply of diamond dust while most of the others got two amounts for any Stone Skin they want me to cast on them.

The plan was to teleport to Magepoint and spend the night there but Jolan found us in Greyhawk! At first I couldn't believe that the scruffy looking individual flashing his trident at us was Jolan. But it turned out he was now involved in smuggling half-orcs out of Greyhawk to safer climes! Jolan was deliberately vague as to how he returned from the dead, but as he now looks like a full-born orc, I suspect it was the same cheap and nasty route Ragnor favours so much. I would have hugged my brother, if not for the wicked spikes of his armour. He was glamored, protected by a Hat of Disguise.

Jolan agreed to return to our lodgings that night and catch up with what had happened since his departure. I'll give you a full report in my next letter. Jolan's just come in the door, let me summarise the next two days.

21st Day of Wealsun
Free City of Greyhawk

I teleported back and forth to Magepoint and collected my contingency focus and spell scrolls I had purchased there. My contingency spell will be Fly: "if I fall more than 5' or enter a body of liquid or creatures where I am not already under the effects of a Fly spell"

22nd Day of Wealsun
Free City of Greyhawk

Today we return to the Spire of Long Shadows and do battle with the Apostle of Kyuss in the Sea of Worms.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #77 the Overworm is done over Reply with quote

21st Day of Wealsun
Free City of Greyhawk

Oops, getting ahead of myself!

I forgot to mention that yesterday I tried to get magical tattoos from Jharan Hubris, but he was too busy to see me. At least this meant I could pay back Jolan the 40 gp I owe him. We donated the Blade of Aaqa (32,000 gp) and the Lightning Blade (many thousands gp) to the Temple of Pelor. I am unable to use the Blade of Aaqa as my research into Tenser's Transformation is temporarily stymied by no Potions of Bull's Strength, and the long sword/short sword are a set. The Temple promised we could borrow the swords if we had need of them later, and we left under the impression they might look in their vaults for something immediately useful to us when we returned to Greyhawk.

Despite the growing evidence of worms about Greyhawk, certain party members insisted on speaking the name of Kyuss out loud. They don't seem to believe me when I say this could attract the wrong sort of attention. In any case I can feel the worm wiggle a little in my head each time someone says the name of the Wormgod, and it is very disturbing.

I Greater Teleported everyone except Ragnor and Sheridan to Magepoint and collected my contingency focus and spell scrolls I had purchased there. My green dragon hide spell books were ready, but they can wait there. My contingency spell will be Fly: "if I fall more than 5' or enter a body of liquid or creatures where I am not already under the effects of a Fly spell".

Tenser had written a letter to me! Actually to everyone, but my name was first! He bade me to visit him (with the others of course) on the 28th of Wealsun, mentioning that he had some important information for us! It wasn't clear when on the 28th, maybe we could bring breakfast for the Archmage.

Rather than delay any longer, I Greater Teleported everyone except Ragnor and Sheridan to just outside the obsidian wall of Kuluth-Mar. Ragnor and Sheridan arrived via their usual route. I don't have any seventh level spells remaining, but time is of the essence! There seemed to be more worms than usual. Something was attracting birds to fall into the area bounded by the obsidian wall, which were then devoured by the ever-writhing lawn of worms.

Sheridan helpfully returned us to the Sea of Worms. I could see that Jolan was already gripping his trident tightly as his mental defenses broke down under the hapless bard's constant questioning: "Ohh, is that new armour, tell us how you got it!" or "Ohh, is that a new shirt, I bet there's a story behind that, let's hear it". Welcome back, brother!

Someone had lightning bolted the plumbing work I had done, opening up the water flow again. So it must be important to stop the water permanently. Lucky I have Wall of Stone again, so I can deal with the issue after we defeat the Overworm and the Harbringer.

Our plan was to let Corvan and Jolan attack the Overworm while Tobias and I struck with magic further back. We would attract the Overworm to the surface by destroying the worms in the sea with Wall of Fire. I did mention to everyone that the Wall of Fire lasts for as long as I concentrate, and then another minute or so after I start doing something else. Anything within 20' of the wall will die (eventually). I don't think Jolan was listening to me though. Welcome back, brother!

I cast my mighty Wall of Flame as a great burning circle, realising I had to make it smaller in diameter or fry us in the passageway. The worms writhed, burned, and died, and great clouds of steam rose from the sea, obscuring everything.

After a short period of time there was a great shudder as something huge rose from the depths and slammed Jolan against the wall, streaming worms from every surface. Jolan was knocked into the outer range of my Wall of Fire, and began to feel the heat. Corvan struck the Overworm with his sword, while Jolan stabbed it thrice with his trident. I Hasted everyone and tried to Disintegrate the creature, but only took out a chunk of meaty skin.

Corvan and Jolan had little worms rain upon them which Tobias destroyed with the might of Pelor. The Overworm was not affected, so I began to suspect it was not an undead creature like the Apostle of Kyuss but another foul aberration.

Corvan was trying to attract the Overworm's attention away from Jolan and was successful, as the Overworm tried to eat him. Our two valiant fighters struck true with their weapons while I burned the Overworm with a Quickened Scorching Ray and another Disintegrate. Definitely not undead. My Wall of Fire vanished suddenly and unexpectedly.

Tobias struck with his Flame Strike and the Overworm died before us, sliding back into the morass of boiling worms.

It looked like our plan worked, better than expected. Do we have time to huddle and plan our attack on the lich? I think the lich is already here, beyond the clouds of billowing steam.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #78 enter the Harbringer Reply with quote

21st Day of Wealsun
Spire of Long Shadows
Kuluth-Mar

Dearest Allustan

While we were preparing ourselves to attack the Harbringer lich, we were struck by another vision.

We had a bird's eye view of Kuluth-Mar, and thousands of citizens were gathered in the central plaza. We watched with horror as the black monolith atop the Spire somehow absorbed the souls of every man, woman and child in Kuluth-Mar, expanding outward in an ever-widening circle of death. The image of a colossal humanoid figure composed of millions of writhing worms took form around the Spire.

Then the colossal figure uttered a cry of anger, and was sucked into the black monolith.

On the streets of Kuluth-Mar, the dead bodies of its citizens stirred and rose as putrid worm-infested Kyuss zombies.

The vision faded then we all heard a voice in our minds.

"The Overworm has escaped this prison: another prophecy comes to pass"

We still couldn't see the Harbringer and we were bunched up in the entranceway so we retreated back into the antechambers to avoid any area effect spells. I cast Protection from Evil on myself and then Tobias, who returned the favour with Death Ward.

Then a great tide of worms sloshed into the main chamber. If the worms reached the hundreds of intact corpses in the opposite room, we would have a nightmare of Kyuss zombies to deal with. I cast Wall of Stone and sealed the entranceway. I moved out of our antechamber, hoping to catch sight of the Harbringer. Remember my Permanenced See Invisible? Tobias destroyed the worm swarm with a turning.

It was all I could do, not to flinch and react to seeing the invisible Harbringer as it entered the main chamber. I pretended I couldn't see it while watching the Harbringer very carefully. I readied a Counterspell, or a Dispel Magic if it wasn't a spell I knew.

Sure enough, the Harbringer flew into a position where it could strike us all, and started casting something I didn't know but recognised as Prismatic Spray. The Harbringer suddenly appeared, and its spell fizzled in my Dispel Magic. It gave me a look that indicated how utterly unimpressed it was with me.

Tobias cast a Greater Dispel Magic, and the magical green flames burning over the lich's skeletal corpse winked out, and where it was previously blurred to our sight it became clearer. Jolan ran behind the lich and stabbed it with a trident, but the lich didn't so much as flinch from the blow.

Corvan ran over to aid Jolan, his sword glowing a fierce blue, but stumbled on the way and didn't attack the creature. I despaired for a moment: the spellcasters are upholding their bit, what's with you melee types?!

The Harbringer started casting TWO spells at once with its six arms. I was most impressed by this. I chose the spell cast by four out of the six arms to dispel. I was again rewarded with a look of extreme displeasure, and the Scorching Rays cast by the remaining hands hit Corvan but the two rays aimed at me were instantly dispelled by my Ring of Counterspells.

Jolan stabbed the lich four times in a blind rage which Corvan struck the undead magic-user thrice. It laughed long and hard, apparently enjoying the combat and the damage it was suffering.

I tried a Quickened True Strike Disintegrate but only damaged part of its shoulder. I was out of Dispel Magics, so this time its Prismatic Spray hit all of us except Tobias.

Corvan was struck by a yellow beam and suffered electrical burns. I was hurt by an orange beam of acid. A blue ray struck Jolan and he was unaffected.

Tobias retaliated with his own Sunburst and the lich disintegrated in the bright, pure light of Pelor's power. As the lich dissolved, we heard in our minds its last refrain: "Freedom at last!"

The Spire started to shake and rattle as the Harbringer died, but we received one more vision from the lost city. Voices, hundreds of voices, joined into one and spoke of prophecies come true:

Worm-eating dead rise from the earth.
An immense demonic tree bursting into unholy life
A mighty comet impacting the earth
A town square wreathed in black smoke filled with eyes
A cackling man attaches a mummified hand to the stump of his arm
Another city built in the caldera of a volcano ... and the volcano erupts

Two more prophecies which we stopped:
A tripartite spirit becomes one.
A hero of the pit gifts a city to the dead

As the room collapsed around us Jolan and I stuffed what items we could gather from the Harbringers corpse, but we couldn't wait for Tobias' Wind Walk to take effect. I Teleported us beyond the obsidian wall.

The Spire collapsed on the wall far from us and shattered the arcane barrier. But fortunately all the worms had died and Kuluth-Mar was once again a dead city.

Using Wind Walk we found the elves looking upon the ruins of Kuluth-Mar with faces of despair. We reappeared close to them and tried to convince them that Kuluth-Mar was no longer a threat to them. They replied that their wise men had always said: when the Spire collapsed the Age of Worms would begin.

That night we stayed in the elven village and I gave away all my trade goods. Jolan didn't cause too much trouble with the elves. The following morning we Greater Teleported back to Magepoint.

22nd-27th Day of Wealsun
Magepoint
Hometown of the Archmage Tenser

What would I do without Magepoint? It is a shiny beacon of arcane light in the mundane darkness. We totally deserved some time off, resting and recuperating.

Things I did while waiting to meet with Tenser on the 28th:

Identified the magic items recovered from the Harbringer
Visited Agath, the caretaker of the Library Temple in Magepoint, presented him with my gift green dragonskin spellbook with vellum pages "Dear Agath, thank you again for your help in all things arcane - Anlan Evant"
Visited you, my beloved mentor Allustan, in Diamond Lake, and presented you with my gift green dragonskin spellbook with vellum pages "Dear beloved mentor Allustan, this dragon nearly ate me, but thanks to your training, I survived - Anlan Evant"
Wrote the following spells into my spellbooks: Tenser's Floating Disk (get Tenser to sign this one as well!), Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy. I'm running out of spell scribing materials, maybe I could ask Jolan for another loan
Gathered up Tenser's Scroll of Greater Teleport, my jar containing the Worm of Knowledge, and my gift green dragonskin spellbook with vellum pages. I'll present them to Tenser tomorrow. I have to remember to ask Tenser to sign his Tenser's Transformation in my spellbook.
Wondered whether I should teleport to Greyhawk, and see if my mithral buckler has received my requested enchantments from Maldin & Elenderi yet. It could be ready as early as the 25th, but it's hard to tell if they would make it a priority.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #79 dinner with Archmage Tenser Reply with quote

28th Day of Wealsun
Magepoint
Hometown of the Archmage Tenser

Dearest Allustan

It was a dinner meeting with Tenser, so I spent the day studying Nystul's Magic Aura to write into my Academy spellbook. I also Greater Teleported to Greyhawk to pick up my magic mithral buckler from Maldin & Elenderi. I can now call the buckler to my arm from anywhere in the world, and if I get hurt in combat, I can use it to boost myself a little twice a day.

It appears that during my week of spellbook swot everyone else has managed to visit Greyhawk as well. Jolan visited at least once, and Corvan has another Ioun stone that whizzes around his head like an annoying pink fly. I'm sure he gets these just to annoy me. Maybe I should work out how to imbed the things in flesh.

The Harbringer had the following magic items:

Circlet of Charisma + 6 (Jolan, 36,000 gp)
Rod of Extend Metamagic (Tobias, 11,000 gp)
Rod of Fury + 2 (Tobias, 38,800 gp)
Robe of Resistance (Anlan, 25,000 gp)
Ring of Force Shield (Anlan, 8,500 gp)

Jolan wears the circlet because everyone else has something on their head. I can already Extend and Empower spells, which is what the Rod of Extend Metamagic and Rod of Fury do respectively, so Tobias can make better use of the green and red rods. Jolan already has a Ring of Force Shield, Corvan and Tobias already use shields so I'm wearing the ring instead of my Ring of Protection. My mithral buckler is still useful, but only just. It was a hard decision to put away my mithral twilighted chain shirt so I could wear the Robe of Resistance, but I can cast an Extended Mage Armour that lasts longer than a day and have nearly the same protection. At least I haven't spent more money enhancing the armour - just the buckler!

Celeste met us at the causeway, and we joined Tenser, Agath and Eligos for an extremely pleasant informal dinner with plenty of food. Tenser wanted to hear the gossip that I didn't write in my letters, and seemed intrigued that it was an ancient red dragon which took away the Obelisk after the apparent failure of Kyuss' ascension ceremony.

Tenser talked about the research Celeste, Eligos and himself were conducting, and while I don't remember the details due to the excellent wine that was available at dinner, it seems our next stop is Alhaster, in the bandit kingdom of Redhand. It is a known base for the Church of Hextor and Wee Jas. So at least there will be some decent magic facilities there. Bucknard's reserach indicated that a cabal of Hextorian heretics had established a cult involved with writhing dead. This cult was purged by the Church of Hextor, with the help of someone call Lashonna, an elven spellcaster. Celeste found one suggestive note left by Bucknard:

"Alhaster is the Key

Missing heretics never captured... Possible site of Ebon Triad foundation? Did they turn to the cult of Erythnul for aid, and then more recently to that of Vecna?
Are new Triad leaders trained somewhere in Alhaster? And then sent out to start their own cult cells in other cities?

To Do:

- Lashonna (helped defeat heretics, may know more about them that wasn't printed)
- Rhorsk (research indicates he did not flee Alhaster after it fell - he's probably dead but may have left some sort of legacy)
- Ebon Triad (are they still active in town? Find out if their original hideout/shrine still exists)"

Tenser was happy to have his Scroll of Greater Teleport returned, and I'm sure he was impressed that I used it to write up my own version in my spellbook. I asked him to sign my Academy Spellbook where I wrote up Tenser's Floating Disk, and my 6th level spellbook where I wrote in Tenser's Transformation. He seemed pleased to receive my gift green dragonskin spellbook with vellum pages and the dedication "Archmage Tenser, thank you very much for your sage advice and helpful assistance, Anlan Evant". As for my jar containing the Worm of Knowledge, Tenser was so impressed he had to call some servants to store it away safely and immediately somewhere else.

We gave ourselves a day to prepare for Greater Teleport departure thanks to another one of Tenser's pictures. I wrote Nystul's Magic Aura into my Academy spellbook, and I heard the party purchased two Wands of Cure Light Wounds for use in our travels. I got hold of my Wand of Cure Light Wounds formerly in the possession of Will. It only has 4 charges left, so I suspect it will soon be gone.

Next stop, Alhaster!

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #80 arrival in Alhaster Reply with quote

1st Day of Richfest
Alhaster, bandit kingdom of Redhand

Dearest Allustan

A quick note to say we've all arrived safely in Alhaster, thanks to my Greater Teleport. I'm just about to leave our rooms at the Scattergut Tavern to attend sunset services at the Scarlet Spire, the Church of Wee Jas here.

We had a full day exploring Alhaster, and I'm pleased to have my capable bodyguards with me. This is a rough town and an innocent, fresh face like mine would be quickly mugged without my uglies around.

Impressions of Alhaster:

They are still capturing and hanging Ebon Triad heretics in the marketplace, so the cult is either still active or it is useful excuse to eliminate political opponents
    Prince Zeech's palace of bronze and brass has a red stone wall
    Arena is presenting a fight between owlbears and escaped slaves in two days time
    There is a tavern called "The Main Evant" which Ragnor and Sheridan found first
    Big Project is a large ziggarat of stone, the purpose of which is still unclear
    Angel's Eyrie has inhabitants who can fly with what looks like bat wings, very gloomy and gothic, dark stone towers et al
    Church of Kord is an abandoned ruin, a blackened hulk of a church. It has a half-symbol of St Cuthbert on one of the walls, and Rhorsk was a cleric of St Cuthbert!

Maris Quemp is a big man in Alhaster, with his own manor. I arranged an appointment with his secretary to discuss "the defense of Alhaster" with him tomorrow morning an hour after sunrise. Apparently Jolan doesn't even know the guy, so there goes our networking advantage! I guess I'll have to charm him with my winning personality.

Lashonna has her own estate as well, but is "indisposed" for 2 months - I couldn't get an appointment even after I slipped the guard a gold piece. I guess we'll have to ask Maris if he knows how to contact her.

If we can't get any sense out of anyone here in Alhaster tomorrow, and if I can't find useful magics to get up to at the Scarlet Spire tonight, I vote to explore the ruins of the Church of Kord!

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant
glen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #81 making friends in Alhaster Reply with quote

1st Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

There's so much going on at the moment, it's hard to get everything straight. We're staying at the Ogre's Hideout, not the Scattergut Tavern. The Church of Kord is fine, except that is run by a moron and has as many adherents as a paladin's brothel. It is the Church of St Cuthbert that is a destroyed ruin.

Corvan and Jolan accompanied me to the Scarlet Spire, after they promised me they would be on their best behaviour. Almerah was the High Priest of the local representatives of the Grey Lady in Alhaster. She is apparently human, speaks in a shrill annoying harpy-like voice, and I don't think she is much loved by her congregation. I like her.

In any case after her sunset sermon I donated 3 gp and one of my scrolls of See Invisibility, and managed to speak to her briefly afterwards. She didn't seem to think much of Lashonna. Despite my best efforts to find out more information. she launched into a sales spiel and tried to convince me I needed beauty treatments and the like. Fortunately other people wanted to talk with her and we were taking up too much of her valuable time.

On the way back to the Ogre's Hideout I suggested to Corvan and Jolan that we should check out the ruins of the Church of St Cuthbert. There were magical signs on it stating that the church had been condemned by the Almighty Prince Zeech. Jolan and I searched around in the dark looking for interesting things while Corvan waited innocently in the dark alley next to the Church. Jolan searched the back and found a hidden stone trap door. He needed help lifting it so I hissed at Corvan to come in. Corvan made an awful lot of noise entering the church - he can't see in the pitch black anymore - and we didn't get much further before someone arrived in response.

With a faint pop the love of my life appeared in the nave of the church. My heart was smitten by the competent way she wielded her black crossbow, her slender figure in tight black leather contrasting infernally with her glowing red eyes and bat wings. My tongue clove to the roof of my mouth and I heard a sudden buzzing in my ears. I don't remember her first sexy words to us, but I know she didn't want us in the church.

I managed to gain control of my tongue and I asked feebly to whom did we have the honour of speaking to? She declared that "Blessed Angels will not be talked to in such a manner". I didn't handle this rejection very well and I regret to say I stomped off in a huff out the demolished front entrance and into the street.

Corvan stayed to ask if the Blessed Angel had a friend, which set my imagination afire. Our Blessed Angel took flight and she followed me the rest of the night. It was so romantic! It's just as well the Lords of Hell sent a barbed devil with two bone devils to reclaim our brief possession of that fragment of the Rod of Seven Parts. If they had sent her, I might have been greatly tempted to give it up in return for a date!

I passed by the Church of Kord thinking these happy thoughts, and noticed an unhappy group of five men in the gymnasium-like temple. This was a great shame I thought so I gestured for Corvan and Jolan to follow me into the temple. I said to the High Priest, Lanthis, who greeted us, that "Jolan thought his god was bigger than your god Kord". Jolan fought them all in unarmed combat and made me proud by not killing anybody this time. Kord worshippers bond to those who beat them up so to celebrate our new non-flying friends we went to the Main Evant for drinks.

Lanthis explained that the Blessed Angels are Alhaster's elite police force - normal crime is handled by the city watch but the lovely lady devils handle high profile crimes and crimes against Lord Zeech. Is stealing my heart high profile enough?

I got carried away with my employer role and shouted the Kord crew drinks for the night. I noticed that the tavern sign "the Main Evant" wasn't a complete entity - the Evant is carved in stone while the rest was added after. I made some enquiries while Jolan got excited about the boxing ring in the middle. Eventually I found a mature, older woman who kept calling me "Sonny Boy", and wanted to go somewhere else with me, but she did explain that the place was once a warehouse run by a nice merchant called Evant. He was arrested for treason 20 years ago by the brand new Prince Zeech and the sentence for treason is death. I'm sure no-one remembers the name Evant in Alhaster anymore, so I can safely investigate to see if this Evant was related to my mother or my grandfather!

Lanthis was still unhappy in his beer and he made mention of the fact that his congregation was slowly dwindling away. I suggested that in such a rough place like Alhaster, perhaps if the Church ran free self-defence classes they might prove popular, give his loyal followers something useful to do, and gain followers by providing something useful in their lives. Lanthis thought this was a brilliant idea and seemed much cheered by the prospect.

We made our merry way home and discovered Tobias at the Ogre's Hideout unable to sleep due to the great amount of celebration during Richfest. It was a golden opportunity to show everyone my version of Mordekainen's Magnificant Mansion - I call it Anlan's Amazing Apartment. I cast the spell proudly and loudly and everyone was speechless in amazement - at least no-one said a word when I showed them the lovely foyer with the bare, big-breasted nymph fountain, the dinner table set for over 150 with a nine-course meal, the intricate and detailed murals of my travels with them so far. The transparent servants I created in my own original half-orc image were perhaps a little over the top, but the triple A is still a work in progress. Another day tomorrow!

2nd Day of Richfest

In the morning, I discovered I forgot to include privies in my Amazing Apartment. Jolan improvised and used the fountain. He had also provided some tools to the servants and they were progressively chipping out every image of myself from the murals. Fortunately there are a lot of images of me in the murals and even overnight they had not completed the task.

I had a meeting with Maris Quemp an hour after sunrise. Corvan, Jolan and myself entered his manor grounds without incident and while waiting for him we got to hear some sort of domestic argument between Maris and his wife. Maris has his servants dress in stereotypical barbarian costumes.

Maris is most definitely a very handsome-looking human with only trace of orc in him. He is taller than Jolan's current incarnation, about 6' 8".

I explained as best I could about the threat approaching Alhaster, and wondered aloud if there had been any reports about worm-writhing undead. Maris didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked Jolan to demonstrate with an appropriate illusion using his Hat of Disguise. Maris nearly jumped out of his seat when Jolan pretended to show him something with his hands, but then transformed into a pus-filled worm-ridden Kyuss zombie before his eyes. Maris seemed to think we could make a lot of money putting on a show in Alhaster. I hid a great sigh and changed the subject.

Maris was quite clear what he thought of Lashonna's absence for two months: she was warming the bed of Prince Zeech. As for the evidence of the Ebon Triad in Alhaster, he didn't know, but it was a religious matter, so ask the religious leaders. He then made a point of noting that one never chooses one's leaders, unlike wives whom you can divorce. Obviously he thought his wife was listening to our conversation. We bade our farewells and left the Quemp manor.

For lunchtime I insisted we visit the Church of Kord where I discussed with Lanthis a new idea I had for the Richfest celebrations: have a Kord feast. Lanthis seemed quite glum about it until I said I would provide the venue and food, he just needed to invite 150 people or so. Then I showed him my thoughts made reality via a casting of Anlan's Amazing Apartment, but with a gymnasium Kord theme. He got really enthusiastic about this, and we agreed a mid-week party would be best - it would not be wise to compete with Lord Zeech's party at the end of the week. The Church of Kord needs a good clean and tidy-up before then, but I will leave that up to the worshippers of Kord: they need to do something for themselves.

Since I am in a town again, I am making a list of things we need to do, so nothing important is forgotten. With so much to do and so much to see, the days can sometimes sprint by.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

2nd Richfest Corvan or Jolan have a fight at the Main Evant I think. I need to deliver a red rose to the Church of St Cuthbert (using Invisibility and Mage Hand). Need to confirm that Scarlet Spire has any useful arcane library, or if it just concentrates on making pretty faces prettier
4th Richfest Church of Kord celebration (150 invite only)
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. I wonder what it would take to get an invitation. I assume we need to find partners to take along. Angel or Almerah? Devil or wizard? Who has the choice, has the pain!
glen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #82 making non-friends in Alhaster Reply with quote

2nd Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

Alhaster is a very rough place. I'm the great wizard Anlan Evant, all 17 years of me, with my mercenary bodyguards, who joke about leaving me all alone while I joke about paying them money. My green robes with the extra sleeves seem to attract attention, but I don't know why. Perhaps I can find a tailor to improve my fashion sense.

Did I tell you that yesterday we found a shop that openly sold poisons? It's called Golg's Tinctures, and the alchemist who owns it has his "special tinctures" on public display!

I had a productive though hurried lunch with Lanthis thanks to my casting of Anlan's Amazing Apartments. Apparently he felt he could speak more plainly within the secure confines of my Apartment. I mused openly about the likelihood of attending Prince Zeech's Party with either the Blessed Angel or Almerah.

Lanthis explained that the Blessed Angels are known as the Black Nuns of Hextor, so it is clear which side the devils align with! I don't like associating with minions of Hextor so I guess I'll just have to think more clearly in future. Lanthis also voiced his suspicions of Lady Almerah - she is the High Priest of Magic and Death after all - and retold dark stories of missing persons and transfusions and the like. During the course of the quick lunch I couldn't help but think that I seem to have very poor taste in women.

Corvan gave himself away while in the Apartment with Lanthis - or Lanthis is smarter than he looks - and Lanthis explained that while Alhaster portrays itself as openly tolerant to all faiths, anyone worshipping good-aligned gods suffers from near constant, low-level harassment, and eventual disappearances.

Lanthis also knew where the Ebon Triad cult had its main base: a warehouse that had burnt down many years ago. He gave us directions, apparently not far from the Main Evant.

After bading Lanthis and my Apartment farewell, we made haste to the marketplace where I was pinged for one silver piece to purchase a red rose! I think I got robbed, but I was in a hurry as we needed to get to the Main Evant for a punch-up.

I cast Prestidigitation and enhanced the rose's colour and scent for an hour. Then near the vicinity of the ruins of the Church of St Cuthbert I turned Invisible and using Mage Hand I threw the rose into the church in the general vicinity of the altar. Ah, how sweet a crush I have!

Corvan and Jolan were doing something around the ruins too, but I was so pleased about my successful delivery that I forgot to be nosy.

At the Main Evant it turned out that Corvan, the elven paladin, was up against a hobgoblin. We've never fought a hobgoblin before, so I was looking forward to seeing Corvan fight. Corvan had 5 to 1 odds so I put 10 gp on Corvan winning the fight again M'Mus the hobgoblin. I think Jolan and Tobias put 1 gold and 10 silver on the hobgoblin. Traitors.

While killing time before the fight I made further enquiries about the Main Evant venue. The Evants were a wealthy family with merchant interests in the Shieldlands, and the family didn't agree with Prince Zeech's Declaration of Independence. I already know our mother Jesona was a refugee from the Shieldlands, and she named us Anlan, Jolan and Telan after her father, grandfather and great-grandfather respectively. So were they famous adventurers or merchants? Or both? Intriguing.

Corvan brought down the hobgoblin M'Mus in about half a minute of vicious pounding. M'Mus looked quite surprised when the wiry wood elf felled him with a wicked head punch. I was sure Corvan was putting some smite into the punches.

I went to collect my 50+10 gold piece winnings and discovered that the bookie had vanished after the fight. Tobias confirmed his disappearance. It took me a while to figure out what had happened but then the copper piece dropped: Taggart couldn't pay out my bet so he had done a runner. Well, I'll find him and demonstrate why one does not welsh on a bet. There was some bad talk about how I had set M'Mus up but I simply said if I felt like giving M'Mus a chance I would have let Tobias fight him.

Next up to fight was Jolan, and I was a bit nervous about it all. I asked Jolan nicely not to kill his opponent, it just wouldn't be sporting.

Jolan was up against a beefcake human farmer called Cloten. It was really hard to find someone willing to take my bet, but I found someone who gave me 2 to 1 odds against Jolan. I bet 1 gold this time.

I knew the fight was going to go really badly for Cloten the moment it started. Jolan snorted and spat a huge green gob of phlegm into his eyes! It was so disgusting! Cloten was clearly blinded and then Jolan entered a rage and started pummelling the poor lad! Corvan and I moved closer to the ring, but the ringmaster stopped me and said something about "no magic". I shouted that Jolan was going to kill the farmer if we didn't help. The ringmaster tried to intervene and narrowly ducked a gob of phlegm that blinded someone in the audience. During all this confusion Corvan managed to heal the pinned and rapidly fading Cloten of some damage but Jolan noticed this and gave Tobias the Stare. I was ready to teleport myself and Cloten out of danger but then Jolan's rage subsided. Cloten was safe!

Jolan bought Cloten two drinks, one to wash his eyes with and the other to drink. I pressed my 2 gp winnings into Cloten's hand and joked that the last demon Jolan fought didn't come off quite as well as the farmer boy. Only a small white lie, as the last demon Jolan fought managed to kill Jolan but we killed it soon afterwards.

After the excitement of the Main Evant we decided to indulge in our main purpose of visiting Alhaster, which was to track down the location of the Ebon Triad in the city. Our next stop was the place where they hung up the corpses of executed criminals. It is a fairly dreary place, and I was glad we were not visiting it at night. After Wind Walking across to the sodden hummocks of mud and temporary silt islands I cast Invisibility Sphere so we could work in secret.

We found the three Ebon Triad cultists in a skiff just arrived from Alhaster proper. No-one was around and there were tracks of at least two young juvenile dragons and men at the location. We took one body away and smashed the skulls of the other two cultists, then set the skiff to drift down the river. We took the body to a deserted spot on the islands and Tobias cast Speak with Dead.

1. Were you a member of the Ebon Triad?
Yes

2. Is Prince Zeech in league with the Ebon Triad?
No

3. Where were you captured?
In the market

4. How many Ebon Triad cultists are in Alhaster?
I don't know

5. Who is the highest ranking Ebon Triad member in Alhaster?
Mother Maggot

6. What allies do you have in Alhaster?
None

7. Why is the Ebon Triad in Alhaster?
It was founded here

We considered that perhaps we should have kept the other two bodies for interrogation as well.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

2nd Richfest Need to confirm that Scarlet Spire has any useful arcane library, or if it just concentrates on making pretty faces prettier
2nd Richfest Find Taggart, bookmaker with no honour
2nd Richfest SECRET RECON of previous site of Ebon Triad cult base
3rd Richfest Explore previous site of Ebon Triad cult base
3rd Richfest Arena is presenting a fight between owlbears and escaped slaves (WHAT TIME)
4th Richfest Church of Kord celebration (150 invite only - we should invite Cloten)
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. I wonder what it would take to get an invitation.
glen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #83 making progress in Alhaster Reply with quote

2nd Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

My Invisibility Sphere is great for party-related stealth and subtlety. Unfortunately it is ill-suited for carrying dead bodies: because you can't wear a dead body it doesn't become invisible.

The dead body floating through the air attracted attention. I heard a surprised conversation in Draconic discussing our body floating around and moving about on it's own. I tried to pretend that the body had turned into a zombie by walking it and making "Muuuuhhhh" noises. Sadly my pantomime was for naught as Jolan suddenly threw his Trident of Returning at a black dragon's head bobbing some 20' feet away in the river.

We all became visible and became involved in combat with two young juvenile black dragons. I cast Chain Lightning on the two reptiles, while Tobias struck them with Flame Strikes. They leapt out of the water into flight, but Jolan was doing particularly well with his trident. They breathed on us, but the damage was minor compared to the unnamed black dragon who destroyed Diamond Lake. I however got first blood with a Quickened Magic Missile on the black dragon who was the unfortunate focus for our attacks, with a Fireball for his companion. His companion swore revenge against me and I got bitten, but Corvan opened a long gash down the companion's side. Tobias brought the companion down with another Flame Strike.

Sadly both dragon bodies fell into the river, and we were unable to recover them because we heard an unknown number of other black dragons emerging from their burrows, their draconic hisses asking "what's happening", "who disturbs us?". I asked the others to gather around and we Greater Teleported to a quiet area of forest north of Alhaster. I Disintegrated the Ebon Triad corpse to remove any further evidence of our visit.

We returned to Alhaster looking as innocent as a mage with his orc, elven and human bodyguards could possibly be. We passed by the previous secret site of the Ebon Triad in Alhaster. It has been cleared and is now a well-run stablery. Corvan chatted to one of the handlers about horse-flesh while I gazed intently at the site but with a air of boredom about me. There wasn't anything that looked like an obvious area to investigate.

It was nearing dusk so I wanted to determine if the Scarlet Spire had an arcane library I could obtain access to. First we dropped by the Church of Kord and spoke to Lanthis: I wanted to invite Cloten to the Church party, and we told Lanthis we would be inviting one guest each, for a total of 5 invitees. He agreed to this and we discussed briefly inviting Maris Quemp. Lanthis mentioned that Maris might be having his own party at the same time, but he agreed to invite Maris anyway.

There will be enough food for 168 people to enjoy a 9-course banquet, but I could probably invite more if I knew they weren't going to eat. I have to test whether I can leave my Apartment or not. Certainly, only those I designate may enter, and the portal is shut and made invisible behind me when I enter. I can keep the party going for 28 hours so possibly I should mention this to Lanthis if he wants an all-nighter. I should do all this testing with the Apartment tonight.

The visit to the Scarlet Spire was a non-event. Maybe it had something to do with me only donating 4 gp this time rather than money and magic. I only got to speak with one of Almerah's minions - she was off down below the Spire as soon as her dreadfully boring sermon was over. I pretended to enjoy the sermon because I knew the others were bored stiffed and it would annoy them. You can only access the library if you are a member of the Church. I truly believe that the church should be separate from the magic, but obviously the adherents of the Ruby Goddess just don't understand this gem of wisdom.

When we got back to the Ogre's Hideout a noisy party was in flow. Half the bar was filled with hobgoblins. It was amazing the silence that spread when Corvan entered. He shouted everyone a drink, including M'Mus standing at the bar, and normal celebrations ensued. We heard that B'Kruss, the hobgoblin warlord, was in town, and he had some sort of military alliance with Prince Zeech.

Jolan insisted on busty orc wenches for Anlan's Amazing Apartments' servants. He was disappointed to hear they were not capable of reading bedtime stories. Actually that's not what he asked regarding their capabilities but my letters to you, my beloved mentor, are rated G for good. This night I remembered to include toilets.

3rd Day of Richfest

We awoke in the morning to discover one of the annoying street bards outside singing a song about a fisherman who defeated an evil black dragon. This caught our interest, and we discovered that overnight one of the fisherman had claimed to have beaten a black dragon to death with his wooden oar.

Quicker than Tobias could learn Speak with Dead we were at the marketplace. A large tent had been set up and a crowd had already gathered. An entrepeneurial type was charging 1 cp a head to see the black dragon! Corvan slipped him 15 gp and asked for a 15 minute private painting session. We were ushered into the tent without further ado.

We covered the ten minutes it took Tobias to cast the spell in loud voices discussing various painting angles, the light, the colours, how much black we needed, and exactly how black is black and so forth.

This close and personal to the black dragon's corpse we confirmed what we had suspected the previous day, that this dragon was related to the one who destroyed Diamond Lake.

1. Are you allied with Prince Zeech?
No

2. Are you allied with the Ebon Triad?
No

3. Who do you work with in Alhaster?
We don't bother with the city, they bring us bodies to eat. We hoped they would help us with The Thing in the swamp

4. Can you describe Mother Maggot?
My mother was Ilfane the Mighty, slain by brutes

5. What is The Thing in the swamp?
A tremendous creature created by the experiments my mother did

6. Can you describe the experiments?
My mother would brew substances to feed us, make us stronger, make us different

7. How many dragons are there?
There are my 3 brothers.

So Ilfane destroyed Diamond Lake, and we have 2-3 more juvenile black dragons of her lineage to face. However I have a plan where we will convince them to help us help them.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Find Taggart, bookmaker with no honour
3rd Richfest Pretend to be representatives of the City of Alhaster, come to assist the black dragons of the swamp against The Thing
3rd Richfest Arena is presenting a fight between owlbears and escaped slaves (WHAT TIME)
3rd Richfest Tell Cloten he'd better come to the Church of Kord celebrations or else
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. I wonder what it would take to get an invitation.
glen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #84 the Thing in the swamp Reply with quote

3rd Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

Our plan required us to return to the sodden islets in a boat with the others disguised as Alhaster guardsmen. Tobias cast Wind Walk and Resist Energy [acid] on us as a precaution. I could cast my own Resist Energy [acid].

A happy fisherman received 3 gp for a loan of his boat. We arrived at the islets with no further incident. We made plenty of noise on the approach so the dragons knew we were coming.

Although I would be the first to confess I am not particularly personable, I am the only member of the party to speak Draconic so once again I was point man to danger. I got the dragon's attention by shouting a greeting in Draconic and the first black dragon showed itself quickly. A second one sneaked up behind us to flank, and Corvan pretended to be worried.

I explained to the first black dragon that the city of Alhaster understood they were having difficulty with a Thing in the swamp, and that we were sent to assist "our" dragons. It didn't like the implied ownership so I apologised profusely and mumbled something about allies. The black dragon wanted to know how I knew so I simply used the avenue available to all good government bureaucrats: I was not privy to that information.

The black dragon explained that in the centre of an island was a hole and in that hole was a foul beast of undeath and acid. We needed to go in and destroy it. It would lead us there.

The dragons looked like they couldn't make up their minds, whether to kill and eat us then and there, or watch us fight the Thing, then kill and eat us. In any case, they led us to the centre where a gaping hole marred the otherwise picturesque landscape of dreary mud flat, seared plant growth and hanged corpses displayed so all could see and smell.

In keeping with our cover, I ordered the men into the hole first, and took up the rear. It was dark and creepy as we advanced down the tunnel into a large chamber that was clearly once an alchemist's lab. A huge green pool of water glowed phosphorescently directly ahead while large glass canisters stood forlornly in the corner, ledges filled with alchemical supplies long neglected, dusted with the indifference of decades.

I cast Extended Haste and Corvan and Jolan moved into the room. The green liquid in the pool took on the shape of a lumbering draconic beast, dripping acid, with melted draconic and human skulls giving it a fearsome visage. Corvan was bathed in a cone of concentrated acid but his protection held.

I cast Lingering Flame against the creature but my spell fizzled against it. A Quickened Magic Missile salvo struck true. Corvan smote it. Tobias tried to turn it and fizzled. Jolan tried to burn it with alchemist's fire and fizzled. The acid the creature gave off hissed on Corvan's magic blade but the sword appeared unharmed - for now.

The Acid Dragon tried to bite Corvan and strike him with its tendrils of dripping acid, but the paladin was unharmed. I cast Firebrand and while the creature was unharmed its pool and surrounds erupted into fierce heat. Tobias cut the creature off from its pool of acid with an appropriately sculpted Wall of Stone. I hate it when other people steal my spells - first Ragnor with his Polymorph, Sheridan with his Dimension Door and Teleport, and now Tobias with his Wall of Stone. Do I leave my spellbooks lying around open in my sleep?

The Acid Dragon lumbered forward and my friends were in close combat with the creature so a Sculpted Empowered Fireball in a line successfully hit and damaged it. Tobias struck it with his mace, Jolan missed it with his trident.

It breathed again on Tobias and I. Our acid protection held but Tobias was physically weakened by its noxious fumes. A Sculpted Maximised Fireball in a line penetrated the creatures awesome defenses, and Corvan slashed and stabbed it three times. Tobias retaliated again with a crushing blow from his mace.

Then Jolan stabbed it with his trident and the Acid Dragon collapsed into a noisome pool of liquid and foul gases at our feet.

I took the opportunity to use for the first time our Rod of Bodily Restoration on Tobias, restoring his former strength. Tobias was quite surprised at me stealing his thunder. I laughed and Jolan and I immediately started to search the chamber. There were thousands of corroded coins in the lair which almost made me cry. Jolan had two 10' poles which we used to probe the almost-sealed acid pool but achieved nothing except ruining the poles. Corvan and Tobias were guarding the entranceway when Tobias gestured me over. They could hear the black dragons talking at the front.

I turned Invisible and ran up the passageway. I could hear the dragons talking amongst themselves, trying to convince the larger of the three to enter the passageway and "check things out". I shouted in Draconic, requesting that the dragons stand down from hostility, but then a line of acid passed down the passageway to splatter against the new Wall of Stone. I shouted again, "Dragons, stand down, this is your last chance" and was rewarded for my efforts toward peace and goodwill with an acid bath. Fortunately my Resist Acid was still functioning. I then cast Wall of Fire around the entranceway which drove off the dragons.

Unfortunately I must concentrate to maintain the Wall. So it was left to the others to search the chamber. It seemed to take forever. After an interminable wait, the others announced they had found everything of value that could be found: intact coins, jewellery, a mithral shield and three adamantium vials. Rather than risk further bloodshed with the black dragons I sealed the chamber with my own casting of Wall of Stone, and we all Greater Teleported out back to Alhaster. Let the black dragons chew over that!

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

3rd Richfest Explain to previously happy fisherman where his boat is
3rd Richfest Tell Cloten he'd better come to the Church of Kord celebrations or else
glen

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #85 the Thing in the crypt Reply with quote

3rd Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

We felt we owed the hapless fisherman an explanation about his boat - although we only told him it was lost, and Corvan paid him 40 gp for a new boat. He looked both happy at the gold and disconcerted that we would even care about making sure he was properly compensated for his craft. Our reputation for fair-dealing and honesty grows by the day.

While trudging back to Alhaster I suddenly thought of an idea to explore the stables: we would Wind Walk in disguise! Tobias declined to accompany us but did agree to cast the spell. Tobias still needed his Hat of Disguise so I used one of my Scrolls of Disguise Self to pretend to be one of the executed Ebon Triad cultists. Our plan worked marvelously, except that we could not find any underground passageways. We only had a few minutes when priests of Hextor arrived to "exorcise the ghosts from the stables", and Jolan had the brilliant idea of entering the stables to "assist" in the exorcism and use the opportunity to make a more physical search of the stables et al. Sadly we were still unable to find anything leading downwards and I was most disappointed that the cultists had not seen fit to dig deeper. But they must be around somewhere in Alhaster.

We cashed up the loot from the Acid Dragon's lair, and divided it evenly amongst ourselves. With my 1,000 gp I purchased spell writing materials. I really want to write some of my spell scrolls into my spellbooks. I checked the adamantine vials - each contains liquid of a different shade of green.

We found Cloten at the Main Evant and I invited him to the celebrations tomorrow at the Church of Kord. He will be bringing his friends along and they appeared quite enthusiastic when I mentioned the 9-course banquet.

Taggart had apparently showed his face in the Main Evant! Clearly I will have to arrive Invisible to catch the crook. Jolan showed an interest in Taggart too, but I want Taggart for myself.

Since we had no more clear leads to follow up on, we decided to return to the ruins of the Church of St Cuthbert and explore underneath the stone trapdoor. Once near the church, I cast Invisibility Sphere while Tobias cast Silence.

We opened up the stone trapdoor silently without incident. We descended down a long stairwell which showed traces of bootprints and bare human feet, some fresh. The walls had gaping holes in them. We entered a small crypt, and we were suddenly confronted by a reeking ghoul in the tattered remains of fine robes bearing the sigil of St Cuthbert, wearing a chainmail shirt.

Jolan immediately attacked the creature, and so did Corvan.

Suffice to say the Silence was tactically disadvantageous for us so I stepped back and Quickened Dispelled it. Then protecting myself with Fires of Purity I yelled to my brother and paladin friend to stop attacking: the creature might be Rhorsk!

Upon hearing the name the creature hesitated then clawed the paladin. Corvan turned the ghoul, making it grovel. I got in the way of Jolan's line of sight so he wouldn't throw his trident at it anymore. Corvan stood back and tried to read its mind. It did appear to be Rhorsk. His mind was cracked from his undead transformation so Jolan finished him off, and we stuffed the body into a Bag of Holding. We searched the crypt but found nothing, so departed the Church of St Cuthbert unmolested. Maybe Tobias can do something about helping Rhorsk.

Our leads for finding out more about the Ebon Triad have dried up. I will have to be creative with my Church of Kord party tomorrow, and make it clear to any spies in the audience where we stand (mural ideas listed below). Maybe we can encourage the Ebon Triad to be stupid and attack us directly.

I'd forgotten about the arena fight - I haven't seen owlbears before, but they are apparently fearsome beasts. I hope we haven't missed it.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Identify what is in the 3 adamantium vials, and how much the vials are worth just for the metal
Murals will portray the Evant brothers as personal nemesises of the Ebon Triad, especially since their minions destroyed Diamond Lake
Really play on each of my deaths, and subsequent reincarnation half-orc, orc, human. Yeah, even my subsequent transformation into a Spawn of K'yuss. That deserves a whole panel.
Show nothing of Alhaster, except that we're in Alhaster to see the execution of the three Ebon Triad cultists, and we have stayed because Prince Zeech is so fascinating and loved here (hanging out to get an invite). Or maybe some imaginative representation of Mother Maggot?
glen

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #86 a dwarf just for Anlan Reply with quote

3rd Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

Of course I've seen an owlbear before! I rescued an owlbear chick in Diamond Lake. Cute little thing it was too. No need to go to the arena then.

I didn't intend to do anything more that night so I bade the others farewell and cosied up with my spellbooks and spell scrolls in the Ogre's Hideout. It was quite relaxing studying the Locate Object spell. I wondered if I would have enough time to write it into my spellbook before the Prince's party.

It seemed that no sooner than I had settled down for some serious spell study that I was interrupted by Jolan, who passed me a bag of gold. 58 gold pieces to be exact. "Taggart paid up", Jolan explained and grinned evilly. There was no fresh blood on Jolan so I assume the man survived. I asked what about the other 2 gp and Jolan pointed to his mouth and imitated drinking: "Finder's Fee" he said.

The discussion somehow turned to what Ragnor and Sheridan were doing in Alhaster, and eventually I realised I should invite Ragnor to the party tomorrow. I guess I can't run it without him, and we will try the Deluxury first.

An impressive tavern/gambling hall/brothel, and we found Ragnor and Sheridan enjoying themselves there. They both had obtained tickets to Prince Zeech's party. When Corvan asked if we could get some tickets, Sheridan introduced us to Armin Horatio, a jolly little man sitting in the corner who was apparently the owner.

Armin Horatio was no fool and it appeared that Sheridan, with the help of Ragnor, had blown our cover. Corvan, Jolan and Tobias revealed their true forms while I suffered in silence as Armin preferred to have interesting discussions with interesting people. I was losing interest in the conversation when a familiar name popped up.

Loris Raknian is in Alhaster! He has been invited to the Prince's Party! Armin said that Loris claims others have blackened his name and he is innocent. Whatever! We were there when Loris triumphantly announced that the Apostle of Kyuss was amongst us! He wanted to sacrifice everything living in Greyhawk to become immortal. He also stole money from me. I know he is a bad man.

The evening ended well with Armin filling out four tickets for our attendance at Prince Zeech's party.

4th Day of Richfest
Free City of Greyhawk

We returned to Greyhawk first thing in the morning. We delivered the corpse of Rhorsk to the Temple of St Cuthbert. They rewarded us with a Staff of Healing, which Tobias took. So far so good.

Corvan, Tobias and I visited the Temple of Pelor. They rewarded us with an excuse that they were still looking for something to reward us with. It must be something pretty good if it is taking so long. I got my usual cheery welcome there. I really don't know why people think my green Robes of Resistance + 5 are so unusual. Corvan and Tobias got to report to the high command. I took the hint, borrowed 2,000 gp from Corvan, and purchased spell scrolls et al from the Academy of Magic. Even there I got laughed at by the guards. I wonder if I could get a Scroll of Baleful Polymorph from somewhere.

I visited the so-called Church of Kord in Greyhawk. What a dump. Still it gave me a few ideas. I'd have to teleport to the northern climes to get a better example of wooden Kord-inspired architecture.

We had arranged to meet at the Temple of Pelor at 3 pm to return to Alhaster. Along the way I picked up a fan.

I didn't notice at first, but there was a dwarf in full plate following me. At first I was worried it might be Drusfan or Pharbol, but it wasn't. The dwarf's name was Ulfgard of the Clan Ungart, and his High Priest of Moradin had instructed him to follow me around. I'm glad to know that high priests of Moradin have nothing better to do than send out dwarves to annoy me.

I made haste to the Temple, hoping to outrun my dwarven shadow, but to no avail. I met Corvan and Tobias in the peaceful surrounds of the Temple and they for some reason were pleased the dwarf had arrived. They also didn't question his suspicious orders. It must be a religious thing.

I insisted that Tobias examine Ulfgard with True Seeing to make sure the dwarf wasn't another doppleganger in disguise. The foolish cleric tried to trick me but I know that True Seeing must be cast on the cleric not on the target! I told Tobias I would tell the Shining One on him for being a bad liar.

Then Churt turned up and an even bigger argument ensued. Suffice to say I had to stop some trident and axe work in the Temple grounds. I eventually convinced Ulfgard to give me 20 gp as entry money, since he had neglected to bring us expensive magic weapons as gifts of welcome. While we were discussing Ulfgard's frightful lack of forethought, an acolyte of St Cuthbert arrived. There was a little confusion to start with as we thought he wanted to join the party as well, but no, he had a message for us to return to the Church of St Cuthbert. I thought that maybe they wanted to give us more magic items.

The Last Will and Testament of Rhorsk had been discovered in their archives, and it revealed some information that Rhorsk clearly wanted known. The Will described the location of an Ebon Triad meeting place, a subterranean room in a house in the southeastern part of the city. I made a copy of the directions, feeling sure we could find the place once we were back in Alhaster!

Ulfgard has never heard of Tenser. Isn't that a shocking indictment of dwarven magic prowess? I shall have to enlighten the dwarf as to how important I am.

4th Day of Richfest

Church of Kord party. I got dressed up (not in green robes). The others got dressed up. Jolan cleaned his armour. Ulfgard took off his helmet. Thanks for the social support guys!

Over 100 people turned up. Merchants, farmers, fisherman. No nobles, no Quemp, no Armin, but two hobgoblins - Knights of the Redhand, obviously spies from the hobgoblin warlord B'Kruss. I was a bit disappointed that none of the Black Nuns turned up.

I just provided the venue and victuals in a Kord-themed gynasium/banquet hall. I thought the Kordites would be up to putting on the entertainment. They look very pretty, all bare-chested and oiled like that. But they forgot about inviting some women and I'm a wizard, not a master of ceremonies. We were down to 60 people before Jolan started beating up the Kordites in showy half-naked wrestles. People got more interested and the night ended with about 80 people having a great time. I had to go to bed at midnight, so I guess I'll hear more tomorrow.

Ulfgard makes a nice bearded iron golem impression (Jolan's words). I wonder if I can use that as a theme next time I throw a party.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Identify what is in the 3 adamantium vials, and how much the vials are worth just for the metal
5th Richfest Check out this new location lead we have
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. Need to get an invitation for Ulfgard. Deal with Loris Raknian
glen

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Letter to beloved Mentor #87 in sickness and in health Reply with quote

5th Day of Richfest

Dearest Allustan

It was another fine day in Alhaster. We awoke reasonably early, full of vim and vigour to pursue a real lead on the Ebon Triad at last! Tobias looked the worst for wear from the partying last night, so we left him to his hangover.

We wandered around Alhaster following the directions from Rhorsk's will. It led to a hospice called Sinner's Sanctum. While we watched the non-descript building, a delivery of restaurant scraps arrived, and they seemed gratefully received by the elderly lady inside. I had an idea.

I walked briskly down the road and purchased a full round of cheese - about 30 lb - for a gold piece. I then asked Corvan to carry it back to the door, and explain in his most persuasive manner, that it was a gift from his master. and try to convince the lady to let us in.

While I was doing this, two priests of Wee Jas arrived, delivering a patient on a stretcher. They left with a stretcher carrying what looked like a shrouded body. It did not bode well for the healing reputation of the Sanctum. Shouldn't they do their deliveries more discreetly around the back?

Corvan did as he was requested, and quickly went in with the cheese. Then he came out and explained only he was allowed back in, and that he would spend some time tending to the sick under the care of Ms Furpotia. I said I would accompany him invisibly and stealthily.

I drank my Elixir of Sneaking and cast Extended Invisibility and entered the dim, unhealthy-smelling Sinner's Sanctum.

My gorge rose as I realised that the squalid little hut had 12 patients in various states of sickness, and none seemed to be on the way to recovery. I examined Furpotia's alchemy lab and was horrified to realise the old bat doesn't know a thing about healing. She uses rancid water instead of boiled or distilled; her pastes seem to be made of random plants mashed together. She is a deluded old biddy at best, and a malicious serial killer at worst. Of all the sad, pathetic degradations of the human spirit in Alhaster, the Sinner's Sanctum affected me the worst. For the want of a dozen Remove Disease spells, twelve otherwise productive people suffer for weeks and maybe die.

Corvan was tending to the patient most recently brought to the hospice, a blond boy scarcely older than us. I was fairly sure the paladin tried Remove Disease on the boy, but he remained unconscious. I took a closer look, and saw grey hairs in his head. Further examination revealed it appeared the boy had been drained of life energy or youth. A dirty little secret of the Scarlet Spire lay pale and unmoving in his narrow cot.

Listening to Furpotia as she and Corvan washed and tended to the ill, I realised that the old woman was both ignorant and stupid, and despair wrapped around me like a cloak.

Corvan told me later he silently Removed Disease on two patients he didn't think would make another week in this hovel. While Corvan distracted Furpotia, I searched the place. I checked under the rug under the kitchen table. There was a small trapdoor there. Rhorsk's 20-year old clue had yielded results!

I whispered in Corvan's ear about my find. He made his farewells to Furpotia, and we left the hospice to find the others. Jolan was not there, but Ulfen was playing with street children. He told us Jolan had walked off to follow some Alhaster guards.

We made haste in Jolan's direction and eventually came close to the Church of Kord. We heard from the guards that the Kordites had been arrested on charges of treason and plotting insurrection against Prince Zeech. Apparently the Kordites had turned my fantastic community education idea of self-defense classes into "defend yourself against those who would oppress you". Corvan made the loud comment that was overheard by spectators: "Lanthis couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery!" We heard in reply, that "it was some weird wizard that was responsible for it all". Everyone in the party looked at me. What?

The Church of Kord received signs of trepass on it like the Church of St Cuthbert, and apparently Prince Zeech would pass justice on the Kordites in three days' time, after his party. We will have time then, at the party to convince Prince Zeech, that a magnanimous ruler is a mighty ruler.

While returning to the Sinner's Sanctum, we made a quick plan to gain access to the trapdoor with minimum of fuss and damage to Furpotia and her property. I cast Disguise Self on Ulfen and myself. Ulfen and the others disguised themselves as Alhaster guards. I disguised myself as an anonymous Alhaster official. I banged on the door in the company of Corvan while Jolan and Ulfen slipped through the back gate (the back of the property helpfully scouted by Ulfen while playing with the street children).

When Furpotia opened the door Corvan pushed through and I lied, saying she was under arrest for quackery. Unfortunately Corvan wasn't quick enough to keep her quiet, and the scuffling attracted some attention. Jolan finally rendered the mad woman unconscious but I had to use Jolan to scare off a nosy parker. The two cured patients I told to get lost, and they were happy to become so.

We opened up the trapdoor. It was at least 60' down in the dark, so Jolan threw down a sunrod. It was 100' drop into a well-built, brick lined tunnel. I cast Extended Fly on myself and Ulfen, while Corvan used his Flying Carpet and Jolan his Ring of Feather Fall to descend into the depths.

Jolan went first and was immediately attacked by some sort of Rope Golem at the bottom. He struck it with a vial of Alchemist's Fire. As I descended, I cast Maximised Empowered Scorching Ray but the golem appears immune to magical fire. Jolan seems to enjoy grappling with the large guardian. I hope the others can deal with this creature quickly.

Your devoted student

Anlan Evant

Get Tobias in to cure the rest of the sick in Sinner's Sanctum
7th Richfest Prince Zeech's Party. Need to get an invitation for Ulfgard. Deal with Loris Raknian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> BGNZ Age of Worms All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: