NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Goal of a new system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highwayman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: The Goal of a new system Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

[Background about Grant]
I've thought about game design a little, not as much as many folks here, and have mostly confined myself to tinkering with existing systems.

I can see that there is an attraction in designing a new system from the ground up, but I am also lazy. To me I would need to find big fundamental holes with the nearest system to design a new one. Or even just little holes that can't really be fixed due to the fact that they underlie everthing. I mean it would take more than the "Difficulty 7 debate" from Shadowrun to overhaul a rules system.

[Actual Question]
So, I guess the real question that I'm asking, when designing a new game, is it mostly because there is a need identified? (like wanting a game that mimics modern cattle rustling to a high degree), or is it more like questing for the perfect rules to bracket a theme, kinda similar to what was attempted with Deadlands (with the cards and poker chips and all)?

Or am I completely off base with what folks are thinking about?

Cheers
Grant
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youa re stangely on topic grant. as for your quesiton we covered the basics of game design a little and then what we hoped to acheive for the post part of the session.

It was a lot of fun

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
MikeSands

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Goal of a new system Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:

So, I guess the real question that I'm asking, when designing a new game, is it mostly because there is a need identified? (like wanting a game that mimics modern cattle rustling to a high degree), or is it more like questing for the perfect rules to bracket a theme, kinda similar to what was attempted with Deadlands (with the cards and poker chips and all)?

Or am I completely off base with what folks are thinking about?

You're exactly on target, I think.

For me, it's both those things.

Edit: Oh yeah, I should say that I don't think anyone is going to mind discussing tinkering with existing systems either. It's all good stuff. Likewise, Flamebunny sat in on the discussion talking about scenario design for existing systems last night, which led to some interesting conversation. So that's on topic too.
yokuto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon also that it has to do with what materials and resources you have at the time. admitdly the deadlands thing is pretty cool but it can be a real damper if you dont have all of the materials at your disposal.

I dont actually believe in the existence of a perfect system, based on a principle that I learnt in analytical chemistry.
"the system will be too true to be any good, or the system will be too good to be true" a so called perfect sysm would exist somewhere between with personal prefference shifting it between simplicity and accuracy.

This is where I think the point of thinking that we can do a better job is more realistic. since all we are doing when we build our systems fom the ground up is changing where we as gamers and designers would prefer our games to be on the simplicity, accuracy continuium.

my 2 cents
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Game Designer's Cabal All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: