NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a bye in the local tournament

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Systematic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Getting a bye in the local tournament Reply with quote

I had my first MonPoc tournament today at WGS and had a reallly awesome time, playing against 3 great opponents and managing to come 4th.

We had an odd number of players so we had a bye, this was decided randomly. I've checked out the tournament organisers pack for MonPoc and it says swiss chess should be used to decide pairings each round. In swiss chess the bottom player always gets the bye. I think the reason for this is that randomly doing it can screw the placings too much with the higher ranking players like it did today where the top player going in to the last round randomly got the bye, so a free win, and had won the tournament before the 3rd and final round had even been played.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to move to giving the bye to the bottom placed player each round (random for the first round of course though)?

Thanks
Chris
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly see a problem with it.

this way we don't punish the player who is coming last and make them not play

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Systematic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that is true the purpose of it being the last player is to prevent odd things happening at the top. Swiss chess is designed so that at the end of X rounds (decided by the number of players) there are almost always only two players who are undefeated so they will play the last round against each other to decide who wins. If you're randomly deciding the player each round you're not actually using swiss chess because you're removing the match-ups that should be played.

Also, I would have thought if thats how PP want the official tournaments run they would have to be run that way?

Sorry If I sound like I'm ranting but after playing in and running wargaming tournaments for 10 odd years I've come across most of the pitfalls and this is one of them.

Chris
Rue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have double checked the Tournament Rules that I have, & it does state that a random player is given a bye if there is an odd number of players.

If enough people wish to change it we can, but I do not see much of a problem with it myself.

I think coming last is enough of a bother without being denied a game.
Systematic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I read it says to use swiss chess?
Rue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble sent me a copy of the rules, & that was what I was going off of, that & what we had been doing from the beginning.

I re-read them before the tournament, & checked again during.

Even has the official looking letter head & everything.
gribble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to clear up the confusion:

1) The rules we use (with the "official" letterhead) were put together by me, so they aren't from PP.

2) As far as I'm aware, there aren't any official Monsterpocalypse tournament rules available (which is why I put what we use together). I know PP are working on some, but they haven't been finalised/released yet. Which document are you referring to that you've seen Chris?

3) If people agree, I'm happy to switch to the more normal Bye determination. I disagree that always giving it to the lowest placed player is a good idea though, especially when there are prizes for 2nd/3rd place. Doing so can much things up for the other placings just as much (imagine if the lowest placed player got 2 byes, and ended up in second or third place without winning any games)?

What does everyone else think?
Scurvy_Platypus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the people usually fighting for last place, I don't have any problems with it being a random thing like it is now.

I think any system that pops up, somebody is going to be able to argue for how it screws someone. *shrug* That being the case, might as well stick with what we're used to doing, unless/until it's changed for some "official" reason.
gribble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask people about this last weekend. Unless anyone has a strong objection, we'll try out Chris' suggestion about always giving the bye to the lowest placed player after the first round at the next event (the AYB launch event on Aug 1st).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Monsterpocalypse All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: