NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPGA games at Kapcon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menolly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Last time there was some confusion about "the other gamers" and who was organising it. I'm willing to stick up my hand now and make sure it happens for 2010, unless someone else already has....
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:
Last time there was some confusion about "the other gamers" and who was organising it. I'm willing to stick up my hand now and make sure it happens for 2010, unless someone else already has....

Congratulations - you're it! You now have 5 months.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:

I don't want to stop anything from doing anything, but why are you bothering? Why not step out of isolation and mix it up with the rest of us? Why not invite the rest of us into your world, instead of hiding in there like we're zombies out for your brains?

If you want to run/play D&D at KapCon, why not just offer it in stream with everyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I don't want to stop anything from doing anything, but why are you bothering? Why not step out of isolation and mix it up with the rest of us? Why not invite the rest of us into your world, instead of hiding in there like we're zombies out for your brains?

If you want to run/play D&D at KapCon, why not just offer it in stream with everyone else?

Originally the reason was session length - KapCon timetables in 3 hour blocks, but most RPGA scenarios are written for the US 4-hour standard. An attempt to switch the con to a 4-hour timetable to allow greater integration was generally considered unsuccessful.

If this has changed, then we are happy to timetable RPGA games in normal time slots. Otherwise, we're happy to accomodate them with the present arrangements. Either way, we will try and make more noise about the RPGA games, since people might be interested in trying out the new edition of D&D.

(Oh, and we're always happy to eat brains)
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Originally the reason was session length - KapCon timetables in 3 hour blocks, but most RPGA scenarios are written for the US 4-hour standard. An attempt to switch the con to a 4-hour timetable to allow greater integration was generally considered unsuccessful.

FWIW 4e is even easier to tailor to 3 hours than 3e was. The adventures are broken into discrete encounters and each should be 1 hour in length. It would be simple to rip out 1 encounter and patch the story appropriately.

I have been tempted to run Village of Hommlet at Kapcon, if it is sent to me Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I have been tempted to run Village of Hommlet at Kapcon, if it is sent to me Smile

Verily, I bind you to your oath.

(Damn infectious larp mechanics. But yes, we'd love to see it - and the earlier you sign up to run it, the better Smile
duck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Hm. Which weekend in January is Kapcon again?
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

duck wrote:
Hm. Which weekend in January is Kapcon again?

The 23rd and 24th.
Menolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

As Idiot mentioned it's partially the timing aspect, and the "not sure which games people have already played" aspect.

Timing, games are 4 hours ish... with some games running over to 5 or 6 hours depending on how the players react to a game... the games run as long or short as they need to, rather than "must stop here so people can go play next game". The games are pre-written, so we can't chop and change them otherwise they then aren't RPGA games. And to have the games sanctioned by Wizards of the Coast, and for Kapcon to get that support from WotC, then the games must be run as is...

The "which games" aspect is we bring along 10 to 15 games, and then work out who has and hasn't played in what games, and at what level and organise groups that way. We could pick 1 game to advertise in a particular slot... but if all the players who turn up have already played in it, it won't fill.

Don't worry, the guys who turn up to play RPGA are happy to hide in a room and munch with Dnd all weekend...

However in saying that I'll talk to the guys when I see the Auckland folks next and see if there is anything we can do to meet half way... maybe have 1 of the GM's run a specific game in the first slot... and try and find a game that has proven to run as a short game... I'll see what I can sort out and I'll post here with updates.

For me, Kapcon is mostly the only gaming event I'm not actually heavily involved in the organising, where I get to play... which means I can spend all weekend filling my gaming playing need quota which I love. It's the one time I can play my little RPGA character (she only ever gets played at Kapcon, and sometimes on the Sat evening of BattleCry each year and that's all) and not have to be involved elsewhere... or GMing... or sorting out all the other stuff that events need doing. So I really look forward to Kapcon every year just for that, and catching up with all the people I haven't seen for yonks...

Mashugenah wrote:

Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:

Don't worry, the guys who turn up to play RPGA are happy to hide in a room and munch with Dnd all weekend...

That is my exact problem with the RPGA. Why don't you guys just save yourself $20 each and do your games at someone's house?

(Just note that I have absolutely nothing to do with the running of KapCon and express a view wholly my own.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
That is my exact problem with the RPGA. Why don't you guys just save yourself $20 each and do your games at someone's house?

Why don't we all?

Not everyone seeks variety in gaming. Some are quite comfortable with the systems they play, or the people they play with. In other words, some people are gaming monogomists. But there's no reason they can't come to our orgy, and its not like they're spoiling anyone else's fun.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Liminal space? It feels more like an Event? I have no problem with RPGA - they say Hi and let me watch their games, and sometimes come out and boardgame with the rest of us Kapconers. Kapconites? Kapconians?
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:

Why don't we all?

If I could get 7 sets of different gamers to arrive at my house with roleplaying material at set times... I might very well consider it. Why not?

But that's just totally unrealistic - whereas sitting in a room with the same 6 guys for a weekend is feasible, and I do that in addition to KapCon. If the RPGA played their D&D games, I dunno, the weekend before; then they could come to KapCon and see what life is like outside the cave.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
If the RPGA played their D&D games, I dunno, the weekend before; then they could come to KapCon and see what life is like outside the cave.

Why do you think that the RPGA groups are somehow not part of Kapcon? I get that their slots mean they don't get to socialize quite as much with people on the 3-hour slots, but they're still part of the same event.

I'm getting a strong vibe from you that the RPGA games are not a valid choice at Kapcon. Personally, I like the fact that Kapcon has all sorts of different games for everyone.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just genuinely do not understand why they bother to come to KapCon. I really can't see what they contribute to the con at large, and I can't see what benefits they derive from being at the con.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: