NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPGA games at Kapcon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's safe to say that getting to play some games is why people come to Kapcon.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I just genuinely do not understand why they bother to come to KapCon. I really can't see what they contribute to the con at large, and I can't see what benefits they derive from being at the con.
They contribute their entry fees. They also contribute by making available tournament style roleplaying to people who may have heard of RPGA but are a bit shy of inviting themselves to a house full of strangers for a tryout.

It's actually, really OK to not get why someone thinks something is fun, and let them get on with doing it anyway.
duck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
then they could come to KapCon and see what life is like outside the cave.

Um, "outside the cave"? Taken out of context, that comes across a little harsh don't you think? (I'm not even sure I am reading it correctly in context as 'out of cave' == playing in the general area at Kapcon?)
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
It's actually, really OK to not get why someone thinks something is fun, and let them get on with doing it anyway.

Yeah, thanks for that glib aphorism, I feel enlightened.

Quote:
Taken out of context, that comes across a little harsh don't you think?

Perhaps. But I wouldn't have thought any harsher than my earlier remark about fear of having their brains eaten by the regular attendees..

As much as anything, I'm frustrated because I remember a time when the RPGA weren't their own little seperate thing inside KapCon, but ran games that were available to all attendees. I used to play most of the D&D that was on offer at KapCon - fuck: I used to run RPGA scenarios.

I don't like any group setting themselves up as isolated element - in case you think I'm being unfair and picking on the poor little RPGA, scroll back through the archives and you'll see me arguing that GoD people should also play "regular" con scenarios, and that the main-event LARP shouldn't be protected from competition (that there should be an official fourth round on Saturday)... the only sub-group of people I don't advocate mixing it up are the dedicated boardgamers, because as far as I'm aware, that's only Gynn and I'm not invested in what he does with his life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:
Timing, games are 4 hours ish... with some games running over to 5 or 6 hours depending on how the players react to a game...

Historically, these used to be catered for by getting players to book two rounds to a game. I've run AD&D RPGA scenarios done that way, so have many of the other real Old Timers. Zak even ran a V:TM game thattook two rounds a couple of years ago.

Longer games have also often been shunted into round 3 on Day 1. George ran an epic 5-hour SF game one year specifically pitched into that session. I wrote a Deadlands scenario with that intent last year (though it didn't fill).

So "our games take longer" sounds like something you could work around if you were interested in having anyone outside the regulars be able to play.

Quote:
The games are pre-written, so we can't chop and change them otherwise they then aren't RPGA games.

And? Is there some wider flow-on effect of that that I'm unaware of?

Quote:
And to have the games sanctioned by Wizards of the Coast, and for Kapcon to get that support from WotC, then the games must be run as is...

I really don't think at this stage that KapCon is too dependant on that support.

Quote:
However in saying that I'll talk to the guys when I see the Auckland folks next and see if there is anything we can do to meet half way... maybe have 1 of the GM's run a specific game in the first slot... and try and find a game that has proven to run as a short game... I'll see what I can sort out and I'll post here with updates.

That sounds absolutely fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Luke wrote:
I have been tempted to run Village of Hommlet at Kapcon, if it is sent to me Smile

Verily, I bind you to your oath.

No promises as it depends entirely on the esoteric organisation that is the RPGA to send me the adventure promised Smile
morgue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

No promises as it depends entirely on the esoteric organisation that is the RPGA to send me the adventure promised Smile

I got mine yesterday.

THEY CHANGED THE SIZE OF THE MOATHOUSE GYGAX IS TURNING IN HIS GRAVE THOSE 4E PEOPLE RUIN EVERYTHING

I actually thought it was really very good.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
But that's just totally unrealistic - whereas sitting in a room with the same 6 guys for a weekend is feasible, and I do that in addition to KapCon. If the RPGA played their D&D games, I dunno, the weekend before; then they could come to KapCon and see what life is like outside the cave.

They could indeed. But that's up to them, and we're not in the habit of trying to inflict our gaming choices on people.

I should however note that the usual RPGA players come from all over New Zealand (and some even from Australia), and so enjoy the same social benefits of con attendance as any other KapConite: reconnecting and gaming with old friends.

Mashugenah wrote:
I really can't see what they contribute to the con at large, and I can't see what benefits they derive from being at the con.

As Steph has pointed out, KapCon gets entry fees and the ability to say that we offer RPGA tournament-style games without the hassle of actually having to organise it ourselves (and for me, that's a big bonus). The RPGA has also put up prizes, which is very generous of them. As for the benefits, the same as anyone else gets from going to a con: meet some people, play some games, with the added bonus that the XP they earn for their ongoing characters is "official".

And I'll second Steph's comment. I haven't played D&D for years, but I don't like Werewolf that much either, and Deadlands leaves me cold. But whatever floats your boat. KapCon's paradigm is to "let the market decide". Some people want to run D&D. Some people want to play D&D. We see no reason at all to stand in the way of their fun. To the contrary, our job is to enable it.
hix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make an effort to introduce myself to people playing in the RPGA stream this year. The out-of-sync schedules make this a little more difficult, but one of the things I like best about Kapcon is meeting new people ... so I'll do my best to make this happen.

(Also, I've nearly had a blast both times I've played 4E this year, so I'm keen to give it another go.)

Something occured to me. Just curious: Is it possible to break up the 4 hour rounds or do they have to be played in one continuous 4 hour block? Like, can RPGA games take a break for an hour during lunch or dinner? I have no idea whether that's possible by RPGA's rules.

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Menolly wrote:
The games are pre-written, so we can't chop and change them otherwise they then aren't RPGA games.

And? Is there some wider flow-on effect of that that I'm unaware of?

No campaign XP?

Remember, RPGA games form part of an ongoing campaign played out at conventions acros the world. That's one of the attractions to this style of play.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
Luke wrote:

I got mine yesterday.

THEY CHANGED THE SIZE OF THE MOATHOUSE GYGAX IS TURNING IN HIS GRAVE THOSE 4E PEOPLE RUIN EVERYTHING

Will check my PO Box Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
As much as anything, I'm frustrated because I remember a time when the RPGA weren't their own little seperate thing inside KapCon, but ran games that were available to all attendees. I used to play most of the D&D that was on offer at KapCon - fuck: I used to run RPGA scenarios.

Yes - that was when the RPGA used to run the con. But that was twelve years ago, and ended when Dan took over. It was also before the rise of the "living" campaigns, which I think makes a significant difference.

As for "isolated elements", we can not force people to associate with one another, even if we wanted to. If some of the market decides that they've found their perfect game which makes them happy, then its not our business to interfere.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Menolly wrote:
And to have the games sanctioned by Wizards of the Coast, and for Kapcon to get that support from WotC, then the games must be run as is...

I really don't think at this stage that KapCon is too dependant on that support.

Nope - but we do welcome it, and the players it brings.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
morgue wrote:
Luke wrote:

I got mine yesterday.

Will check my PO Box Smile

And its there Smile

Awesome. Off to brainstorm how it could be run at Kapcon Smile
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
As for "isolated elements", we can not force people to associate with one another, even if we wanted to. If some of the market decides that they've found their perfect game which makes them happy, then its not our business to interfere.

I am not suggesting that we force anyone to do anything - I'm largely here talking about breaking down barriers that prevent people from doing what they want.

I know people who have been interested in trying out the RPGA stuff, but effectively been blocked by the timetabling issue, and by their "living campaign" experience system (and you were there for the AAR discussion). And I know at least one con-goer who found themselves stuck in the RPGA room because they hadn't known about the timing problems.

So, don't paint me here as some villainous despot trying to destroy the RPGA. I'm someone asking questions and challenging whether the status quo is what's best for anyone - them and us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: