NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPGA games at Kapcon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
So, don't paint me here as some villainous despot trying to destroy the RPGA. I'm someone asking questions and challenging whether the status quo is what's best for anyone - them and us.
I think you've answered your own question. If your goal is to make it easier for mainstream Kapcon attendees to try out RPGA games, then coordinate with the RPGA stream to run games in certain timeslots that are known to have a short run time and flag these on the timetable. For longer games, flag on the timetable that mainstream attendees should book out two rounds, or put them in the third round of the day, or both.

Quote:
I am not suggesting that we force anyone to do anything - I'm largely here talking about breaking down barriers that prevent people from doing what they want.
With respect, strongly suggesting that people 'come out of their cave' is a value laden statement that has nothing to do with letting people do what they want.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I know people who have been interested in trying out the RPGA stuff, but effectively been blocked by the timetabling issue, and by their "living campaign" experience system (and you were there for the AAR discussion). And I know at least one con-goer who found themselves stuck in the RPGA room because they hadn't known about the timing problems.

The "living campaign" system is not something we can do anything about - its fundamental to their games. Clearly though we can work on timetabling, and on providing more information about game length to make it easier for people to drop in for a session.
housemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapconite
Chemical element with a natural atomic weight of 20, it is generally pale, often tasteless but unfortunately not odorless, forming around groups of role-players.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be tasteless for me to butt in and say that I prefer 4hour games in general?

Don't get me wrong, it's fun playing 3hour scenarios, but I feel quite constrained when running scenarios designed to fit into them.

This has come up a couple of times, and I'm in a very small minority, but there you have it, there are non RPGAers who like the longer timeslots too.

And no, I haven't come up with a good way to schedule the weekend to allow 4hour games. It's not an easy problem.

Cheers
Grant
Adrexia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:

And no, I haven't come up with a good way to schedule the weekend to allow 4hour games. It's not an easy problem.

Start earlier in the morning, have smaller breaks, and wrap up later? Wink

Both Dunedin and Christchurch have 4 hour sessions at their cons, but for them it means only fitting in 2 sessions a day + Larp/Grand strat/whatever. I prefer the 3 hour sessions because I can skip a session here and there to sleep-in/boardgame and still manage to play in a reasonable number of games. Plus I'm not so good at staying seated for a whole 4 hour period... 3 hours is hard enough. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
Would it be tasteless for me to butt in and say that I prefer 4hour games in general?

No. However, the real choice is 6 3 hour games or 4 4 hour games. The extra hour on the whole is difficulty to justify at the loss of 2 games.

As someone else said, if you can bring the awesome in 4 hours, you should be able to do it in 3 hours. If you can't, then 3 hours is better anyway.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
No. However, the real choice is 6 3 hour games or 4 4 hour games. The extra hour on the whole is difficulty to justify at the loss of 2 games.

A split-type timetable like Sophie used at DoG con could work around this, but it would be a slight pain to organize.

Basically you have 4*3-hour slots on Saturday, which is roughly what we have now.

900-1200 & 900-1300
1230-1530
1600-1900 & 1600-2000
2030-2330 (LARP & unofficial 4th round games)

Or something like that.

Quote:
As someone else said, if you can bring the awesome in 4 hours, you should be able to do it in 3 hours. If you can't, then 3 hours is better anyway.

Hmm... really not sure that's actually true. I've "brought the awesome" in 1-hour Zombie games, but I really couldn't do that for more mechanics or concept heavy games. Death on the Streets really struggled to fit into 3 hours, but had been pretty good for the 4-hour over-run. Smile It's why it wasn't offered at KapCon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
A split-type timetable like Sophie used at DoG con could work around this, but it would be a slight pain to organize.

Basically you have 4*3-hour slots on Saturday, which is roughly what we have now.

900-1200 & 900-1300
1230-1530
1600-1900 & 1600-2000
2030-2330 (LARP & unofficial 4th round games)

Or something like that.

Just to shut this down now: we've looked at shorter breaks in the past, and come to the conclusion that they are a bad idea. You may be able to live on air, be able to change costumes in a single bound, have infinite bladder capacity, and have no friends you wish to talk to over the weekend. The rest of the con does not share these virtues. We have to cater for actual human beings, not SuperGamers.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: RPGA games at Kapcon Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Awesome. Off to brainstorm how it could be run at Kapcon Smile

Brainstorming mostly done and the prospect looks doable.

I just need to discuss timetabling with the powers that be*.

* my wife and Kapcon organisers.
LintMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supergamers? Where I come from we have 24hour straight endurance roleplaying. Sometimes you have 12 people in one game and just rotate players who are awake at the time.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, would people be interested in a Grand Strategy game at KapCon? I've loved them when I've been in them in Christchurch, is there interest up here?

Cheers
Grant
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot
Quote:
Yes - that was when the RPGA used to run the con. But that was twelve years ago, and ended when Dan took over. It was also before the rise of the "living" campaigns, which I think makes a significant difference.

A suppose a bit of a point of order, this is not quite true. The RPGA was "officially" running KapCon in my first KapCon (down in Willis Street Hotel), and I even gave out RPGA memberships at the end of that 'con.

On the scheduling issue with the RPGA, I do remember it being a bit of a headache to accomodate, as Stephanie states, RPGA sanctioned games are not run to a schedule themselves - often being written for the 4 hour market (although not exclusively so, some were longer), and the difficult that I have seen is the fact that in order to give the players (of RPGA games) justice to their characters, justice for playing the game (and the XP or prestige rewards), RPGA GMs need to finish the session according to how it is written in the source - irrespective of the time.

So, with Kapcon's (almost) strict 3 hour schedule, and the RPGA games with the above considerations do not have the synergies that are easily solved with a simple "let them find their own space ie not kapcon" or a rescheduling of the KapCon format to accomodate them. (Unless of course you decide to make KapCon something in line with the 4 hour + extra format that you see in American 'cons)...
Adrexia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
On another note, would people be interested in a Grand Strategy game at KapCon? I've loved them when I've been in them in Christchurch, is there interest up here?

Cheers
Grant

I've heard rumours that Dillon is thinking of running a grand strategy at Turnbell house on the Friday night...

The grand strategy was my favourite thing about my first roleplaying convention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Menolly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After conversing with some of the RPGA folks up here... there will be the usual (take longer than 3 hrs) RPGA 4th Ed games, 1 or 2 of us will try to find and run some 3 hr RPGA games within the usual time slots... and some of the guys will be running some Pathfinder modules as well. Paizo have a player programme abit like RPGA but using the Pathfinder system. No idea about timing for those games but if anyone is particularly interested in Pathfinder, let me know so I can pass relevant info back and forth...
icehawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

Just to shut this down now: we've looked at shorter breaks in the past, and come to the conclusion that they are a bad idea. You may be able to live on air, be able to change costumes in a single bound, have infinite bladder capacity, and have no friends you wish to talk to over the weekend. The rest of the con does not share these virtues. We have to cater for actual human beings, not SuperGamers.

Lack of phone booths. That's your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: