NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chimera 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Chimera 2010 Reply with quote

August 27 - 29, 2010
Motu Moana Scout Camp, Connought Rd, Green Bay, Auckland
More larp than you can shake a (foam-covered) stick at.

I'll be going, and probably running something.

Vague details here.
Anna K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimera 2010 - The Basics
Chimera 2010 will be held at Motu Moana Scout Camp in Blockhouse Bay, Auckland. It will run from Friday 27th August to Sunday 29th August. Costs are still to be established but are likely to be the same as last year. Accommodation will again be available, there will be 56 beds available at the venue. Accommodation is free of charge but priority will be given for those coming from out of Auckland.

Chimera 2010 - Call for Games
We need you to run games at Chimera! Please get in touch with me via PM or via silver.owl@gmail.com to discuss your idea. Chimera's goal is the kind of event where a newbie can pretty much walk in off the street and start playing. In addition, we have a LOT of games crammed into a weekend, so simplicity and preparedness are our watchwords.

The criteria for our games are as follows:
* Characters must be prewritten, and mechanics must be reasonably simple.
* The game must take no more than three hours to run, including set up time, briefings and debriefings. That is to say, if you're in the 10am-1pm slot, you've only got those three hours.
* One-off games are strongly preferred. Campaign games are invitation only. Campaign games that are invited are asked to write "stand alone" type games, to be easily accesible by newbies and out-of-towners.
* Your game must be completed by August 8th so we can be sure to have a ready game on the day of the convention.
* Reruns and overseas published games are welcome.
* Games should have between 12 and 25 participants, including GMs and any 'crew'.
* Timeslot and game space to be decided by Anna and the GM Liaison in conjunction with game writers.

Chimera 2010 - The Flagship: A Town Called Refuge
This year's flagship larp is titled "A Town Called Refuge" and is being written by Ivan Essin, Prema Cottingham, Hamish Meads, Cameron Burns, Joel Williams and Daphne Cohen.

The War
The American Civil War has just reached the end of its bloody conflict, but tensions are still high between the victorious North and the defeated South, and disorder rules the town known as Refuge. Once a well known safe haven for anyone on the run from the law but with Californiaís integration into America, Refuge and its outlaw inhabitants find themselves in territory that is no longer neutral.

The Law
Now the lawbringers have moved in, trying to impose order to a town built on chaos, and the gangs that rule the town are bristling at the bit to protect what's theirs from the law, and from the upstart new gang that's muscling in. The Sheriff and his brothers are the toughest cowboy family around and they ainít no pushovers.

The Goldrush
Gold has put this tiny town on the map, the newly discovered wealth in the hills has drawn the attention of the railroad companies and investors with an intention to clean up the town for the gold diggers, and sell her to the highest bidder.

The Women
The women of Refuge donít take kindly to all this upheaval, have banded together and picked up their guns, and looks like the saloon ainít the only place for women these days. Some still cling to the protection of the old gangs though, change wonít be all that easy for the Banditas.

The Showdown
The Saloon, owned by the founding outlaws of Refuge, is hosting this year's 4th of July celebrations. An army General is here especially for the celebration, said to be hunting the local tribe Injin raiders. This is the event where the bets are, things are going to come to a showdown.

A Town Called Refuge is a straight up classic western game packed with unique characters based on old favourites for 85 people. Gunslingers, sassy saloon girls, investors, pioneers, crims, lawbringers, cowboys and Indians, a town called Refuge's standoff will be coming to a charged high noon showdown at Chimera 2010.
aucontraire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is inconvenient timing 8(
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aucontraire wrote:
That is inconvenient timing 8(

I don't think the larpers consider SF cons to be competing events to be avoided. The potential overlap between the attendance pools is quite small.
Anna K

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do tend to keep an eye out for the annual big sci-fi con since we've mused about trying to get involved for years.

The clash is unfortunate but Iwas under the impression that the national SF convention is usually in June (Queen's Birthday weekend?) which doesn't normally clash with any of our events since we try to avoid weekend larps in June.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's traditionally Easter or Queen's Birthday. Switches around depending on what's convenient for the group running it.
aucontraire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year it's set to tie in with the WorldCon which is happening in Melbourne - quite a few international travellers will be attending both. The date was set back in March 2008. Maybe next year more can be done to link up? I find it hard to believe that most LARPers have no wider interest in SF or fantasy at all, and the crowds should certainly be socially compatible. The NatCon is unlikely to be so late in the year again any time soon (unless Chimera wanted to expand its focus a bit and put in a bid! Cool
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay after the fun I had last year I am going again. And I have even offered to run a game (please don't let that put you off).

So like last year I am looking to book my flights early, right now I can get flights for $69 up there and $59 back. Last year we found it easier to get the same flight and share a shuttle (and develop our tactics for invading Auckland). So if you are interested in going this year, can you let me know, even if you don't want to commit 100% yet.
Anna K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, do come along, it'll be fantastic! We're working hard on the preparations and hope to have the website online in the next few weeks to show off all the games we're running Very Happy

To help tempt out of towners: Free accommodation on site Very Happy
Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Okay after the fun I had last year I am going again. And I have even offered to run a game (please don't let that put you off).

So like last year I am looking to book my flights early, right now I can get flights for $69 up there and $59 back. Last year we found it easier to get the same flight and share a shuttle (and develop our tactics for invading Auckland). So if you are interested in going this year, can you let me know, even if you don't want to commit 100% yet.
Yes, I'm coming. Already have the game I'm running planned. Smile
Would you book me a ticket at the same time you do yours?
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

Cheap flights should last for the next few months at least, and there may be a special in the intervening time that I wouldn't want to miss. But we're in.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And OTOH, there are already no cheap seats available on the normal evening flights up, dammit. And its six months out. WTF?

NZ0446 (leaves at 15:00, gets in at 16:00) looks good for the trip up, NZ0467 or 475 (18:30 or 19:00) for the trip back.
Anna K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Zealand Live Action Roleplaying Society is pleased to announce that the third annual CHIMERA larp convention is now receiving registrations!

Check out our website and sign up for the event at: http://chimera.nzlarps.org

Game Selection and A Town Called Refuge questionnaire will be going live on May 31st.

Browse our website to find out all the who, what, where and when. We're still adding to our games line up, so check back in the next few weeks to see more game details go up.

Most importantly, tell all your friends!
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, flights for the Wellington expedition are:

27th: NZ0446. Leaves Wgtn 15:00, arrives Auckland 16:00. Seats for $69.
29th: NZ0475: Leaves Auckland 19:30, arrives Wgtn 20:30, Seats for $59.

This will mean we have a couple of hours to kill on Friday evening before things start, which means we can help with setup and (more importantly) get food. We may have to bail a bit early on the final closing stuff on Sunday, since it can take an hour to get across town and check-in is half an hour before departure, but there are no later flights.
Anna K

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates

Details of two new games have gone up on the website:

Nexus: Gathering at Foxlight - a standalone story from the monthly White Wolf Mage campaign.
Truth, Justice and Spandex - a superhero comedy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Upcoming Cons All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: