NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cthulhu in Karori, Wellington
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Cthulhu in Karori, Wellington Reply with quote

I am planning to run a Cthulhu game at my place fortnightly in Karori if I can get anyone interested. Please message me here or send me a pm if you want to try it out!!

I'm looking at running a number of smaller one-offs or a bit of Delta Green depending on what people want.
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time next month I'll be up for it Cool , although I'll likely be transport challenged until mid-next year.
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were abouts will you be?
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadestown most likely.
Liam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats pretty close, I'm sure we can work something out.
Liam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have two players....could do with some more, anyone else thinking about it?

Liam
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fright Night would be a good place to find players keen for horror gaming. Perhaps you should come along to that? Smile

www.frightnight.rpg.net.nz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
glennb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liam,

I'd be keen for a bit of cthulu, will be at fright night as well if you want to chat there

glenn
Smile
Liam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be there too so sound good. Three people is more than enough to get things rolling so just got to wait for Dale to show up in town. Might find another player or two at fright night as well.

Liam
happyfunball

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Insanity Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to Wellington and looking for some RPG action. I've played a few different RPGs over the years, but never Cthulu. I'm a big fan of Lovecraft and I'd love to try it if you'd like another player.
Dale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Liam, are we at critical mass yet? Are we finally ready to venture into the abyss of eldritch horror? I'm Wellie-side in the next week or so.

It might also be worth discussing what style of Cthulhu you're going for. A recent expereince made me realise there is a pretty stark difference between character driven horror, vs pulp-action as both types require the players to take different approaches to character.
Liam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
So Liam, are we at critical mass yet? Are we finally ready to venture into the abyss of eldritch horror? I'm Wellie-side in the next week or so.

It might also be worth discussing what style of Cthulhu you're going for. A recent expereince made me realise there is a pretty stark difference between character driven horror, vs pulp-action as both types require the players to take different approaches to character.

We are. I have two players from my previous games, plus two more players who are keen. With you and me that makes six which is a nice size. Marcus was also expressing some interest at fright night, if he gets in from Paraparaumu, but he also seems to be a bit busy right now.

I have been tossing a few ideas around. Two ideas I had were either running a serious of delta green games or running some shorter adventures maybe with a rotating GM type setup rather than trying for a big campaign based game, perhaps something out of Mansions of Madness or similar. It is a bit tough to get people together regularly so I find the shorter games seem to work a bit better for this type of group.

I think I probably enjoy the character based horror a bit more as a player but I get the feeling a few players may be more keen to get into the pulpy side of things. I also like to mix it up a bit but am probably better as a GM at runnning pulp as I have not had that much experience with the character based horror side as a GM and am still in the process of developing these skills.

Ideally we get together on Monday 16th Nov, then fortnightly from there and I can either run it here or I also have an offer of playing at a player's apartment in town.

Liam
Dale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious Delta Green gets around issues neatly, in that the levers for investigation and preparation are an established part of the setting (hopefully you are thinking of something home-brewed or from Eyes-Only?).

I would say that the pulp vs horror thing should really be a question for the entire group, as even one player coming at this the wrong way can cause tensions. If we're on the same page from the get-go it's unlikely to go too badly wrong. An obligation free one-off or two might be a good way for us to get to know each other, and be in a position to answer this question.

I recently played Death in Luxor and it really brought this stuff into a sharp focus for me.

Quote:
I think I probably enjoy the character based horror a bit more as a player

See, the other trick here is that the plot has to work for the characters. Often the plot (in published scenarios) requires characters to take some zany actions, like break into a house, or hold a ritual from an unspeakable tome (don't even get me started on the Luxor solution) - but this is fairly unrealistic for many characters - why don't they just call the police? Or hire someone else to do the investigation? Or flee?

So either the GM has to do some very rapid thinking and tailor the scenario to the players (the plot comes to them) or needs to be explicit about the unrealistic nature of the scenario from the get-go so all the players can factor this into character decisions. IMHO true character-driven horror needs strong character development time in and around a scenario.

Obviously I'm happy to offer to run a game or two if you decide on the rotating policy. Mansions is a good start, I ran the classic Sanitorium for my group here as an introductory adventure and it made a strong impression.

Finally, a game in town, at least to start with, would be a good option for me.
Liam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
I ran Sanitorium for my group here as an introductory adventure and it made a strong impression

Cool scenario, I played that with my last group and had a lot of fun.

Ref delta green I was actually thinking of doing something different like a NZ delta green (which I could add a bit of flavour to knowing a little about the internals of NZ govt, military etc). I have all three books but have yet to go through them so could do some eyes only stuff if there is some good stuff in there.

Would also love to run Bad Moon Rising if I get the chance too, need to get a copy of Great Old Ones first though hahaha.
Tuoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Keen if thers still a place free
meant to find you at fright night but our entire party killed each other so we left early Surprised)
NZ based sounds fun
Mark
and cthulhu (1920s NZ) and roman invictus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Available Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: