NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abbreviations links

View previous topic :: View next topic  
susan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Abbreviations links Reply with quote

Hullo,

I'm afraid I don't have a good memory for acronyms. For example, I've run and played Call of Cthulu many times and yet, when I see "CoC" I often don't understand it to mean something that I know something about. So I was wondering whether it would be easy to make standard abbreviations like that automatically become links to the longer titles with maybe the possibility of people writing guff about the games to go with the titles later.

If not I'll just start a Standard Acronyms thread but it's not as elegant a solution.

Thanks for all your hard work, I'm enjoying the fruits of it.

Susan
Repton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest solution would be to build a page on the Wiki, rather than a thread here.

A more interesting solution would be to automatically scan posts and add <acronym> tags around any acronyms found on a list. But this would require Squee to hack the code... (and maintain the list of acronyms too)
Adrexia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repton wrote:
The easiest solution would be to build a page on the Wiki, rather than a thread here.

A more interesting solution would be to automatically scan posts and add <acronym> tags around any acronyms found on a list. But this would require Squee to hack the code... (and maintain the list of acronyms too)

The problem is that not all visitors would know to look at the wiki for a solution. Ditto for a thread. The acronym tag is the most useful, but I'm not sure how much effort automatically generating these would take. Any ideas?

Actually if there were a wiki page then any acronym could be a link to it... not sure if that would make it any easier though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flamebunny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all valid ideas and i will get squee to have a think about them.
The coding to do this will be a bit time consuming, but if i can sell it to squee you probably would have it up and running within a couple of weeks. Smile
duck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repton wrote:

Yes, but you still have to look at the wiki, and know to do so.

Easier, would be to explain an acronym at it's first mention in a thread - some acronyms perhaps don't need explaining (RPG for example, presumably shouldn't need explaining) but many (BALOR for example) do...
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Ass Loner lvinging by his Own Rules. first coined by Nic Sando during the running of the W:Tf introductionary scenario[/b]

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
susan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Bad Ass Loner lvinging by his Own Rules. first coined by Nic Sando during the running of the W:Tf introductionary scenario[/b]

Thanks for BALOR. Now please do W:Tf. I don't suppose it's "What the fuck?" which is the only thing that's leapt into my mind.

The problem is that which acronyms produce words in people's heads varies from head to head.
susan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.
I'm happy that it be a wiki page, anyone with my problem would only need to ask a question that got them referred to it once before they could look whenever confused. I even blatted off there to try to start one but I failed. Another day perhaps.

Introducing an acronym the first time it's used in a thread doesn't work because it's very easy to end up reading from the middle or the end.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf : the forsaken

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Talden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
Easier, would be to explain an acronym at it's first mention in a thread - some acronyms perhaps don't need explaining (RPG for example, presumably shouldn't need explaining) but many (BALOR for example) do...

No I guess Research Project Grant won't need explaining - why it's used here would be confusing...

Perhaps you meant

Recommended Practices Guide

or

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Ahh then you must be referring to the RPG language for those pesky AS400s.

No? damn...

...Ahh BALOR? That's an acronym?

But you've definitely hit on the fact that many terms (in a wiki-ish) manner do warrant a linking mechanism - It doesn't have to be automated of course, you could use the link meta tag and link into the Wiki... Hard work when you just want to whack up a quick message though.

Hmm tough one that... You could take the Wiki approach and have the system scan your post and suggest such links - definitely not a small job to get right (both in terms of function and of usability).
Gmail: Talden
squee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I haven't looked at the code yet, but would it be suitable to add a [wiki] BB tag so you could say [wiki]CoC[/wiki] and have it auto-link to the appropriate Wiki page? I'm pretty sure I can do that fairly easily...
Adrexia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squee wrote:
Hmmm...

I haven't looked at the code yet, but would it be suitable to add a [wiki] BB tag so you could say [wiki]CoC[/wiki] and have it auto-link to the appropriate Wiki page? I'm pretty sure I can do that fairly easily...

That sounds awesome. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: