NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting slick.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morgue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Getting slick. Reply with quote

This is what I'd like to see: a Kapcon where newcomers, including complete RPG novices and people who don't know anyone in the room, are made to feel welcome.

One thing that I think would help: we stop treating public organization time like our private friends party.

When an organizer steps up to speak: they say their piece and everyone lets 'em. There's no heckling, or lengthy digressions, or big old banter. There's no in-jokes about this dude or that game.

I'd like to see that.

I realize some folk will disagree. I would've disagreed myself, not so very long ago. I've done this stuff myself, most definitely. But I've come to hold the view that every time we get in a joke or a reference at the expense of getting things done, it makes us less accessible. It emphasizes who is in and who is out. It creates status divisions. It disrespects people who aren't into the 'scene'. It makes us look like a bunch of amateurs at our own special party that we threw ourselves.

And yes, you're right, that's what Kapcon is - its a special party we throw ourselves. Its not wrong at all to goof off and celebrate our social connections and the history of our community. (In fact, I think we should be damn proud we've got a community at all. I've visited a lot of places around the world and Wgtn's RPG scene is very special.)

So, not wrong - but I think it's a barrier, and I think it sends a negative message to new arrivals that our in-jokes are more important than their time.

Anyone who's kept an eye on me for a while will know I think about this stuff a lot. Accessibility and community-building are important to me. We do so much so well - for example, newcomers are generally welcomed with smiles and handshakes by whatever randoms they meet. But we can do more to make these people welcome - like this.

That's what I'd like.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to sum up -
a) The organisers time is precious, please help them to use it wisely...

and

b) Be friendly, talk to people you don't know - ask questions like - who are you? where are you from? what games do you play? what games you would like to play? (and if you record the answers to what games you would like to play and post them up after kapcon, you may see those games appear next time round!!!)

This about right?
NickPitt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
So to sum up -

I think this has pretty much been addressed by the fact that we're not doing game blurbs and GMs are not wrangling players this time round.

But I get Morgue's point, even though it's contrary to one of the things that I love about seeing my awesome friends run an awesome con. When there is so much mad energy in the room, sometimes you just can't help it.

I would also say that if we are holding our tongues, I'd like to not see advertisements for all the other cons and events that are coming up every round. Put it up on the boards like everything else, or hold off till the 2nd day when people might actually take that sort of stuff in. I'm sure this has been said somewhere else, but Morgue was talking about what irked him which got me thinking again...
morgue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
So to sum up -

More: the attendees' time is precious. It is up to the organisers, and also other attendees, not to waste it.

Dan wrote:
b) Be friendly, talk to people you don't know...

Yep. And as far as I've seen, we're pretty good at this.

Smile
morgue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickPitt wrote:
But I get Morgue's point, even though it's contrary to one of the things that I love about seeing my awesome friends run an awesome con. When there is so much mad energy in the room, sometimes you just can't help it.

Totally get that! Kapcon is hella fun. Dampening that would be the cost of being slick.

And it is a cost. Not everyone will agree with me that the cost is worth the benefit. I think it is, though.

Agreed entirely on the advertisements - they will hopefully be handled differently this time.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
Totally get that! Kapcon is hella fun. Dampening that would be the cost of being slick.

And it is a cost. Not everyone will agree with me that the cost is worth the benefit. I think it is, though.

To help people weight the costs and benefits, 25% of those who have preregistered have never been to KapCon before. Some of them are new to roleplaying, or are lapsed gamers. It would be nice if we could turn them into people who come back year after year (even though that will mean more running around with my hair on fire on my part).

Oh, and I think we'd arranged standup ads for other cons for day two sometime.
NickPitt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

To help people weight the costs and benefits, 25% of those who have preregistered have never been to KapCon before. Some of them are new to roleplaying, or are lapsed gamers. It would be nice if we could turn them into people who come back year after year (even though that will mean more running around with my hair on fire on my part).

Oh, and I think we'd arranged standup ads for other cons for day two sometime.

Woot for both! Hopefully the new people are going to the pre-con drinks too Smile I was hanging with my little bro earlier this week and my excitement for Kapcon has rubbed off on him so he has pre-registered. He's not gamed for years too!
James P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fully in agreement with Morgue - Between rounds, the less time we spend standing around listening to some dude speak, the more time we can spend mingling and chatting informally with our fellow gamers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tog42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James P wrote:
the less time we spend standing around listening to some dude speak...

Oh, some dude. Thanks very much James Sad
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "dude" isn't the word I'd have used either. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TazzyD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff guys, I cherish the time I get to hang with friends, but on the other side of things, introducing people to something they've not done before will give them their 1st impressions.

I used to play Paintball on a semi professional level and although we had our close knit teams / friends / groups, we always had time for new guys, bringing them into convosations etc.

This will be my first con / LARP. Unfortunatly, don't have the time to come gaming, due to work on sat morning / arvo and the aformentioned Paintballing on sunday in Palmy North, but when it comes to being at the Con for the LARP, I do hope that I won't feel shunned and loaner-ish.
binder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting slick. Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
This is what I'd like to see: a Kapcon where newcomers, including complete RPG novices and people who don't know anyone in the room, are made to feel welcome...

Here, here! Well put Morgue!

I have my own opinions on some of the issues still facing the con, but your comments highlight most of them.

Marcus
tog42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TazzyD wrote:
but when it comes to being at the Con for the LARP, I do hope that I won't feel shunned and loaner-ish.

Unfortunately most people will be running around like headless chickens rushing to get ready in the break before the LARP. However there will likely still be a few sane people about to chat with. Very Happy
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people take the 3rd round off to get ready for the LARP so if you can get there any time from 5 onwards you can get to know people while they are gettign into costume or just hanging out- also means you can get changed at the school if you need to.

We need everyone to gather for the LARP at 8:20 s and the 3rd round finishes at 8 so it is going to be rushed for some of the people.

And for the record I always try to talk to new people and make them feel welcome. As do a number of the regulars. Morgue is just trying to improve on things in a more organized fashion. Very Happy
artemis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one more thing Tazzy are you coming to the drinks tonight at the Ruby Lounge?

It would be a great chance to talk to you before hand and for you to get to know some of us.

If you dont know where this is its on Bond Street where Syn used to be.

Hugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: