NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organisation Review and Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyphoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea for the 'round 1 and 2 are block-booked' problem - reserve one slot in every game during pre-registration for people who're coming to Kapcon for the first time.
NickPitt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
2c from me:

GM pre-selection: I GMed this year because of the GM incentive. Of course, I hadn't thought it 100% through because the game that I absolutely had to play was in round 2, but that's another issue. It did mean I got the spot I wanted in the round 6 game, but I wouldn't have been the least bit unhappy with my next two choices. (Next year I might stick up my hand for GoD since they were short a bit this year).

I don't necessarily think that GMs need a cheaper entry fee though. The extra $20 means nothing to me, and is utterly immeasurably puny compared to the time investment in writing and running a game. The GM pre-selection though, very important for me this year.

GM incentive was awesome, and running games allowed me to get into the game that I absolutely did not want to miss. Unlike Mash, cheaper entry fee has always been incentive for me to GM too.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie wrote:
About room space:
Right now we're using three floors? The one with the admin desk, the one below, and the one below that that gets used for the Saturday night Larp. Is there any reason we can't use the floor down below that, and have four more rooms?

Apparently it has a different layout and isn't nearly as suitable for gaming. Not sure about the level above.
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah because the floor below is all storage space. But I am going to talk to them about another block as well for future years and looking around the school at what is the best use of space
itowlson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
There was a poster underneath the small one that had the games and players in that game printed in 14 point font. A new one of those was put up every round and there were two of them- one by the door and one by the entry tables.

Sorry, but those were the posters I was referring to.
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry when someone mentioned 8 point font I thought there had been a misunderstanding. I was obviously wrong.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
SDC: ... My main comment was that I'd like to get the feedback (not the scores) in January, when there's still a chance of fixing the problems.

That's a interesting comment and I will bring it up at the Kapcon debrief. I think it goes to the heart of whether SDC is about awarding good scenarios or making scenarios better.

FWIW I finished my initial run through the entries in mid-December and could have given some initial feedback early.
MattCowens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:
SDC: ... My main comment was that I'd like to get the feedback (not the scores) in January, when there's still a chance of fixing the problems.

That's a interesting comment and I will bring it up at the Kapcon debrief. I think it goes to the heart of whether SDC is about awarding good scenarios or making scenarios better.

It would be a pretty good incentive for entering - get feedback on your scenario from a panel of judges! Make your game even betterer!
MattCowens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
About room space:
Right now we're using three floors? The one with the admin desk, the one below, and the one below that that gets used for the Saturday night Larp. Is there any reason we can't use the floor down below that, and have four more rooms?

Apparently it has a different layout and isn't nearly as suitable for gaming. Not sure about the level above.

The level above is the school office.
icehawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
Conan wrote:
I do think, however, that seating in the main area was a problem...

...I don't think we can make people throw their bags somewhere.
[/quote]

No, but you can give them somewhere to throw their bags.

If we declare one of the classrooms on that level to also be a "main" room, put up the game blurbs in there, put the coffee urn table in there, tell people that they're welcome to run boardgames in there, ask people to dump their bags there, and generally put stuff there that encourages its use then I think the pressure on the "official" main room would go down.

It doesn't have to be a board-gamers-ghetto: if you worry about exclusion, then make it a mixed-use space.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is much pretty much what we were planning. Well except for not putting the Coffee Urn in there and having one copy of the blurbs in there and still having copy in the main room.

We just haven't had our full debrief and decisions yet.
icehawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
Sorry when someone mentioned 8 point font I thought there had been a misunderstanding. I was obviously wrong.

I had misunderstood, or failed to see, the larger ones you refer to.
tog42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
I had misunderstood, or failed to see, the larger ones you refer to.

We didn't point these out well enough this year. There will be big signs indicating these for 2011.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Adrexia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked being able to prebook. It made the complications of the 4th rounds desk duty vanish because I didn't have to do anything to organise myself for the rest of the day. In general, not having to fill in pieces of paper between every round made my con a whole lot more stress-free.

I would support extending this to all attendees, except that Kapcon gets a lot of players showing up at the con without preregistering. Extending this to the majority would leave the minority without a whole lot of choices.

I support the idea of keeping a space in every game open for on the day arrivals (including 1st and 2nd round, as well as GM picks). I don't mind about a quarter of the games being fully booked out (or < half in 1st & 2nd session), but after that it starts to take away options from first timers and non-GMs. I think Kapcon should avoid becoming exclusive where it can be helped.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I tried to stay out of the main room between sessions. It was too hot, and overcrowded, whereas the side-rooms had fewer people, tables to sit at, and were noticeably cooler. For public space I'd support making one of those an official extension of the main room. I think boardgamers should be able to play their games where ever they want to set-up, but extending the public space should at least spread people out a little more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
For public space I'd support making one of those an official extension of the main room. I think boardgamers should be able to play their games where ever they want to set-up, but extending the public space should at least spread people out a little more.

Agreed. Not least because of the fact that the games on demand room gets used as a lunch room by a large number of people. I don't begrudge this, but I'd prefer there to be more public space, so that between rounds in the games on demand room can be reserved for people interested in checking out our selection rather than just people looking for a place to sit down and eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: