NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organisation Review and Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
artemis



Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 718
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the first timers most of them did pre register as 25% of the pre registrations were first timers.

I am not sure on the percentages returnee's or new people out of those who turned up on Saturday or Sunday without pre registering.

Walk ins over both days accounted for 24 people out of 128, some of these were boardgamers only present on Sunday.

I am not sure if this makes a difference in considering the pre booking of games at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AndyM



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for another awesome year. I had a great time.

This was my second time attending Kapcon and my first as a GM. I really liked the new format for heading off to sessions and was really impressed that most sessions started on, or before, time.

The GM picks concept was also good and I echo the thoughts of others who found that it helped when running a game that I didn't have to think about running around getting picks in.

I like the idea of picking the first two rounds on a first in basis, as I think it gives an incentive for people to sign up early. I would be reluctant to see it extended to the whole con however, as I think it is nice that even first timers (like I was last year) have equal opportunity to play in the more popular games with the regulars. I think it works pretty well as it does now, though I'm not totally familiar with the background work it requires.

That's my two cents for now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dillon



Joined: 25 Jan 2006
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons why I didn't come to Kapcon this year:

* by and large I have not enjoyed the LARPs, playing them is just not my thing and the Oberon and Titania running gag a few years back annoyed the hell out of me. As that used to be pretty much the only thing going on Saturday nights I started bailing from Kapcon on Saturday night. because the LARP is such a centrepiece of the Con, once I started skipping that, skipping the rest of the con became much easier.

* looking at 'sold out' sessions in round 1/2 a few days prior to the con was a turnoff, given that I was skim-reading the website very quickly, other options did not really catch my eye.

* I really don't like the prizegiving, and the competitive nature of game design for Kapcon and how that influenced my own game design process.

* mates atmosphere has made me feel like an outsider watching high school cliques.


On a third day, there is no reason why you have to repeat the format of days one and two. About 20 years ago I went to a three day con in Dunedin a few times, and day three featured quite different game structures, such as a 30 player diplomacy game, rather than the mixture of rpg sessions on days 1-2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrexia



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2117
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:

* by and large I have not enjoyed the LARPs, playing them is just not my thing and the Oberon and Titania running gag a few years back annoyed the hell out of me. As that used to be pretty much the only thing going on Saturday nights I started bailing from Kapcon on Saturday night. because the LARP is such a centrepiece of the Con, once I started skipping that, skipping the rest of the con became much easier.


Yep. They haven't appeared in a few years now. I don't think you were the only one to tire of that gag. Games on Demand now seem to consistently be running session 3.5 at the same time as the Larp, which gives people a few more options.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 1046
Location: Palmerston North (bugger)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
Reasons why I didn't come to Kapcon this year:

* by and large I have not enjoyed the LARPs, playing them is just not my thing and the Oberon and Titania running gag a few years back annoyed the hell out of me.


I think they stopped doing that a few years back. And if larp isn't your thing, we now have (untimetbaled, but semi-organised) regular gaming in that slot as well (this year: WFRP, RPGA, and Games on Demand).

Quote:
* looking at 'sold out' sessions in round 1/2 a few days prior to the con was a turnoff, given that I was skim-reading the website very quickly, other options did not really catch my eye.


Yeah, that was bad, and my fault for failing to juggle games vs player demand properly and make sure to always have a good number of options.

Final analsyis will have to wait till I get the on-the-day spreadsheets, but from the preregistration data, its looking like I need to arrange 14 - 15 sessions of gaming in rounds one and two next year. Yipe! (Fortunately, I already have a third of it promised).
_________________
Playing: ArM5 - Fons Albae; Pendragon: Defenders of Sarum
Running: ArM5 - Fons Albae (rotating); The Laundry
Planning: KapCon XXI; The Devil's Brood (Chimera); Hydra (April 2012)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
* I really don't like the prizegiving, and the competitive nature of game design for Kapcon and how that influenced my own game design process.


I am guessing this will not be convincing for you but Kapcon's nomination system is optional. If you don't like it, you can choose not to participate in it.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conan



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 472
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big concern is the mates criticisms I see popping up.

Now, personally, when I first came to Kapcon I found all the in jokes and mates talking atmosphere refreshingly welcome. I never felt excluded, but rather I felt comfortable talking with people I had never met before because they felt so laid back and approachable.

It was this very matey atmosphere that convinced me to come down to Wellington to live and become a regular attendee.

But I am concerned about the view that some people feel excluded. What can we do to find a balance there? The aim, in my opinion, should be to make everyone who attends feel like they are welcome and want to make friends with others at the convention - but I also think that if the con organizers drop the jokey nature they could be perceived as more distant and less approachable.

Maybe we should look at Kapcon Ambassadors - not an official name - but basically more people who do what Nasia tries to do every year - try to talk to new people, make everyone feel included and welcome.

Given the demographic there will always be those who don't like socializing and just show up for gaming. What can be done to help these folk? They are the ones to most likely feel excluded.

Personally, I don't feel that removing that mates atmosphere is beneficial. Kapcon is as much about making friends as it is about gaming. I think to remove that atmosphere risks removing what makes Kapcon so popular.

But we do need to look at how to make people feel more included in the con.

Conan
_________________
Kung Fu Genius Master Fighter of MURMUR
Playing: Serpent's Skull
http://www.urbannumina.co.nz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MikeSands



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1406
Location: RV Steadfast, bearing west

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say that I 100% agree with everything Conan said there.
_________________
Games: http://genericgames.co.nz/
Blog: http://gamesteratlarge.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GamesterAtLarge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Maybe we should look at Kapcon Ambassadors - not an official name - but basically more people who do what Nasia tries to do every year - try to talk to new people, make everyone feel included and welcome.


To be honest, wouldn't it just be enough if all "long term" Kapcon attendees made an effort to talk to 2 or 3 people they don't know over the weekend. It feels kind of awkward but its not a big ask and it leaves plenty of time for socialising with friends.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MikeSands



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1406
Location: RV Steadfast, bearing west

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Conan wrote:
Maybe we should look at Kapcon Ambassadors - not an official name - but basically more people who do what Nasia tries to do every year - try to talk to new people, make everyone feel included and welcome.


To be honest, wouldn't it just be enough if all "long term" Kapcon attendees made an effort to talk to 2 or 3 people they don't know over the weekend. It feels kind of awkward but its not a big ask and it leaves plenty of time for socialising with friends.


Don't people do that anyway? I think the value of Conan's suggestion is that there are recognisable people who are specifically there to answer all the little questions like "where do I sign up for a game?" "what's with the scoring sheets?" "where are the toilets?" and so on.

On a related note, maybe there should be a crew uniform (i.e. t-shirt)? The con seems to have got big enough that the team maybe need more than the words on their name badge to stand out these days.
_________________
Games: http://genericgames.co.nz/
Blog: http://gamesteratlarge.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GamesterAtLarge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan



Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 222
Location: Wellington (now)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan
Quote:
Given the demographic there will always be those who don't like socializing and just show up for gaming. What can be done to help these folk? They are the ones to most likely feel excluded.


Huh? Why help these folk? (I'm one of these folk).

Socializing is fun, but I go to KapCon for the games and gaming experiences - sure I would like to game with more of the fellows that I enjoy socialising with (KapCon's size now doesn't allow this), and I would feel "excluded" at the socialisation parts inbetween the game - but that is because I want to be excluded.

I don't need help, I need a good con experience.

Quote:
Kapcon is as much about making friends as it is about gaming.


I agree, but the question is weather or not you are approachable to make friends outside the gaming. (ie the social inbetween game parts). And weather or not I am comfortable or interested to approach you outside of the gaming environment (NB Gaming is what I came to KapCon for).

KapCon (when smaller) was alot easier to meet all people at the 'con, this is due to the number and variety of games, chances were that you were likely to be gaming with most people at the 'con and thus able to make friends during the shared gaming time.

Because KapCon is so "flat" in its expansion (ie adding more games per stream rather than more gaming times), this has resulted in it being unlikely that you are going to meet everyone (or most people) during the time most spent at KapCon - namely during the game times. This means you are going to make the same amount of friends as you did when KapCon was smaller, but this becomes less of an impact in the big social times.

Luke
Quote:
To be honest, wouldn't it just be enough if all "long term" Kapcon attendees made an effort to talk to 2 or 3 people they don't know over the weekend.


Nope. Think about it this way - the "long term" Kapcon attendees make up about 20% of the number? (at a Guess)... that means even if they talk to 2-3 attendees (should they have the time), it still only hitting around 60% of the whole... just over half.

Also, I don't know if you could create this expectation of the "long term" or any attendees. I for one don't want to talk to noobs - I have limited time (in the social times) and would prefer to talk to people that I either know or want to talk too.

I don't mind talking to the noobs when playing a game because thats what we are all at KapCon to do (or at least, thats what KapCon advertises itself to do to the outsiders)....

My 2c on the "mates criticisims"

Look, I'm one of those that has made the criticism on the mates atmosphere. But I don't think that this necessaryily comes from the organisation of the 'con - nor do I think that the organisation of the 'con (if it changes) is going to have an effect on how matey the attendees are going to be...
_________________
Ta Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scott



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Luke wrote:
Conan wrote:
Maybe we should look at Kapcon Ambassadors - not an official name - but basically more people who do what Nasia tries to do every year - try to talk to new people, make everyone feel included and welcome.


To be honest, wouldn't it just be enough if all "long term" Kapcon attendees made an effort to talk to 2 or 3 people they don't know over the weekend. It feels kind of awkward but its not a big ask and it leaves plenty of time for socialising with friends.


Don't people do that anyway? I think the value of Conan's suggestion is that there are recognisable people who are specifically there to answer all the little questions like "where do I sign up for a game?" "what's with the scoring sheets?" "where are the toilets?" and so on.

On a related note, maybe there should be a crew uniform (i.e. t-shirt)? The con seems to have got big enough that the team maybe need more than the words on their name badge to stand out these days.


Haha I am currently writing up a "from the Desk" thread where I give my opinion from an organisers point of view what went right and wrong this year and what we can do better. And I have touched on both of those points. I made an effort to go talk to people who were new to the con this year or sitting round reading books and so on and see how they were all going and got some great feedback from that (Thanks Morgue).

I had also been going to suggest to Nick that as well as Kapcon Tshirts next year we need organiser tshirts and had a few fun ideas around those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tog42



Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 316
Location: Londinium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt people were very good at embracing what Morgue had talked about in the 'getting slick' thread. There was little in the way of interruptions during announcements.

As the lead organiser, over the weekend I made an effort to learn everyone's name and ask how things were going. However I really didn't have much time to chat with anyone over the weekend, whether I knew them well or not.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying)
Running: Dresden Files
Planning: Kapcon XXI LARP
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tog42



Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 316
Location: Londinium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
On a related note, maybe there should be a crew uniform (i.e. t-shirt)? The con seems to have got big enough that the team maybe need more than the words on their name badge to stand out these days.

Not a bad plan Mike. We could also print organiser name badges on a different colour of paper.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying)
Running: Dresden Files
Planning: Kapcon XXI LARP
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndyM



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who was new attendee last year, I think Conan's suggestions are very good.

I knew a few people when I first arrived, but because they were busy or in different games, I did feel a little on the outer. This year since I knew a few more people and made the effort to introduce myself, it was really good. Now this isn't a criticism, but given that people in the hobby are often shy and socially awkward, something like an 'ambassador' could really turn people from one time attendees into regulars (or at least give them a more fulfilling experience.).

Some people only come to the con to game and hang out with their mates, but other may be new to the city and could use the introduction to others. I think it's an idea that is worth considering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group