NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blogging Kapcon 19
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Blogging Kapcon 19 Reply with quote

I've blogged my day one of Kapcon 19. Includes Bad Family, Silver Kiss of the Magical Twilight etc and The Black Cat. Funny quotes included.

http://wp.me/pp6oN-14n

Please use this thread to share your own blog posts about the con so we can all share in the fun times Smile

Still to come from me: Reunion LARP and day two.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too:

http://grandexperiment.livejournal.com/62089.html
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My write ups can be found here.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Jebbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a blast at Kapcon again this year. Thank you to all the oganisers, GM's and Players!!

I played in two fabulous games. Apes on a Mother Freaking Shuttle and The Golden Pegasus Home for Retired Adventurers. These were both awesome games and a big thank you to the GM's and my fellow players for making them so enjoyable.

Also a big thank you to the board game organisers. I am a board game fan and really enjoyed learning some new games over the weekend. Cheers guys.

Now for some GM comments. I ran Lashings of Ginger Beer - The Secret Symbol of the Lost Plot on both days. I would just like to say a big thank you to all the players who picked my game and got into character so beautifully. May I say you all rocked, like big rocky things!!
I haven't laughed so much in a long time, and some of the ideas and quotes that came out of the sessions were truly mad and quite brilliant. I have included some of the quotes and ideas below:

Firstly to the group in my Round 1 session: The group found some hot pink bath/cultist type robes. They decided to steal them. The group as a whole then proceeded to wear these robes while climbing a wall and sneaking around the grounds of a Manor house. Sneaking around in hot pink bath/cultist type robes in the dead of night!! Now that takes guts. Jolly good show!! (Brilliant!!) Smile

Also in my first round session, and I apologise because I can't remember who it was - the player who managed to use the TARDIS to create a diversion. (don't ask) Jolly well done that man!!

Fourth round session: I actually remembered some player names here!!

Thomas Joychild: Having made his character's search role he proudly said, "I found the key under the loose floorboard in the garden."

Matt Brunton: For his character's theory on who the bad guys were, "So Andrea has been kidnapped by nudist, bourbon drinking lesbians then!!"

Lev La Feyette: For coming up with the idea for a cunning weapon when ambushing the bad guys - a badger catapult. Having made the appropriate near impossible role to make such a device, the team actually managed to capture three badgers and build two mini catapults. Suffice it to say the bad guys really copped a jolly good badgering in the finale!! Hoorah!!

There were so many priceless moments I really could go on writing for some time.

Thanks again to all my awesome players, who totally rocked!! You made my weekend simply spiffing and I am a very happy GM!! Well Hoorah with lashings of ginger beer.
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to read about other people's impressions! Thanks for taking the time to prepare those posts.

My K-19 was much fun.
PLAYING:

Aliens Endgame
I had been excited about this since Morgue first offered it, and had been talking to anyone who'd listen about how awesome it'd be. So, as I sat down to play I suddenly wondered if I wasn't in for inevitable disappointment, I mean my expectations were through the roof!

Of course, Morgue delivered. It was fantastic. The way the game was set up really let me engage with the system in a dynamic way, and the ability to play supporting characters was an amazing addition. The three stories were really great, and I think it delivered a much more mature and considered Aliens experience, without compromising on the threat or action. It helped that I got to play both the corporate sleezeball and the android, which was epic fun. Particular kudos to Mash for being my offsider and joining in my corporate-babble tirade whenever we didn't know what was going on.

Highlight: Having my character, who was almost certain to die, saved by the pity of the other players for a last minute glimpse of humanity.

Black Cat
Another game I had been looking forward to for ages, especially given its mercurial, cat-like, on again, off again promotion. As you may have read elsewhere I played Pops the Maine Coon tom who particularly enjoyed sifting trash for food, bullying others, spraying and licking his junk.

The others were awesome, channelling cat behaviours at every step and making me laugh so hard I couldn't concentrate. The plot was a challenge because the nature of cat society was unknown, but the adventure actually ran really smoothly, and was actually very rewarding because of the challenge. The climax was suitably terrifying, particularly when it looked like the lovable stray (played by Jenni) might actually die after having been totally fearless in the investigation.

Highlight: Finding my inner lion, killing a bad dude then licking my junk.

Reapers Bounty
So rather than LARP, I agreed to play the new WFRP with Luke, Liam and John. Mostly this was to learn the new system because I'm way too lazy to actually read it myself. On the night I was worried because my cat adventures had sapped my strength and I was wilting fast and not sure I'd be up for another 3 hours of playing.

I shouldn't have worried though, with lots of coffee inside me and everyone really bringing a lot of energy to the table things went off! Putting me and Jon together as players is always interesting (as poor Sophie found out later!) I was playing the apprentice wizard (which is normally a pathetic choice in WFRP) but whose picture had him looking like some kind of lone-wolf ninja. So I decided that the character was totally full of himself and more than a little pathetic.

Much fun ensured. Our schizophrenic approach to investigation ensured that we found ourselves in a bad spot, but we loved every second. The challenge level was awesome and smiting our foes was immensely satisfying. The system made sense despite our tiredness, so a very enjoyable experience.

Highlight: The epic battle and Jon's machine of death.

Still to Come:
This game may have been karmic justice. A military game where there is a healthy dose of player intrigue and paranoia, and horrific discoveries was pretty much exactly Digging for a Dead God.

I loved this game. I was given the Major who seemed to be a straight shooter and having recently seen Avatar I decided to model my self on Col. Bad-ass. The mission brief looked bad (which was, of course, also totally awesome).

It was an excellent and creepy setting, with the potential for a TPK at any moment (lasted longer than you Marcus - Hah!). I made two mistakes which really sealed my fate. The first was to relentlessly rag on Liam's naval aviator which may well have contributed to her decision to not tell us about incoming orbital bombardment, although fittingly she already hated my character. And secondly, the Major was pretty confident that things were going okay and there was still a job to do, so never asked for backup or support from off-planet which also meant I didn't learn of the forthcoming nuke. Ironically I had talked about nuking the planet from orbit, and arranging additional extraction at the beginning but not really sorted anything out.

In addition I had a dark secret that I was struggling to bring into the game, settling for some moody moments, which I think just confused things.

Highlight: Lots of notes, and watching Sophie's surprise when I ordered that we go deeper into the mines. Good times.

GM notes coming next.

Last edited by Dale on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
Reapers Bounty
So rather than LARP, I agreed to play the new WFRP with Luke, Liam and John. Mostly this was to learn the new system because I'm way too lazy to actually read it myself. On the night I was worried because my cat adventures had sapped my strength and I was wilting fast and not sure I'd be up for another 3 hours of playing.

I started with a massive headache from Hommlet, but it remarkably disappeared once we started. The Star must have been Right!
MikeSands

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gamesteratlarge.blogspot.com/2010/01/kapcon-2010-after-action-report.html
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted mine. These will be public for a limited time, as I am ridiculously harsh and mean and don't like that sort of thing being public for long.

Also: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR EVERY GAME I PLAYED.

Day 1 - http://mashugenah.livejournal.com/331792.html
Day 2 - http://mashugenah.livejournal.com/332043.html
Day 3 - http://mashugenah.livejournal.com/332288.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Action report (with some confusion) of "Against the Night" has been reposted by the larp author:

http://larp-musing.livejournal.com/16991.html
SamW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted mine. Very Happy

http://samnotluke.livejournal.com/4404.html
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke:
Quote:
I started with a massive headache from Hommlet, but it remarkably disappeared once we started. The Star must have been Right!

Actually, thinking about that scenario, it was basically Mad Max 2 right?

Quote:
The Humungus: There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, Wood Elf and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

K19 GM'ing

Okay, so this year I ran two published scenarios using the same system - sweet! I used the time I'd normally spend frantically writing to simplify the Cthulhu system and make some props to enhance the experience and iron out some kinks. Two playtests of each game revealed places which needed improvement, so I felt pretty ready to go this year.

So first up was Digging for a Dead God. I started the game with a heavy disclaimer, which Idiot later called me on. Basically I did this for two reasons, first I wanted the players to play SS officers, who are trying to get a local populace to co-operate with them. Not in a comedic way, as Nazi's are often portrayed in roleplaying, but in a very real and uncomfortable way. I felt that, as I had no idea who'd be in my game it was important to set some boundaries.

Secondly, well, it was an element of psy-ops. By amping up the tension amongst the players ooc. and really making them think about character choices, I think they really came at it with the right degree of paranoia.

This third run of the game was the darkest yet, and concluded with most of the party entombed, killing each other. Really the perfect end, I couldn't have asked for better, and despite the sandbox nature of the game and the evident character v. character conflicts. Folks seemed to enjoy it so, all in all, good fun.

Next My Little Sister Wants You To Suffer. Okay so I can't say a whole lot about this as I plan to run it again and others might want to as well. Needless to say it is an awesome scenario for a 'con environment, the only real drawback being the 20 minutes it takes me to get ready and the 30 minutes or so needed to reset the game.

My Little Sister made a whole lot of people suffer, and I think they loved (almost) every minute of it. There were some awesome moments and I really enjoyed running it. Even in round 6 when I was pretty much a mess, the game kept me firing until the bitter end! Aside from one computer crash, there wasn't really anything I'd have changed.

Last edited by Dale on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jenni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've done my LARP report now. It's too long, don't read it. But check out the pretty pictures!

http://wp.me/pp6oN-14s
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
So first up was Digging for a Dead God. I started the game with a heavy disclaimer, which Idiot later called me on. Basically I did this for two reasons, first I wanted the players to play SS officers, who are trying to get a local populace to co-operate with them. Not in a comedic way, as Nazi's are often portrayed in roleplaying, but in a very real and uncomfortable way. I felt that, as I had no idea who'd be in my game it was important to set some boundries.

Secondly, well, it was an element of psy-ops. By amping up the tension amongst the players ooc. and really making them think about character choices, I think they really came at it with the right degree of paranoia.

It definitely succeeded on those levels, and telling people up front "go and be nasty to one another" set the right tone.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
Actually, thinking about that scenario, it was basically Mad Max 2 right?

Close:

See the similarities.
Freya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My write ups:

Day One

Day Two
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 19 (2010) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: