NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bliss Stage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Bliss Stage Reply with quote

Based on its enthusiastic reception at Kapcon and Ivan's gentle & enthusiastic wrangling, we're starting a new game of Bliss Stage on Thursday night.

It's a good group; I'm excited to be playing with a couple of people I've never sat down at a table with before but who I've heard excellent things about.

Here's a picture of what I expect the session to be like.

(Does anyone know if we can insert images into posts on nzrag.com?)

I'm looking forward to this, and this thread is kind of in anticipation of wanting to have somewhere to talk about the game after we've played.

Also: I'll leave it to Morgue to describe what Bliss Stage is about. He was getting damn good at it in the Games on Demand room.

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a teenager.

You fight aliens.

You wear a giant battlesuit.

The battlesuit is made of love.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope its not bad form to post inspirational anime images:

She's loves him and can't let him go, but he's already one with his mecha Wink

And for the action orientated:

Last edited by Luke on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 am; edited 4 times in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bliss Stage Reply with quote

hix wrote:
Here's a picture of what I expect the session to be like.

Normally just use the img tags. However, that isn't showing a .jpg.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear more! Bliss Stage is one of those games I wish I'd been able to play at the Con.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even I thought it was cool. Though probably not for the same reasons as everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Yeah, even I thought it was cool. Though probably not for the same reasons as everyone else.

A mysterious BALOR response Smile Care to elaborate.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to say too much until I have a chance to read some decent AAR and/or play some more myself. As a teaser: I think that the nominal action of the game creates an interesting motivation and structure for inter-character roleplaying, which could be very interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
itowlson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's premature to draw conclusions from two one-off games, but my interest is similar to Mash's (if I read his teaser correctly). The nominal action, teenagers fighting aliens with giant robots, leaves me as cold as a very cold thing. But the fact that this nominal action is used to set up stresses and problems in character relationships, and the need to resolve and deepen those relationships in order to survive the nominal action, appears to create an great impetus for intense inter-character roleplaying -- and that's what attracts me about the game. But we shall see.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itowlson wrote:
Yeah, it's premature to draw conclusions from two one-off games, but my interest is similar to Mash's (if I read his teaser correctly). The nominal action, teenagers fighting aliens with giant robots, leaves me as cold as a very cold thing. But the fact that this nominal action is used to set up stresses and problems in character relationships, and the need to resolve and deepen those relationships in order to survive the nominal action, appears to create an great impetus for intense inter-character roleplaying -- and that's what attracts me about the game. But we shall see.

Cool. I have said this before, but I think what you guys are identifying is very much what most others (plus those who are fans of the genre that inspired the RPGs) are interested in as well. "Teenagers fighting aliens with giant robots" is just a vehicle for intense character drama much like having super powers are for superheroes. Sure, if you like "teenagers fighting aliens with giant robots" its a bonus but its not the heart of the real appeal.

To make the central appeal of the genre into something almost literal and playable is the beauty of BlissStage's design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Random Play All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: