NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Fright Night IV] Advance Notice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: [Fright Night IV] Advance Notice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that Fright Night IV, the one-night horror roleplaying convention in Wellington, will this year be held on the evening of Saturday, October 16 at Turnbull House.

Once again we will present a selection of horror themed games from a range of genres and settings.

This year there are 3 ways to be involved in Fright Night.

1. Come along and play. We'll be doing pre-registrations again, so be sure to sign up for games you want to play as soon as possible to guarantee your place. With any luck there'll be a series of e-mail newsletters before the event, and GM's also have the option of sending out characters and other information in advance so you can be prepared.

2. Run a game. Fright Night is seeking unique horror scenarios designed to fit in a 3 hour time-frame. It is anticipated that these scenarios will be original (not run at a prior NZ 'con), and will have been playtested prior to Fright Night to iron out any kinks. This year Fright Night will offer a peer review process (see 3 below).

The game need not necessarily be scary, but it would be good if it catered to some traditional horror tropes. All games should have pre-generated characters or a very speedy process for character creation, and be assigned a film advisory rating (R18, R16, M etc.). Also games need to be scored out of 5 in the categories of Scare, Suspense, Splatter and Strange so the punters have an idea of what they're signing up for.

If you already have an idea for a game then feel free to PM me or send it through to frightnight.wellington [at] gmail.com

3. Peer review process. Writing a scenario can be tough, and sometimes getting together a playtest can be hard, so this year Fright Night is offering GM's the chance to have their game peer reviewed by others before the 'con.

The blind peer-review process involves simply sending a treatment (a short written summary) of your plot and characters to Fright Night, and we'll send it on to GM's who are interested in providing feedback (and not planning on playing it on the night).

They'll send their thoughts and possible suggestions in a constructively critical way, to us, and we'll pass 'em back to you for consideration. A number of past 'Fright Night Masters', who have run games in many 'cons and some who've published scenarios, have already indicated an interest in helping out. If you'd like to help review scenarios, then we'd love to hear from you too.

There'll be more posted here soon about Fright Night IV, but already I can tell you that folks are planning some fantastic sounding games. This Fright Night will have LARP, semi-LARP and tabletop offerings set everywhere from the right here and now through to the old west, historic Otago gold fields, distant planets and beyond.
Jenni

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, why so early?
Dale

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you mean the date, there was some very strongly worded feedback about how people didn't want Fright Night to clash with Halloween parties, and that in the event that it did, such parties would be prioritised over this event Confused Given we've been light on player numbers in recent years, I figured I couldn't afford the risk.

Trying to go back just one week and Turnbull was booked for meditation, although there was the possibility for sharing if we were quiet Wink So I got the next free slot.
Jenni

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*weeps*

But that's the closest Saturday night to my birthday!

Ah well, maybe this year I shall finally have a combined Birthday/Hallowe'en party!

BTW. We could totes have shared with the meditators. There was only a *little* screaming at last year's Fright Night.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't expect people to scream in my scenario this year. Probably more like huddling in a corner rocking and weeping. Hardly disturbing to meditation at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Yeah, I don't expect people to scream in my scenario this year. Probably more like huddling in a corner rocking and weeping. Hardly disturbing to meditation at all.

Are you running AD&D1e again Wink
Dale

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, after having a chat with Morgue about what he's planning for 'Simmer and Lock' I think I might need to make some counseling services available after Fright Night...

And he isn't the only one planning an immersive experience - the LARP "All Saints' Eve" sounds just plain terrifying. Shocked

It seems that some of the horror chat we had earlier in the year has been turned into a manifesto for some folks. Roll on October.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:

Are you running AD&D1e again Wink

Not weeping for joy. Sorry, should have been clearer. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Upcoming Cons All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: