NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: General Discussion Reply with quote

Please feel free to post any general thoughts, questions or discussion here.

Last edited by Luke on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 am; edited 3 times in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a heads up, we are likely to be starting 4 weeks late into this season, so we will be holding sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday until we catch up.

I hope that we will be "up to date" by the start of Chapter 2.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally have the packs and are able to confirm the dates of the first chapter. We should be back to normal time by the start of chapter 2 as promised.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that we may get more players than PCs per session at the moment. We have investigated a second game and that might be possible in some other capacity in the future (though not in the store on the same day due to space restraints).

At the moment, the best idea seems to be to cycle people around as much as possible. So, you may miss 1 session out of 3 with preference going to those players who have played less sessions. Its not ideal but seems better than a first come first served basis or giving preference to people who have played more sessions, as this limits the number of players who can get involved overall.

If anyone has any ideas, post them here.
Jon Ball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to sit out games when we have more players than characters. I'm also happy to rotate characters if needed. I figure the objective is to get people invovled with the game, so preference should also be shown for newer players.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Its cool to have people play multiple times but I am not sure there is a huge advantage of the same players playing the same PCs consistently, compared to giving more people a chance to participate. Maybe when we get to once a week it will be more difficult.
Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for accomodating me this time. Was good to get involved.

I am also happy to rotate and miss sessions. On rostered off weeks I am happy to sit and still enjoy the story, mainly for continuity for the next session

Also have signed up to the DCI. Should be good to go.

So on the roster thing, just looking at the renown rewards. How does it work in regards to surviving x encounters without a PC dying. Is that per player controlling any PC or the particular PC in general. Does it go to all players who controlled the PC if that is the case?

Giving preference to those who have played less would give the advantage to receive the 2RP for 2 b2b sessions. Given there is what 5 Encounters in a chapter, that seems doable

Last edited by Ants on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers dude.
Jon Ball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke, can you remind me how the reckless breakage rule works? If I roll a 1 I can have my weapon break and... what are the benefits?

Is this rule unique to Dark Sun? Or does it exist in all D&D?

Thanks,

Jon
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Ball wrote:
Luke, can you remind me how the reckless breakage rule works? If I roll a 1 I can have my weapon break and... what are the benefits?

Is this rule unique to Dark Sun? Or does it exist in all D&D?

Thanks,

Jon

If you roll a 1, you can choose to reroll the attack. After the attack, your weapon breaks. If its a metal weapon, it only breaks if the second roll is a natural 5 or lower. A broken magic weapon is destroyed. A broken magic weapons looses all magic bonuses and abilities until it is repaired.

Its a Dark Sun only rule to showcase the lack of metal and the poorer quality weapons.
Jon Ball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! Very Happy
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I have made some chnages to the this forum's structure? I am not convinced an AP thread per session was that useful. The combined AP thread should reduce the number of threads considerably and possibly be better for generating ongoing AP discussion.

Thoughts?
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants wrote:
So on the roster thing, just looking at the renown rewards. How does it work in regards to surviving x encounters without a PC dying. Is that per player controlling any PC or the particular PC in general. Does it go to all players who controlled the PC if that is the case?

Yeah the player/character distinction makes some of the awards a bit weird. For example I changed the milestone to back to back sessions as the later is achieved by the player rather than the PC and the renown are essentially a player award.

For the serviving X encounters that for be for each encounter no matter what PC they play.

Overall the ronown awards are a fun gimmicky add on and not a precise scoring system. So don't sweat the detail and it should be fine. Smile
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next season of D&D Encounters starting in late September/early October is Keep of the Borderlands! Its Essentials focussed.

Woot and double Woot!
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More detail of Upcoming Seasons:

Season 3: "Season of Serpents", taking place in the Nentir Vale/Keep on the Borderlands. Sept. 22 Feb. 2, 2011 (5 chapters)

I have sanctioned this season, so we should be good to go. From what I have heard, there is pregens as before, but you can also make PCs from Heroes of the Fallen Lands if you wish (which is due out in September, so expect it in NZ in October).

Its a very long season at 20 sessions long! Its supposed to be old school in feel. It is written by Chris Sim who is one of WotC's better adventure writer. They will also be a greater focus NPC interaction and relationships.

Season 4: Feb. 9 May 4, 2011 (3 chapters)

Season 5: May 11 Aug. 3, 2011 (3 chapters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> D&D Encounters All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: