NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superhero Reception Date
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a beast of a post but its up. http://samnotluke.livejournal.com/10554.html
sophmelc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say, that if either Jenni or Paul (preferably both!) wanted to do a sequel I'd be there in a flash!

Blog - Mostly Geek
Ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the GM's, the players I interacted with (Special mention to Ellen, Sam, Nick P, Nick C), and especially all the newbies. They all just blew me away with how they interacted with the plot and went full on.

Great job guys

And to all off you who thought the Jester was actually Coyote in disguise... Come on guys can't a fella play a hero in a LARP just once?

Perhaps I shall return to my more villainous ways in the future Smile
tog42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be keen to hear a play report from you Ants as it seemed you were coming at me with everything but the kitchen sink to get in between Kelly and I. I never suspected you for Coyote though.

I know what you mean about the newbies, I had fantastic exchanges with several of them.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
AhGoodTheSea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Sophiemelc- if there was a sequel I would be there with, well, maybe not bells, but certainly LEDs on.

Poor Antz- you were a hero who saves small children and we STILL thought you were the bad guy. Though it did lead to, I think, one of the worst moments in the game for Kara (which I think I told you on Monday)- nope, he's not possessed by an evil spirit of Chaos intent on nothing but malice...he's just being an asshat.

Though Randy-Pants's method of casting the spell to see if you were possessed was one of the funniest things I've seen at a LARP - doing spirit fingers and saying 'ooogly boogly boogly!'. LOUDLY.

It was up there with Amphigori's 'magic finger of awesome', and King Leodegrance the senile at Black Hart of Camelot.
tog42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhGoodTheSea wrote:
nope, he's not possessed by an evil spirit of Chaos intent on nothing but malice...he's just being an asshat.

Given his attitude towards me all night, I just thought he was an asshat. What do you ladies see in him? Wink
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Jenni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the way we wrote Jester...he was just a bit of an asshat.

Sorry Ants, at least you were essentially a decent guy Smile
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-Sequel!! Very Happy
C'mon, you know you want to...
Somebody else can play Coyote next time, and I'll play an over-the-top superhero. No letters, I promise!! Wink
Ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---Better Late than never. Just realised I had this in my drafts and never finished it. As such alot is from memory of over month ago Smile

Well the night started off fairly poorly. The time I had allocated to prepare for the game was taken away with my Mum not feeling the best. It meant a few of the finishing touches to make the Jester come alive went by the wayside. No problem in the end, I would just wing it as usual and just try and feel my way through. So off I went, facepaint and wacky tie packed along with some scribbled notes about my past and key people to remember.

Apologies to the crew for not being there earlier. I remember keenly that I was going to help set up, but circumstances I guess…

Anyways so I make it to the venue, grumble my way into the boys toilets and see Nick P expertly painting a raven on his neck in the mirror. His skills would be needed, so after pleasantries and a quick catch up I soon have him working his magic on my face. Originally I had wanted to wear a Jesters hat, but when I asked at the costume cave they all looked at me funny. It seems the only Jesters hat they had was the old style medieval ones. That wouldn’t do. Think of the clashing! So on to just the paint and some wacky hair. I figured that Ultima, Billy’s BFF was outed, that The Jester would also have been outed. With his current enemies from his serious Crime fighting days gone and his now age appropriate villains less of a danger I decided it would be alright if Billy wore his make up.

Facepaint was applied and I had my face. With no hat I decided it would be best to just paint one on, and considering the Jesters feelings for the night a few tears were painted on. Tonight instead of being the happy go lucky, cheer anyone up Jester, he would be the grumpy, sad, and angry Joker. The Character was an emotional nightmare waiting to happen. So bring it on!

So here we go

Billy Andrews, Aka The Jester, Superhero

Goals: Find the Chaos Gods, Convince Kelly you are the one she should be with. Convince Thunderbird that You are Kelly’s true love.

Interesting set of goals. No small order of course, considering that the two were already married J Well I guess every wedding reception needs THAT guy.

I had been given the low down from Piko the talking dog, reliable source of information for all our age appropriate plots, that the Chaos gods were in attendance. I knew Coyote would be there for sure, and some of the others. But who? That was to be revealed. I had a pre larp mail from the Coyote wanting me to dish on Thunderbird. Seriously tempted, but without actually any dirt, I declined, mocked him, and moved on. Thanks Dale, good fun J I made a decision early on that this story would be about the Jester’s emotional rollercoaster. Come what may he wasn’t going to be overly interested in routing out the Chaos gods. So I think throughout the night the only time I interacted with this plot was when I told everyone for sure that Coyote was in the building, along with his friends. After all Piko wouldn’t lie! For some reason this had people suspecting the Jester of being Coyote! WTF Zomg Roflcopter. The Jester saves Babies! Not eats them…Wait hang on…well Coyote’s are like Dingos right?

The night starts with the bride and groom entering and Billy having an early start on the drinks menu. I figure there is no way Billy is in anyway happy that Ultima, his BFF and love of his life, is married, so the best way to make that known is to pointedly cheer for Kelly, and not Jack. Kara of course catches onto what’s going on and gives Billy the lecture to behave. Billy just shrugs and walks off to the corner of the room alone, while the bridal party take there seats and the speeches begin.

The speeches continue on with the usual praising of the bride and groom. All very drole until we get to the Best Man’s speech. He dished some dirt on the groom and I suddenly thought I may have a chance at showing Kelly that Thunderbird was not only a stick in the mud, but also less than squeaky clean. Well ummmm yes I suppose if you were in the mud, you wouldn’t be clean. Goes without saying really….

So I continue to sulk in the corner waiting for the speeches to end. Kara stands up and says her bit before looking straight at me and saying she was going to get Billy to say a few words. Dear god no! My words are not really for the ears of Stillwaters finest. Thankfully she agrees before I have to say anything and the night progresses.

So I mingle, drinking heavily in my unfun funk. I happen across one of Jack’s coworkers. A really interesting accountant who managed to bore the pants off me 0.3 seconds flat. Almost a record. Jack holds it at -.01 seconds. Boy is he fast! Must be the ChunderBird

Looking around I see Kara and ask if the mild mannered accountant wanted to meet her, figuring perhaps I could set her up. He straightened up his tie and followed on. Introducing them to each other I made a quick comment and smile and made my hasty exit. Only to be tracked down soon after by an angry Kara demanding to know what I was thinking. I shrugged, and said “What? I thought you would be good together. Him an accountant, and you part calculator.” Kara for some reason didn’t like that and stormed off. Women. Sheesh. Back to the drinking and looking for entertainment.

Before the next mischief I get cornered by Kara again. We go to one side and have a leisurely chat while I suck down more vodka. She told me she was concerned about me and that it wasn’t healthy what I was doing *Intervention alert* Saying that if I really cared about Kelly that I would let her go and be happy with Jack. I really didn’t want any part of it so I put up the walls, made a joke, and changed the subject. Piko was the first thing to come to mind so I suggested we find the Chaos Gods. Coyote was obviously around, but we didn’t know where. We went straight to Justin (The best man, and later found out to be possessed by Coyote) but he had no clue (wonder why). We asked around and surmised some suspects. Top of our list was the wedding planner and the building proprietor. We focused on the wedding planner since she looked the most dodgy, but was quickly distracted by the reports of a sword being brought into the reception.

I passed on investigating since sword wielding maniacs weren’t really my shtick anymore. I sat down and listened to a few peoples conversations while drinking Vodka and devouring candy by the truckload. I think I sat down to Detective Stone and gave him some slight nudging that Coyote was about and he should really be detecting. He said it was a party full of supers and it was really our deal. After all he was just a normal. I guess he had me there. He was pretty normal…except for that horrid shirt he was wearing.

At one point Valeria the Magnificent came down and sat next to me . She blurted out in a ‘my friend likes your friend’ kind of way that Kara was great eh? And that she totally likes you. I didn’t know quite what to make of it at this point so I just dismissed it and went with the ‘Kelly Blinkers’. Definitely more entertaining if I remained oblivious for a while longer.

I did the rounds trying to be as charming as a drunk depressed funny man could be. I hit along Raven, who being one of my best buds, struggling under the yoke of the depressive Raptor, and secretly in love all around ace girl Ichiko. He was depressed. Figured since we were so tight we were probably just feeling each others pain. I gave him some words of advice and went to needle Raptor a little for getting in the way of true love. Also must be said the reason was not because she wasn’t nice, or broke, but because she was asian. Sigh, some brothers just don’t learn.. Bryn did his best to remain straight faced in the barrage of wit from Billy (which to be fair was not very witty and kind of insulting – as drunks tend to be). The Jester tired of needling Raptor and went on his way.

He finally found himself face to face again with Kara, who sat him down in the main room. She seemed desperate to let him know something, perhaps she was anxious or sad. Either way she wasn’t laughing, which around the Jester was a serious crime. I stated out with a classic joke about perhaps we could have Google installed in her so to help our investigations. (As a player I knew what was coming, but I wanted to make this as anguished as possible, so I did everything I could to dehumanise her and focus on her machine part through Jokes) She again tried to get me to give up on Kelly (No way in hell!) and then finally when she gave up she said she couldn’t be my partner anymore because it hurt too much to see him everyday, I retorted with another dehumanising joke about her being made of metal and super strong. That did it of course and Kara stood up and yelled at Billy “"You've worked with me for years and you never realised I love you!". Billy was of course shocked. His best friend next to Kelly had just spelled it out in a way that meant he could not deflect it. Thankfully just as Kara finished the room was hushed and it was time for Jack and Kelly to cut the cake. Exit stage left.

I didn’t know what to do so I headed straight for my touch stone. My centre. It was basically now or never so I found Kelly and we had a little heart to heart. I told her that Kara was going to leave me and join the league. She seemed real surprised and asked me why this was happening. Quickly I deflected by asking her an important question. “What would you do if you loved someone but they didn’t know? Would you tell them, even if it could have terrible consequences?” No doubt Kelly thought I was talking about Kara, but of course I wasn’t. She said that I should totally tell them. Never one to deny my BFF and eternal love I took a big breath in and embarked on what I knew would happen at some stage that night. I told her that Kara was leaving because she was in love with me, but I wasn’t in love with her. I was in love with another. When she asked me who, in an almost girls gossiping tone, all I could manage was a hushed whisper “You.”

Shit just got real

She was back peddling asking why I didn’t say sooner, why wait til today? I saw a glimmer of hope and asked if it would have made a difference. I desperately wanted her to say Yes!. Instead she got up and said she didn’t know and needed time to think. She turned around and walked off never looking back as I watched her go. Strangely I felt relieved.

I wandered up to Gwen and chewed the fat. We obviously knew each other since our days in the Misfits so I asked her a favour. I needed to know real bad whether there was –any- dirt on Thunderbird including the supposed Stag Do photos. At this stage Jester was kind of desperate for anything to use in proving to Kelly that he wasn’t perfect and with that he was just like every other guy, except I made her laugh and he was as entertaining as watching paint dry. Sadly she came back with nothing. Despondent I moved on to getting the gos myself. If I remember right about here I had Valeria and Kara chase me around in order to determine whether I was Coyote. Kara wanted to know since obviously the Billy she loved wasn’t a Jerk, and that the only answer was that he must be possessed! Sadly that wasn’t to be. The Jester really was just being a Jerk to someone he cares for Not intentionally, but when your hurt your hurt. Sometimes that’s the rub eh?

I snuck up beside Jack at this stage and slipped in a few innuendo jokes about being Gay, all just trying to see how he would react. In the Joke all things are revealed and I used my super power. Sadly he wasn’t. Drat!

I got involved with my teen Super Hero Buddies who were full of Vim and Pep. They were ready to find out about the Chaos gods but also had the low down on Raptor. Apparently he was a ghost or undead or something. Of course it all added up! No one alive could be that morose. It seemed even freshly dug corpses had more life than him. Of course it must be said that Kitty Hawk and Sparrow had become good friends of mine during the night. I let them know that I was hip and cool by making sure I spoke their language. A few Gnarly, Totally Awesome, and Righteous sorted them out. Now we were on the same wavelength and ready to work together!

I saw Raptor in the lobby and decided to go have a chat. I didn’t really beat around the bush, or tree, or whatever Raptors perch on. I needled him and made remarks about being as lifeless as a corpse. He didn’t take the bait and just like before he defeated me with boredom. Stink. Raven was close by obviously not too impressed and I think he had got wind of my love affair with Kelly since before I knew it I was in a corner with Kelly and Raven. Raven asked plain straight whether I loved her, and with the biggest puppy dog eyes I could muster I looked at the love of my life, nodded, and said Yes. Raven told us that he cared for the both of us and that he wanted it to work out. At this stage he left and was immediately replaced with Jack, who know doubt saw me chatting up his, errr my woman. We squared off and Billy let fly about just how wrong he was for her, and how he didn’t make her laugh like he did. The Jester tried everything bar one. Even in his most frustrated he couldn’t bear to tell Jack that Kelly had feelings for him. It would hurt Kelly, so if it was to happen she would need to do it since Billy didn’t want to hurt her. Jester couldn’t get a rise out of him and with one option left he bit his tongue and stormed off. Defeated

I wandered around aimlessly. There was a showdown with Galahad the accountant and Loki. A few whispered words into Galahads ear had that Chaos God dealt with. Surprisingly it was Lem the building manager. Not surprising was that he was on our list! Shame we concentrated on the wedding planner.

Justin the best man stumbled in with a huge headache and a loss of time. He was Coyote.

About this stage I saw Kelly and we talked. She informed me of her decision and the fact she had strong feelings for Billy, but she was married and was going to stay with Jack.. As much as it hurt, the Jester had always been fighting a losing battle. I accepted it and hugged her tightly. We went our separate ways.

Of course who would be just around the corner but the girl he could always rely on. Kara. I sidled up, mustering the best smile I could. She smiled back and I asked if she would still be my partner. No sense in breaking up such a winning team, and there is always Grannies to save and dastardly plots to uncover. She asked if she was wasting her time with the feelings she had. I replied honestly. I just didn’t know. It was just too soon. With that they decided that the only way forward was to dance to house music and Rave. There may have even been the Robot performed.

And that was game end

Lots of props. Not many slops. All in all it was good fun. Of note I got to tell my Pagliacci Clown story twice as a little homage to the Comedian from Watchman.

Quote:
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."
SamW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your costume was awesome! It matched my idea of Jester perfectly.

It was a load of fun and would happily play again.
Ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you my dear, The dress you had was gorgeous and you were a pleasure to play across Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> LARPS All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: