NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Book Depository: anyone tried it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tancred



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 60
Location: Auckland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Having recently moved back to NZ, I came across the Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/) and noticed they seem to stock a fair few RPG titles - for instance you can pick up Barbarians of Lemuria for just under 15, with free shipping worldwide.

Has anyone tried ordering from them? Good or bad experience?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 84
Location: Wellingtonian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time. Love the site. And yes, free shipping, so if I see just one book I want, bam, it's brought!

Cheaper than other places (esp Amazon, esp when shipping accounted for).

Also note there is the American version, http://www.bookdepository.com which is worth checking for more American located books which might be cheaper than the UK store.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good things about the book depository.

FWIW I find that Mighty Ape (a NZ version of Amazon) has been very good at mainstream RPG products and board games. Also Noble Knight Games is my preferred international seller and they have very good shipping rates for an international seller.
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taxboy



Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 519

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, why did i not know about this before!!

Just ordered two rpg books, cheaper base price than amazon and when add no shipping!!!

Range is a bit smaller but definitely good to look at the differences between US and uk site as big price difference on same books..
_________________
Welcome to our agreed reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glock-9mm
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty Ape are very good but the only down point is that you do have to be a littlle paitant when you order, my pathfinder stuff normally takes 2 weeks to get to me as they order it in from the US. Smile

But thats the price you pay for cheaper books.
_________________
Running: No Kingdom for Old Men [PF]
Playing Dans Pathfinder Game Glock-9mm's Blog Click Here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
taxboy



Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 519

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I have heard good things about the book depository.

FWIW I find that Mighty Ape (a NZ version of Amazon) has been very good at mainstream RPG products and board games. Also Noble Knight Games is my preferred international seller and they have very good shipping rates for an international seller.


I buy heaps from Mighty ape, esp fiction books and now i have signed up for no shipping in NZ, every little thing i want, buy buy buy!!!

Between Mighty Ape and RPG now daily emails I am a perfect consumer!
_________________
Welcome to our agreed reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
Mighty Ape are very good but the only down point is that you do have to be a littlle paitant when you order, my pathfinder stuff normally takes 2 weeks to get to me as they order it in from the US. Smile

But thats the price you pay for cheaper books.


It depends on what you buy I guess. If you preorder early enough, I have been getting D&D4e stuff on the same day they are released in the US Smile
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glock-9mm
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
You know me, I don't follow release dates, I normally just wait for Conan to tell me something is coming out and then buy it after I looked at his copy! lol.


Smile Totally cool. Just thought it was worth noting as I have been impressed with their speed on Dark Sun and the Red Box.
_________________
Running: No Kingdom for Old Men [PF]
Playing Dans Pathfinder Game Glock-9mm's Blog Click Here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Glock-9mm
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Tancred wrote:
Having recently moved back to NZ, I came across the Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/) and noticed they seem to stock a fair few RPG titles - for instance you can pick up Barbarians of Lemuria for just under 15, with free shipping worldwide.

Has anyone tried ordering from them? Good or bad experience?



Did u have to pay tax on it on the way here?
_________________
Running: No Kingdom for Old Men [PF]
Playing Dans Pathfinder Game Glock-9mm's Blog Click Here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 2697

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
Tancred wrote:
Having recently moved back to NZ, I came across the Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/) and noticed they seem to stock a fair few RPG titles - for instance you can pick up Barbarians of Lemuria for just under 15, with free shipping worldwide.

Has anyone tried ordering from them? Good or bad experience?



Did u have to pay tax on it on the way here?


I believe the answer is "No".
_________________
Playing: Doomstones (WFRP2e); Shades of Terra (Exalted: Dragonblooded)
Running: Thousand Thrones (WFRP2e)
Planning: Incarnadine Crucible (Exalted: Alchemicals); Tale of Twin Kings, Angels of Death and the Lover Who Stole All Things (Exalted 1e)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thad



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 84
Location: Wellingtonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:

Did u have to pay tax on it on the way here?


I believe the answer is "No".


I believe the same. (Haven't paid anything other than the price on the site.)

That said, from the UK, probably includes VAT in the price, which we don't have to pay, but, eh, too much bother to sort that out and it is already cheaper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
itowlson



Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK doesn't have VAT on books -- that's why Amazon UK doesn't discount books to overseas customers the way it does CDs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mikeythorn



Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 364
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Book Depository all the time and it is brilliant. The only thing I have noticed is that larger items seem to take a few days (or even a week) longer than small ones. A paperback novel might take a week to arrive, but a hard-back RPG book might take two weeks.
_________________
My favourite roleplaying memory - "Daisy at Colonus", two drunk cowboys and a pantomime cow in a 'reinterpretation' of Sophocles greatest play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tancred



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 60
Location: Auckland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Glock-9mm wrote:
Tancred wrote:
Having recently moved back to NZ, I came across the Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/) and noticed they seem to stock a fair few RPG titles - for instance you can pick up Barbarians of Lemuria for just under 15, with free shipping worldwide.

Has anyone tried ordering from them? Good or bad experience?



Did u have to pay tax on it on the way here?


I believe the answer is "No".


That's my impression as well - I haven't used them myself, but my wife ordered some books and they were just at the listed price.

I didn't know there was a US version, or Mighty Ape - I'll check these out. I'm guessing the US Version might have a wider range of US-based RPGs too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dragonator



Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Wellington

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Book Depository: anyone tried it? Reply with quote

I order almost all my D&D books from bookdepository, really great prices, free shipping, you couldn't ask for more! Great offers for pre-orders too, usually 25% off, and prompt delivery to our little corner of the world.

thad wrote:

That said, from the UK, probably includes VAT in the price, which we don't have to pay, but, eh, too much bother to sort that out and it is already cheaper.

This is true, however if you order from www.bookdepository.com instead of the UK site the prices are in general a little cheaper as they exclude the VAT. Smile
_________________
~Dragonator
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group