NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best RPGs of 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sophmelc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Here's mine:

1. Apocalypse World. Wonderfully evokes the world (well, enough that the rest naturally comes out in play). The mechanics create great stories - I've had the edge of my seat feeling as dice fall, to see if it is a good or bad roll, but never as often. Fun to MC (=GM) as well, with a nice, natural flow to things.

2. Fiasco. Never has failing at terrible plans been so much fun.

I agree with all this. The other games that have popped up on my radar, but that I haven't read or played are:
Remember Tomorrow
Smallville
Eclipse Phase

Blog - Mostly Geek
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Conan wrote:
In fact, I'd argue that it isn't intended to be played as a one-off but as a short campaign. A filler between longer games.

I think the term "one-off" encompasses short campaigns. The essential element is that you can pick it up and play it for a short finite length of time with no expectation that it will continue.

So what's your cut off for a "one-off" 2 sessions? 3? 5? 10, but all of one adventure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
So what's your cut off for a "one-off" 2 sessions? 3? 5? 10, but all of one adventure?

How long is a piece of string?

I don't know if there is much value in tracking an objective limit. It has more to do with the overall focus of the system's purpose.

With Gammaworld, it is clearly designed to have set boundaries to the experience and provide a "one-off" experience, be it 1 session or 5. Not many other RPGs in the mainstream have that purpose.
thad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space should be on this list... but it ain't...
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thad wrote:
Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space should be on this list... but it ain't...

Good catch. I suspect it might be but I am not a big Dr Who fan and have not really seen much of the RPG.
Conan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Conan wrote:
In fact, I'd argue that it isn't intended to be played as a one-off but as a short campaign. A filler between longer games.

I think the term "one-off" encompasses short campaigns. The essential element is that you can pick it up and play it for a short finite length of time with no expectation that it will continue.

I have always worked on the understanding that "One-off" is one session at any given time and no campaign.

Because if you are running multiple sessions in a row, it's not one-off, is it. You're playing more than one game. And you might come back and play again in another campaign.

For me a one-off is definitely one game session and it is a bit of a mystery to me why the term would be used for anything else.

Conan
Conan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:

How long is a piece of string?

I don't know if there is much value in tracking an objective limit. It has more to do with the overall focus of the system's purpose.

With Gammaworld, it is clearly designed to have set boundaries to the experience and provide a "one-off" experience, be it 1 session or 5. Not many other RPGs in the mainstream have that purpose.

I'm going to have to disagree here. It seems with the cards and the detail of the expansions, this is not intended to be a one-off experience. It is intended to be a limited release. Two different things. The rules outline a full RPG and the expansions aren't just more adventures but expand the campaign options available.

I think "One-off" is a very inaccurate analysis of the product.
For some people it can be treated as such, but I get the distinct impression from the game that it is intended for more than one-off play.

Conan
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Because if you are running multiple sessions in a row, it's not one-off, is it. You're playing more than one game. And you might come back and play again in another campaign.

I am not sure if that question is rhetorical. If it isn't, then I can see a multiple session game being referred to as a one off. Again, what is more important is not session number or length but the attitude of the players to the experience and how this is reflected in the ruleset.

I agree with morgue that GW is clearly designed to for a one-off style play experience. YMMV

Conan wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree here. It seems with the cards and the detail of the expansions, this is not intended to be a one-off experience. It is intended to be a limited release. Two different things.

FWIW my comments were not on the fact that it is a limited release. So that was not a confusion I made.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thad's definitely right with giving props to DWATAS. Great game. And despite not having my name on the cover or my writing in the text, I had more influence on this game than on ICONS. (Along with Thad who was in playtest group with me.)

Luke wrote:

I agree with morgue that GW is clearly designed to for a one-off style play experience. YMMV

I agree with myself too. My impression of looking over descriptions of play is that people aren't starting Gamma World campaigns, they're playing one-session wonders (that sometimes spill over into a second session). That's totally not the behaviour you see around 4E.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any Gamma World being offered at KapCon (or before in play tests)? I'd be interested in have a play.

Blog - Mostly Geek
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sophmelc wrote:
Is there any Gamma World being offered at KapCon (or before in play tests)? I'd be interested in have a play.

Hah, you fall into my carefully laid trap Smile

I am running GW in round 4: http://kapcon.rpg.net.nz/?q=node/401

Be warned, the play test involved a psychotic sentient Xmas tree PC with an Uzi wielding Angel.

TBH I think GW would make an excellent GoD offering too.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
I agree with myself too. My impression of looking over descriptions of play is that people aren't starting Gamma World campaigns, they're playing one-session wonders (that sometimes spill over into a second session). That's totally not the behaviour you see around 4E.

That's not actual my impression. I see more people running GW campaigns, though these are normally only around 4 to 6 sessions in length.

What is universal is that people are embracing GW for the most part as it provides an interesting diversion without any notion that a greater investment of time, money or thought is required.
morgue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
That's not actual my impression. I see more people running GW campaigns, though these are normally only around 4 to 6 sessions in length.

Curse you for having a different impression than me! CURSES!

But yes, general point stands. Intending on a short-run is not default 4E behaviour.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
Luke wrote:

Curse you for having a different impression than me! CURSES!

But yes, general point stands. Intending on a short-run is not default 4E behaviour.

Very Happy Yeah. If you get hung up on limiting yourself to X sessions, I agree that GW is generally being embraced for the exact reasons you refer too.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A random GW image of a 3 PC party:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: