NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enticing GMs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sophmelc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Enticing GMs Reply with quote

Following on from Idiots flaming hair post and this from Liam:

Quote:
Maybe you could convince Idiot to swap my Round 1 and Round 3 games.

By the way are GMs still getting priority of choice? I vaguly remember something like that last year or am I imagining it?

It might be enough to entice a few more GMs if they do.

What other ideas are out there to convince more people to GM?

So far there is:
    Run something you've run before
    Run an SDC entry
    Run a bought scenario

What else?

Blog - Mostly Geek
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you reach the end of the convention, there could be a party, with cake.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Note: running a game at Kapcon is not like surviving a GladOS test sequence)
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
(Note: running a game at Kapcon is not like surviving a GladOS test sequence)

That's dead right Mike! Running a game at KapCon is only as much pressure as you apply to yourself. And if you do want to really compare yourself to the "big name" GMs, bear in mind that they've all had mis-steps and that they didn't start out as bigshots. (The worst game I played at K18 was by Luke! Also the best game of that con, but still: nobody's perfect! 1 from 2 each way. Smile )

I think some people feel like their first game has got to be in the running for best game - that just ain't so. I basically just aim to run games where people don't leave or fall asleep half way through! Smile

The other thing is that it gets easier each time... but you've got to start somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely - I've talked to a few people who say they're worried about their game not measuring up to the others offered, but everyone's in the same boat. We're all just normal people running a game.

Some people like to put a ton of work in to make it perfect (or close), but you need not aim that high. Personally, I go for "low stress, high fun" these days, thus games on demand!

There's also the issue of running a game for people you don't know, which is intimidating, but everyone coming to a game at Kapcon is primed and ready to have fun. That makes new people pretty easy to run a game for, in my experience.
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I think some people feel like their first game has got to be in the running for best game - that just ain't so. I basically just aim to run games where people don't leave or fall asleep half way through! Smile

My standard is to "run a game that doesn't suck". That way, I don't intimidate myself out of running.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always have it as a badge of honour that I've run what Luke has described as the worst convention game he's ever played - back in '99!

Thing is... even for that game I had fun. Smile

When I returned to KapCon in 06 after my hiatus I ran Be Home By Dark, which was based around the "Zombie Mall" floor plans put out by Steve Jackson games. It was a slasher horror game, with the night cleaning staff being picked off one by one. After angsting for ages about it, I got some really great advice on running it: just have some bad shit happen wherever the PCs happen to be, and be constantly trying to split the party. Having the map, and having such a loose plan made the game super easy, and everyone had a good time.

[edit]

Aside from prop-based games like that, I also recommend games like Dread, where the Jenga tower does a huge amount of the work for you in terms of building tension in a horror game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tog42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
There's also the issue of running a game for people you don't know, which is intimidating, but everyone coming to a game at Kapcon is primed and ready to have fun. That makes new people pretty easy to run a game for, in my experience.

Definitely. I find running a game at a con far easier than a regular session. If you can survive the play test the full run is a breeze!

GMs get incentive from discounted entry and a preferential game selection for each round they run. You also earn the organisers eternal gratitude. Smile

The main thing for me is always that you get to sit around with a bunch of like-minded individuals for three hours and have a blast.
Interested in Playing: Cortex Plus, Shadowrun, Any Supers Game
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I oont have any major issues running Games at Cons.. I have this theory you see... I will only likely see you all once every 2 years and if its a bad game that ok... You will have forgotten it by next year! lol.

Note: It's 2 years because I no longer do Back to Back Kapcons.
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock-9mm wrote:
I oont have any major issues running Games at Cons.. I have this theory you see... I will only likely see you all once every 2 years and if its a bad game that ok... You will have forgotten it by next year! lol.

Note: It's 2 years because I no longer do Back to Back Kapcons.

Whoops... Missed the point...

How to Entice GM's?

• Well some of the comments surrounding GMs running more than one game annoyed me in the lead up this year... So stopping those..
  • GMs get a GM get a GM Pack, It consists of a Power Drink, Lynx and a finger Puppet
  • GMs get a Limited offer discount card at some shop
  • GMs get veto rights over their players (I like this but i know for a fact it isnt worth the hassle for a lotta reasons) Smile

Jenni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if I don't want to smell like Lynx?

;p
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:

;p

Then replace it with Crushed Fairy Bones?
NickPitt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:

;p

In America, 'Lynx' is called 'Axe'.

If I asked you if you wanted to smell like an Axe, would that be more appealing? Wink
Dale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for me to imagine that there are any strategies that will entice people who have previously GM'd at Kapcon, but currently don't want to (for whatever reason), to suddenly want to run a game.

My view is that the GM pool actually needs to be grown from new people and that this needs to happen a lot sooner, because nobody really wants to be enticed to run a game at a 'con with less than a fortnight's notice - especially a 'con where people post reviews and feedback of the games they play.

I suggest we need Kapcon ambassadors, who are actively stimulating interest and getting people excited (and committed) months before Kapcon itself. I further suggest that such folks actually need to seek out new groups and players during the year. There are plenty of folks out there already who could do this, and some who already do, but I think to be successful such a scheme would need a greater level of organisation, planning and support as well as a degree of formalisation.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
And if you do want to really compare yourself to the "big name" GMs, bear in mind that they've all had mis-steps and that they didn't start out as bigshots. (The worst game I played at K18 was by Luke! Also the best game of that con, but still: nobody's perfect! 1 from 2 each way. Smile )

Do you mean Dark Heresy at K17? If so, that's fair. That year my civic pride in bein unable to go to Kapcon without contributing a game got the best of me Smile

I am not sure what the second half of the bracket means though.

FWIW I think a better example to encourage new GMs is that Jenni won top GM the first year she ran at Kapcon IIRC. The Kapcon GMing field is good but most GMs are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 20 (2011) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: