NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enticing GMs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously who are considered big draws changes over time.

I dont even know who 2 of those Dan mentioned are and always considered the big names to be Luke, Michael, Conan, Jenny and Dale.

Morgue always had a rep, I am biased when it comes to Nick but he never seems to have problems getting players and Nick P also seems to have a following.

Of course this will only be my tenth Kapcon so anyone who was around before that wont be known by me.

Also the ones that I started to think had a good reputation where in part playing with them and in part how everyone at Kapcon talked about them- even before I really knew who they were.

I guess where I am going with this is the Big Name GM's are kind of by default determined by asking people around who are the top GM's you can think of and seeing what the common names are. Or something.

Smile
AndyM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

The curse of round four! We expect it to be smaller due to post-larp exhaustion and people's general desire for a snooze, but we don't know by how much. So there's a danger of overproviding and GMs not having to run. Which will dissapoint anyone (unless they already feel that they're running too much), but is particularly bad for new GMs.

On reflection I think it might have actually been round five that it occurred in, but I think your points are still really valid. I also agree with suggestions made regarding considering preferential filling and some kind of acknowledgement.

Also, to add another level of complexity, I think we need to be careful when talking about inciting 'new GMs' not to lump everyone together. A 'new GM' could either be someone who is new to GMing or it could be a experience GM who is new to running games at Kapcon.

In my mind both these groups need to be treated slightly differently. People who haven't GMed before could really appreciate the feedback from more experience GMs to give them comfort and encouragement, whereas experienced GMs who are running for the first time at Kapcon may just need a personal thank you or a pat on the back. Just something to keep in mind...
http://rpgwtf.blogspot.com/
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Hmm... sorry to say it, but the original use of the term didn't include you Monkey...

But his name is bigger than any of them. 11 letters! He doesn't even need to change the font size!

Quote:
Of course, the term evolves... Smile

Yes. A larger con with more variety means no common experience, and not really any common perception anymore of whose games are worth killing to get into.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:
A larger con with more variety means no common experience, and not really any common perception anymore of whose games are worth killing to get into.

Yep. The term no longer really has much meaning IMO, like it did in the old days. This is not a bad thing, though I agree with Dan in that the term and it's use had it's place back then.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:
I dont even know who 2 of those Dan mentioned are and always considered the big names to be Luke, Michael, Conan, Jenny and Dale.

Which illustrates the point in how awesome Kapcon GMing is subjective in two ways:

- Jenni is a relative newcomer to Kapcon GMing compared to the other 4.
- I have never won the top GM award at Kapcon, where I am pretty sure the other four have.

Experienced GMs will reliably bring the fun, but anyone can ring people's bells at Kapcon. That's one of it greatest strengths.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
Also, to add another level of complexity, I think we need to be careful when talking about inciting 'new GMs' not to lump everyone together. A 'new GM' could either be someone who is new to GMing or it could be a experience GM who is new to running games at Kapcon.

In my mind both these groups need to be treated slightly differently. People who haven't GMed before could really appreciate the feedback from more experience GMs to give them comfort and encouragement, whereas experienced GMs who are running for the first time at Kapcon may just need a personal thank you or a pat on the back. Just something to keep in mind...

Though I think these are good points it's this kind of uncertainty and complexity that will derail the concept from an organisational POV.

If we want a best new GM award, I think it has to be anyone who is GMing for the first time at Kapcon. Trying to evaluate their GMing experience outside of Kapcon is tricky and arguably not something Kapcon's should attempt.

So, I think that the likes of the buddy system should be optional to the GM, but the best new GM award needs to be based on new to Kapcon only.
AndyM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:

Though I think these are good points it's this kind of uncertainty and complexity that will derail the concept from an organisational POV.

If we want a best new GM award, I think it has to be anyone who is GMing for the first time at Kapcon. Trying to evaluate their GMing experience outside of Kapcon is tricky and arguably not something Kapcon's should attempt.

So, I think that the likes of the buddy system should be optional to the GM, but the best new GM award needs to be based on new to Kapcon only.

Oh sure in terms of a 'new GM' award I agree. The award can be open to anyone who GMs for the first time at Kapcon. But in terms of a long term strategy of recruiting new GMs, then the two groups do have targeted/supported in slightly different ways,
http://rpgwtf.blogspot.com/
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
Oh sure in terms of a 'new GM' award I agree. The award can be open to anyone who GMs for the first time at Kapcon. But in terms of a long term strategy of recruiting new GMs, then the two groups do have targeted/supported in slightly different ways,

Fair comment.
morgue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to sound off that I frikkin' love this community and what it has become thanks to the efforts of dozens and dozens of people over the last decade-and-a-half. I mean seriously, at heart this is a discussion about community building and there's a dozen or so people making damn useful, smart comments and everyone agreeing on most premises and no-one's doing ego stuff and the problem itself is one that shows we're doing a lot of stuff right... I mean, sometimes I just want to take a step back and look at what we have here. This community is the envy of the world. I've never come into contact with a gaming scene that can match it. High fives all 'round.

And all this good stuff is part of the solution, I think. Something that's easy to skip over in our messaging because we don't realize how exceptional it is to have a functional community of practice. Instead of having it unspoken, make it explicit.

So I'd add to Mash's post, where he says "We can assist with these problems by", adding:

* letting it be known (and showing where possible) that the Kapcon community has a strong tradition of welcoming and supporting new talent.

It might seem like a small point, even an unnecessary one, but I see value in putting it out front and showing it off. Everything else hangs off this. Saying it gives our audience a frame of reference for the rest.

Saying is important. Words have power too.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artemis
Quote:

And that illustrates the point oh so clearly. While I disagree with Luke that the "Big Name GMs" has lost its value as a phrase, IMO it is a term that changes definition with every new KapCon.

Morgue
Quote:
letting it be known (and showing where possible) that the Kapcon community has a strong tradition of welcoming and supporting new talent.

Good point. And at the moment the responsibility of every past (and present) Kapcon attendee....

In fact one of the values that I see at Kapcon, and one I promote whereever possible, is that Kapcon was a variety con. It has so much more variety than any other 'con I have been too - and in order to get that variety in games, new talent was and is always encouraged, supported and welcomed....

So, as Morgues post last year... at pre-con drinks, at the 'con, lets make that effort to say hi to someone you don't know. Let them know that this community is ... well, welcoming, supporting, encouraging... in essence the best RPG community in the world for those reasons.
Jenni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Awwww! *blush* Thanks!

um, that's all. Just bringing in some ego for Morgue ;p
Tuoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam wrote:

I have always thought that there should be more options around play testing and mentoring prior to Kapcon. I know a lot of us use our existing groups but this does not really simulate the brand new players environment of Kapcon well and it seems to me a bit crazy that we have multiple GMs preparing new games and wanting to play test them.

Hi all, this is a good idea. I ran a game last year and was planning on doing one this year but a mixture of being busy (my fault) and a lack of playtesters means I havent really got my game organised yet so wont be able to run it next weekend (holy shit next weekend!). if there was some sort of planning of playtesting that would be really helpful and also motivate me to get my game finished as well Smile
and cthulhu (1920s NZ) and roman invictus
MikeSands

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any newish/prospective GMs reading this think that it would be helpful to have a "running games at Kapcon" workshop, maybe in early December or so?

I'm sure a few of us grizzled veterans would be able to make time to give some advice, maybe playtest some scenarios, and generally have a chat about what to expect, how the 3 hour convention slot plays out and that sort of thing.
Tuoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Do any newish/prospective GMs reading this think that it would be helpful to have a "running games at Kapcon" workshop, maybe in early December or so?

I'm sure a few of us grizzled veterans would be able to make time to give some advice, maybe playtest some scenarios, and generally have a chat about what to expect, how the 3 hour convention slot plays out and that sort of thing.

Yup that would be great!
and cthulhu (1920s NZ) and roman invictus
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:

Yeah... I think this would be helpful... Running a 3 hour one-off game with strangers is much more daunting than running a game for your friends!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 20 (2011) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: