NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enticing GMs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nishatalitha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Do any newish/prospective GMs reading this think that it would be helpful to have a "running games at Kapcon" workshop, maybe in early December or so?

Yes, that sounds fantastic.

November might be better; December always gets a bit mad with other events on.
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nishatalitha wrote:

November might be better; December always gets a bit mad with other events on.

I second that!
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I wasn't surprised when George, the biggest Shadowrun guru I knew, ended up in Seattle. Sure, he's got some plausible sounding story about it, but we all know the truth.

Ooo yeah, that's the dream!

Oh well, at least I live in the city of Blade Runner.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenni wrote:
Awwww! *blush* Thanks!

um, that's all. Just bringing in some ego for Morgue ;p

If that's the extent of Kapcon's ego, you're in damn good shape!
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
James P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:
I wasn't surprised when George, the biggest Shadowrun guru I knew, ended up in Seattle. Sure, he's got some plausible sounding story about it, but we all know the truth.

Only a true fan would want to live in a city portrayed in their favourite fiction as a dystopian hell Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NickPitt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeSands wrote:
Do any newish/prospective GMs reading this think that it would be helpful to have a "running games at Kapcon" workshop, maybe in early December or so?

I'm sure a few of us grizzled veterans would be able to make time to give some advice, maybe playtest some scenarios, and generally have a chat about what to expect, how the 3 hour convention slot plays out and that sort of thing.

The last time I remember that we had something like this was with the old WARGs set up. It does sound like a cool opportunity and though I woundn't call myself grizzled, I would be happy to offer some advice on what to expect and how I deal with it.

Even as a return GM, I'd also be keen to hear from other experienced GMs about what advice they might give either preparing or running a game at Kapcon.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:

Wait! When did you move to Tokyo? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even as a return GM, I'd also be keen to hear from other experienced GMs about what advice they might give either preparing or running a game at Kapcon.

Pre-con drinks might be a good place to start asking for advice... also the post-con drinks.

I am unsure about timing however, december/november may be still too late for young GMs.. and generally you would want to give as much lead up time for GMs to sort out everything they need for Kapcon. Yet, too early and the GM loses interest.

As a matter of interest, what sort of lead in time do GMs here take to prep a game? for kapcon that is...
Liam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have games prep'd anywhere from 3 months to 3 days (and still working on it Wink)
Confusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead in time to prep a game? I spent 3-4 months failing to make my brain jucies gel into something proper, and so decided to just offer 3:16 instead. Because civic duty demands I offer something, and it's the only system/setting I feel I have a good enough grasp on to wing.
But then, I'm a really inexperienced GM, and I somewhat get the impression that I'm approaching scenario design from the wrong angles.

I feel like, for me at least, October would've been ideal for that kind of stuff. Not that I'd be able to attend any Wellington based workshops anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MikeSands

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
lead in time to prep a game? I spent 3-4 months failing to make my brain jucies gel into something proper, and so decided to just offer 3:16 instead. Because civic duty demands I offer something, and it's the only system/setting I feel I have a good enough grasp on to wing.
But then, I'm a really inexperienced GM, and I somewhat get the impression that I'm approaching scenario design from the wrong angles.

Well, I think you have it down pat, personally. Offering a game that is low (or no) prep for a session is fine. As long as it is fun on the day - and 3:16 is pretty surefire for that - it doesn't make any difference how much work went in.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
As a matter of interest, what sort of lead in time do GMs here take to prep a game? for kapcon that is...

How long is a piece of string? Smile Mine have varied a lot over the last couple of years. For preparing enough material to run a play-test I tend to find it takes a month or so of percolation through my subconscious and a brainstorming session with someone else. Once the core concepts are established, I can usually get enough material for a playtest together in a week or so. From there the full write-up for the SDC tends to take another 2-3 weeks of steady effort, depending.

Spirit of the Tentacle took a lot longer for the writing-up.
A World of Possibilities was much quicker than this - one week from concept to first draft, another week from first draft to complete game.
The Hand That Feeds was quick initially, but then I spend a long time tinkering with the characters.
The Salt Bond has been longer in brainstorming and shorter to actually write
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
I'm a really inexperienced GM, and I somewhat get the impression that I'm approaching scenario design from the wrong angles.

No two GMs that I've talked in detail with prepare their games particularly similarly. There are some well-known techniques available, but everyone has their own mix of them.
Liam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing my game for a run through at Confusion (the con) - Chaos in Rome - worked well this year all it needed was a re-read and fine tuning, then I went and volunteered to run some more games and put the pressure back on.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an idea, then bullying my sister for content works great for me. Smile
(Although it works better if she's in the same physical location - that way the ping time for tossing ideas back and forth is a lot shorter.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 20 (2011) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: