NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential KapCon GM Workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. We all plan in different ways, and at different times. But what time during your planning process would you most benefit from advice or direction - to simplify the answers

a) Before you have started thinking about what to run

2. What do you think are the barriers for "new" GMs to run games at Kapcon?
The barriers for me are confidence
-that I can run a game that works within the time constraint
-that I can run a game that doesn't suck (I ran for the 1st time two years ago, and it was feeble)
-that my games aren't just weird and inappropriate

3. What do you think are the benefits for a new GM to run a game at Kapcon?

Contributing to the community Smile

4. What skills do you think a GM needs to have, independent of system knowledge to run a game at Kapcon?

5. What format would you think a workshop would be most beneficial to you?

d) Combinations of the above, or other

6. After the workshop, do you think it would be beneficial to have regular contact with the "Grizzled Vets", and in what form do you think it should take?

Ummm, I'm sorted for that I think Smile I have plenty of grizzled support for game development and playtests... I'd recommend that "new" GMs get to play in a gaming group as supportive as ours Smile

7. Would you pay for the workshop?

The cost of the venue, possibly... not much spare cash though!

8. Would you be prepared to share your expertise to newer GMs?

FWIW... I'll always share

10. Finally, what would you want to take away from attending a workshop on GMing?

Tips on timekeeping and how to rescue a game that's flagging... (and the impossible... how to guarantee that my game will be awesome every time)
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest this after the con, during the buzz, but with this thread, I think it makes sense to put it here.

My suggestion:
In October 2011 Every GM that ran at KapCon20 is emailed to see if they would be willing and able to take part in "November Crunch-Testing".

Anyone who wants to take part states something along the lines of "I will keep at Tuesday nights and Thursday nights free for playtesting every week for the month of November".

This would hopefully build up a 'pool' of playtesters. and a list of who is available on short-ish notice to playtest a game. (Exact details to be sorted out if this seems to be a good idea).

Then anyone who wants to playtest in November emails the organiser with a date in November, and the organiser emails back the number of people who are available on that day. Possibly with a step in between to confirm with everyone.

This would make it more likely to be random players, which will more closely simulate the con. The playtesters will also be people who have run at least one Kapcon game, and will be able to give pointers and feedback.

Any thoughts?
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
IdiotSavant wrote:
I'd rather people took the risk of running something unplaytested than not run something at all.

I totally agree. I am just not convinced that a 3 hour playtest is much of a barrier.

It depends on the size of your gaming network and the number of people with discretionary time. You play in a lot of games with a lot of people. I have managed to get my local gaming group together once since August - for a playtest - that process took about a month and a lot of emails to pin down a time that worked.

While there were a lot of extenuating circumstances, but I can easily imagine a GM with a weekly game, whose players are not interested in taking a break for a week to play something new, having enough difficulty putting a playtest group together to discourage him/her beyond the mere 3 hours of play time.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen wrote:

-that my games aren't just weird and inappropriate

If you build it, they will come.

Weird is what that Sunday afternoon slot was made for.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is my American social paradigm speaking, but I wonder how many of the problems of enticement could be solved (or ameliorated) by holding regular informal get-togethers - meetups over coffee or beer - to chat about games.

If it's casual and informal you might get a decent amount of drop-in attendance with little pressure. You could make a little sign, you might even get some walk-ups.
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
It depends on the size of your gaming network and the number of people with discretionary time. You play in a lot of games with a lot of people. I have managed to get my local gaming group together once since August - for a playtest - that process took about a month and a lot of emails to pin down a time that worked.

While there were a lot of extenuating circumstances, but I can easily imagine a GM with a weekly game, whose players are not interested in taking a break for a week to play something new, having enough difficulty putting a playtest group together to discourage him/her beyond the mere 3 hours of play time.

Cool.

This reminds me that both WARGS and Confusion could be part of the solution in that they offer ways for Wellington RPGers to run playtests with little to no organisation.
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
This reminds me that both WARGS and Confusion could be part of the solution in that they offer ways for Wellington RPGers to run playtests with little to no organisation.

I wasn't around for the beginning, but my impression is that WARGS was created to do the very thing we're discussing. Is that the case or did I get the wrong end of the stick at some point?
My LJ
MikeSands

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:
I wasn't around for the beginning, but my impression is that WARGS was created to do the very thing we're discussing. Is that the case or did I get the wrong end of the stick at some point?

That was certainly one of the main reasons for it. Also, to see people more often than once a year.
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

Yep.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchangel wrote:

The problem was sustaining a viable level of attendance at a suitable venue; for one reason or another, attendance plunged.

Actually, thinking back, one of my comments would be a shortage of GMs - exactly the problem, as you say, that was intended to be fixed. It seemed like there were one or two stalwarts each week, but not a diversity of people or games. If I understand correctly, this continues to the present, with Grant being basically the only GM in attendance?

Potentially VUWGC could also serve this function. I've totally lost track of who runs that or how often or when...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Actually, thinking back, one of my comments would be a shortage of GMs - exactly the problem, as you say, that was intended to be fixed.

Emphasis mine.

Yep. IMO Wellington has the structures and support in place. It just needs people with the will and time to implement them. As with most of things there is an initial surge of interest which then proves difficult to maintain over time.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. When I was involved with VUWGC, most of my time was spent finding GMs to run demo games for the uninitiated. Which worked pretty well, until I got too tired to do it anymore. (Which was unfortunately coincident with that kind of energy being needed at WARGS)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:

Actually, thinking back, one of my comments would be a shortage of GMs - exactly the problem, as you say, that was intended to be fixed. It seemed like there were one or two stalwarts each week, but not a diversity of people or games. If I understand correctly, this continues to the present, with Grant being basically the only GM in attendance?

Interesting... When I've attended (in the Wargame Supply/Sunday configuration), the opposite has been the case: an oversupply of GMs with only enough players for one or two games. There was a discussion of this on the WARGS forum at some point a couple of years ago.

My point in bringing up WARGS at any rate is that it might offer comparative lessons in how certain approaches to the problem of encouraging new Kapcon GMs might play out.

Also, it might be possible to integrate some of these ideas into the existing WARGS structure.
My LJ
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
Yep. When I was involved with VUWGC, most of my time was spent finding GMs to run demo games for the uninitiated. Which worked pretty well, until I got too tired to do it anymore. (Which was unfortunately coincident with that kind of energy being needed at WARGS)

Yep. This all feeds into my point in that I am not sure that playtesting is really a significant barrier to running at Kapcon. There are opportunities out there, even for those who have a regular weekly gaming group.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke, fundamentally you and I are part of the machine. There's just no real way you and I can make any kind of sensible assessment of what it's like out there. Which is why Dan posted this questionnaire: to see what the machine looks like from the outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 20 (2011) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: