NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you play Monsterhearts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Did you play Monsterhearts? Reply with quote

It was great to play Monsterhearts with so many of you this weekend. It's a first draft, and our games were some of the first playtests that have been run of it. Thanks to everyone for your patience and your willingness to go emo or dark when the game required it.

I took lots of notes from our sessions, to give feedback to the designer. If you have any reflections or suggestions about the game. I'd be particularly interested in:

- mechanics that felt clunky
- any issues you noticed with your character classes
- any confusion you felt about moves (either the basic moves like 'Turn someone on', or your character specific moves).

And it'd also be great to hear about your highlight from the game. Who knows? Perhaps it'll turn up in the final version of the game.

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
Conan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Monsterhearts.

Personally I didn't feel that the mechanics felt clunky, they seemed to be just about right.

I think Strings need to be better explained as to the benefit of having them and using them as they didn't come into play as much in our game as I felt they probably should have.

I also felt that there possibly need to be a few more ways to gain strings, as it did sometimes feel a bit hard to meet the special conditions to gain them.

I think the skins/classes were all quite well developed and personally found them pretty inspirational. Very Happy

One thing I did note was that maybe each skin needs a couple of more move options to choose from - as it did feel that Finn and Elric in our game just ended up with the same moves. Everything else was different, but at least the Fay moves seemed to consist of some moves that just didn't feel particularly clear as to why they would be worth taking.

I think I'd probably need to play a bit more. But I did rate the game a "7" on the score sheet - because I loved it that much. I totally get Jenni's love for it. Very Happy

Conan
Freya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I believe was brought up in our game, the Darkest Self for the Infernal really irked me. When it got brought up, I thought 'Oh, Darkest Self for Infernal is gonna be badass!'

When it turned out to be "Hand over control to GM" I felt kinda let down.

With regards to Darkest Self, I think they were good, but I felt they should have a bit more elbow room. I mean, the idea we came up with, of Jenna completely losing it and Legion taking over was one I seriously enjoyed, but given the definition of Infernal, it wasn't one that would work with every situation, so I think Darkest Selves should be more like system rules just saying "This is what it takes to snap out of it" and leave the actual symptoms for the players and GM to decide.

Alternatively, there could be a list of them specifically offered for each backstory. So, when the backstory is that they traded their soul, they could simply become a walking automaton. When the backstory is that they have infernal blood, their Hot could be reduced to zero and their appearance start reflecting the demonic origins of the power. For the Fae, it could be that they start affecting nature by their very presence, or just lose all morality regarding humans and become utterly cold toward them. Saying 'This is the Darkest Self, period' does not really allow for as much freedom with regard to character creation and development.
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Freya's suggestions, and now that she's raised it, I think there's a similar potential problem with the Ghoul "Darkest Self".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 20 (2011) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: