NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LARP Ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: LARP Ideas Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a bit early but buzzing from Kapcon and discussing how popular the LARP is getting Nick and I came up with an idea we would be willing to write.

Of course other people may have better ideas or may not like ours so I thought I would put it out there and see what people thought. So if you guys could let me know if you would be willing to play this or if you have other ideas/suggestions/criticisms/you just want to say something.

Anyway we were talking about how big the LARP is getting and I proposed a Greek/Roman inspired almost seperate but with some overlap pair of LARPS. On one floor you have about 30 people playing various gods with their own agenda's and plans and on the other floor you have about 70 people playing mortals celebrating the end of the Olympic games (peace accords and an excuse for all the kings to be present as well as priests and various visitors). The Gods can visit the mortal plane if they want- but probably wont need to, the mortals can pray to the gods and messengers can carry information such as prayers back and forwards. Demi gods may be trying to get up to Mount Olympus. But mostly those in the mortal plane will be concerned with other mortals and the gods will mostly be concerned only with other gods with maybe a favoured mortal or demi god they are keeping an eye on.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Bad Idea?

Do you have other ideas? Please propose anything and everything so we can figure out what people might like.

I will be clear I am only volunteering to write if it is this idea because Nick and I have already got some plans.

Hugs

Nasia
Thorog the Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of this idea before, applied to an RPG (a big combo of Agon and Burning Empires, I think). In this case the Gods had a webcam feed into the mortals' room, so they knew what was going on (or, you know, ignored it at will).

And now I can't for the life of me find where I read about it. I've either heard about it on a podcast or somewhere on story-games. I can recall some details but only vaguely - perhaps when I'm not at work I'll either write a big post about it or you can PM/email me and I'll spill whatever I can think of (and any other ideas I'm thinking about at the time).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LARP Ideas Reply with quote

artemis wrote:

Great idea.
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure this is not an original idea Smile Just one we havnt tried yet at Kapcon.

A webcam could be cool.

Hugs
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds intriguing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pushing for a Greek/Roman Larp for years, so I'm a little biased, but you have my full support. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mundens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we wouldn't need costumes... given that in all the pictures I've seen, the Greeks ran around naked at the Olympic games! Smile (1)

Seriously though, we were relatively lucky this year, but in the past heat has been a big issue, so a clothing-light LARP genre would probably be a good idea! (2)

Oh, and I bags Bacchus ! Smile

Also I already have a "Greek" costume from the Shakepeare's death LARP.

(1)I know everyone was expecting me to post something like that so I didn't want to disappoint.

(2)Which maks me think maybe we oughta do a Bay Watch LARP one day?

David Formosa on alt.sex.stories.discussion
nishatalitha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a multi-level LARP sounds intriguing, but I wonder if it would work better if everyone could access both levels? Not necessarily all the rooms, but all levels (I vaguely recall some dissatisfaction about that at the Victorian LARP?).

On the other hand, add another level to it and you have Tartarus (and the Elysian Fields), Earth, and Olympos...
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LARP Ideas Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
artemis wrote:

Great idea.

I have nothing to add to this assessment except my approval.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Highwayman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nishatalitha wrote:
I think a multi-level LARP sounds intriguing, but I wonder if it would work better if everyone could access both levels? Not necessarily all the rooms, but all levels (I vaguely recall some dissatisfaction about that at the Victorian LARP?).

In the past, what has apparently happened is that all of the people go to one of the floors, and no one remains in the other.

This is one of the things we investigated early in the Mafia 2072 Larp.

It's something to think about, definitely.

Cheers
Grant
Conan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also approve of this excellent idea!

However I do think that there should be more need for groups mingling, otherwise it will be two related LARPs rather than one big LARP.

Clearly there is work to do, but I do think that the potential is there for a truly awesome experience. Smile
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think we need to seriously consider writing larger Larps. A lot of people missed out on playing this time around because the Larp had sold out 2 months before the con. The double floor thing might be a necessity... though yeah, it didn't turn out so well last time it was done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason we began discussing this was Nick mentioning that there had been a suggestion to have 2 approx 50 people LARPS rather then one big LARP.

With that in mind I was trying to think of ways that you could have 2 related LARPS that were about 80% seperate but designed to be run together so that the little bit of crossover built in could occur.

If people would prefer one large LARP instead then that is worth knowing.

For the person who mentioned Elysium fields ect we were thinking maybe having a room that was part of the underworld that anyone dead went to to be judged by Hades some time- the gods would be able to enter and the souls able to leave with Hades permission. Either that or have ghost that certain priests ect could see like the wonderful LARP this year had.

Frank- I said celebration after the games for a reason- I expect people would have clothes for that. Or possibly before the games again clothes and women present.

But at the moment this is just a bunch of thoughts and ideas and I am glad there seems to be some interest.
morgue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this concept.

Might I also suggest that another way to handle the increased numbers is to have the same LARP running in two versions on two different floors, with no crossover at all.
Adrexia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morgue wrote:
I like this concept.

Might I also suggest that another way to handle the increased numbers is to have the same LARP running in two versions on two different floors, with no crossover at all.

We talked about that (with minimal crossover) as a sci-fi parallel universe concept Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: