NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LARP Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highwayman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
morgue wrote:
I like this concept.

Might I also suggest that another way to handle the increased numbers is to have the same LARP running in two versions on two different floors, with no crossover at all.

We talked about that (with minimal crossover) as a sci-fi parallel universe concept Very Happy

Now that would be a cool thing for shared-experience value!

Cheers
Grant
artemis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallel universe LARP would be cool- particularly people talking later about what was different in each LARP.

Smile
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, can a mod move this thread to the KapCon 21 forum please?

Second: other concepts that have been mentioned to me so far:
* gangsters (done at boD this year, yes?)
* 1890's or 1920's Egypt
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey its Kapcons 21st birthday..

LARP could be the 21st birthday... beer bongs, unprotected sex and embarrassing photos of Kapcon in the bath at age 2....
housemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two separate Larps with the same basic story and characters but in two different settings, Ancient Rome and modern day for example, could be cool.
icehawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most awesome!

I logged in to post this cool idea I had about how we could include more people in the LARP by running a separate-but-interrelated LARPs, and find that the idea is already aloft and flying. Great to see!

My idea (love it or hate it) was a SciFi bunker LARP (post-apocalypse or at least post-some-disaster) with webcam-and-screen links between areas. Some areas may unexpectedly drop out of communication - or suddenly appear (who the hell are those guys!). Most of those areas then finally actually link and people meet up, eventually, but not until late in the piece does it all come together.

Or not? Is that really Sam on the fuzzy video-link or just a computer simulcrum? And if it's a simulcrum then who the hell is that tunnelling to meet us?

It's a disaster movie scenario - people are dead, people are dying, people are missing in the confusion, some real tension about which groups may or may not make it, or whether any of us are getting out of this alive. Some brutal choices about which other groups to assist ("My god man, you can't just leave them to die!"). Etc.

Some areas cannot join up because we drag in volunteers in Auckland (and possible Chch or Otago or wherever) to help write and run simultaneous segments of the LARP there. Whether they are separate planets, separate spaceships or separate bunkers is vague at this level of planning.

My aim is to involve as many gamers as possible into a single shared event. Even find a role for the board-gamers upstairs on Sat night if we can - give them a Diplomacy-esque war to fight whose results really matters to those downstairs or something.

And if some of those people who strongly prefer table-top gaming to LARPing were interested in being involved in the big Sat night event for a change - well, maybe we could somehow include erratic audio-only com-link to a party or two off exploring somewhere who were running their part of it table-top upstairs.

Costuming: I'd imagined chronically over-dressed rich types (some now sporting bandages in deshabille) mixing with damned scum, uniformed troopers, some robed wierdo religious nuts, etc, etc. But we could toss in anything (even vampire space-pirate ninjas) if we want, it's just the basic framework for running it that I'm imagining at this stage.

Obvious issues: (1) Scale: this beast would involve a lot of enthusiastic people to make it work. (2) Technical issues: we'd need internet access on-site, we'd need people to loan the computers and webcams, and we'd need to then secure them after the LARP.
Thorog the Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
Some areas cannot join up because we drag in volunteers in Auckland (and possible Chch or Otago or wherever) to help write and run simultaneous segments of the LARP there. Whether they are separate planets, separate spaceships or separate bunkers is vague at this level of planning.

This would, unfortunately, mean that the volunteers would miss out on coming up to Wellington for KapCon.

Idiot wrote:
* gangsters (done at boD this year, yes?)

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorog the Slasher wrote:
icehawk wrote:

This would, unfortunately, mean that the volunteers would miss out on coming up to Wellington for KapCon.

I'm sure you'd be able to find volunteers in another city who wouldn't be coming anyway.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
Anarchangel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrexia wrote:
The double floor thing might be a necessity... though yeah, it didn't turn out so well last time it was done.

This is good actually. It allows the mistakes of that LARP to be examined and known problems to be avoided.
Writing: Outta the Walls, A Certain Kind of Decision, FATE Deadlands, other games.
My LJ
artemis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasons I think the last double floor style LARP didn't work:

Everyone on the lower floor had motivations and goals involving the top floor so they all tried and eventually succeeded in getting there.

It was I think about a 60 person LARP so probably not quite big enough to have needed all that space.

Ways to address these:

Dont use all the rooms on either floor thus limiting the space somewhat as has been done in the last couple of LARPS

Either make it impossible to move between floors or give any people that can strong motivations to not move around much. For example using the Greek/Roman idea: The mortals cant go up to mount Olympus without the help of a god. The gods can travel down but it means limiting their power and being away from the other gods who are plotting and planning behind their backs, of course they will care a lot more about what other gods are doing then what mortals are doing. So most people should stay seperate with occasional visits from one to the other.

Or in the case of the Sci Fi one mentioned impossible to meet up until the end when you can have a big get together or something.

If I have missed any reasons why it didnt work about 5 years ago please put them forward.

Some interesting ideas so far I would be keen to play in Sci Fi one mentioned or a parralel universe one and the Egyptian idea sounds neat.

Hugs
Thimble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding the question of size entirely, I think Hong Kong at the turn of the twentieth century might be interesting flavour-wise.

Mixing cultures. Tongs. Rival kung-fu schools. Filthy rich European communities. Poor but hopeful European adventurers. Feng shui masters. Chinese wizards. Wandering martial artist drunkard-heroes. Those pesky Japanese with imperialistic pretensions (I think they were that early). Enormous clan-related soap operas. Spirits from heaven working off karma by volunteering for tragic lives. The August Personage of Jade and all his heavenly bureaucracy being importuned for favours or good weather. Quests for enlightenment. Quests for monetarial advancement. Inspection-tours of hell. Judge-magistrates disguising themselves to investigate wrong-doing. Chinese hopping vampires.

Last edited by Thimble on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
housemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do the everyone trapped in different bunkers idea then surely someone has to be transmitting the Quiz Broadcast
REMAIN INDOORS
Adrexia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemis wrote:

Everyone on the lower floor had motivations and goals involving the top floor so they all tried and eventually succeeded in getting there.

Most people downstairs had reason to go upstairs and many people upstairs had reason to avoid going downstairs. If it had been everyone who had reason to go upstairs that may have worked out. A few of us ended up going upstairs just because we got bored of hanging out in an almost empty room (despite the fact that we had reason to stay downstairs). Wink

I'm not sure if limiting the spaces is the way to go to solve this problem. Maybe making each space unique rather than exclusive.

...but there was a good point there about not actually using all of the space on the current floor. Maybe if we did we could fit 40 more people on the same floor? For the Greek Larp, this could mean having one of the larger side rooms as Olympus (and maybe one of the others as Hades).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Conan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sold on the idea of splitting the LARP up so dramatically. I like the idea of Gods and Mortals having different "zones" and interacting at points - but I worry that having the Gods on a whole other floor will either mean that they rarely engage the rest of the players or it will be a real PITA for the GMs to keep track of what is going on in the two levels.

Moderating a single LARP is a headache enough as it is with 60+ players. Trying to moderate two LARPs and ensure that there is consistency between them? Wowsa.

Not saying it's destined to fail - just that it will be a massive undertaking for whoever takes it on - because you won't be planning a single larp or two larps, but actually three LARPs. Larp 1 = Mortals, Larp 2 = Gods and Larp 3 = the combination between the two.

And you'd need to have moderators not only for the two floors, but someone watching the movement between the two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: