NZRaG
New Zealand Roleplaying and Gaming forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First and second round games for next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdiotSavant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: First and second round games for next year Reply with quote

So, I exploited the post-con high again last night to extract rash promises to run games in the first rounds next year. The following people have already stuck their hands up:

Housemonkey: "Burying the Hatchet", a classic London gangsters story about Don and the boys, which ran at KapCon back when it was in Northland (rounds 1, 3 and 5)
Conan: Hellcats & hockeysticks, about a disturbing girls' school.
Me: "The Archmage's Crown" (by Catnip), a fantasy comedy about a tower full of wizards.
Ian Bayard: Monsters in a Manual
Will Howard
Paul
Nick Cole
Angus Dingwall
Trond
Dana: Monsterhearts, if she can get it (apparently this game really impressed her, to the extent she wants to try running. Go Dana!)
Scott: Diamond Geezers (London gangsters, as a larp. Spoiler-free review here)
Hamish Meads
Liam: Cat-thulu, and some feudal Japan Cthulhu.
Andy Miller
Tigger: The Discarded, a small larp set in an interstellar mutant colony
Mash: somethign in round 2, offering a blurb and 2-line sell by July.

If anyone else wants to volunteer, post here. The con will shrink a bit next year, as HarnCon is off somewhere else, but we'll still be needing a lot of games.

Last edited by IdiotSavant on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am half expecting to see Sophie's countdown for 2012 later today.
hix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsterhearts is a work in progress; it definitely in the first draft / initial playtesting stage (although still heaps of fun!). I'd expect that it'll have been substantially rewritten by next year.

You can find the first draft here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=570.0

It's a hack / adaptation of another game, Apocalypse World, so it may require some familiarity with those rule (although just having played Apocalypse World may be enough).

Gametime! A Kiwi groupblog about RPGs. Come and join the conversation.
multi-dimensional: my script-writing blog.
sophmelc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
I am half expecting to see Sophie's countdown for 2012 later today.

To be honest, I'm a bit too burnt out from this KapCon to start the count down for the next one. But you should feel free Smile

Blog - Mostly Geek
Glock-9mm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may pitch in again next year if I can find another GM to team up with, after the body count of this year I think most would fear joining "The Reaper".

This years Kapcon re inspired me to return again more regularly, so either way I will be there next year for my 13th Kapcon Smile.
housemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First and second round games for next year Reply with quote

IdiotSavant wrote:

Housemonkey: "Burying the Hatchet", a classic London gangsters story about Don and the boys, which rarn at KapCon back when it was in Northland (rounds 1, 3 and 5)

Actually, it was 2003 when I first ran it (at Kapcon, anyway) which I'm pretty sure was the first time at WHS. And I'll only be running it first round, there'll be two other games from previous Kapcons as well.
itowlson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put me down for Six Monks in a Leaky Boat, a Paranoia hack set in the mediaeval church. (For those who remember Sects and Ducks and Rock'n'Roll which ran at Kapcon 2006: yes. That setting.)
housemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least three games* mentioned in this thread that I want to play in already.

*and I don't mean mine.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been challenged by two people for this year.

1) a game called "the late mr plunkett "
2) a L5R game - this may not survive me reading the books again and may end up being a high action samurai game with some political intrigue.

So one of those could be mine for first round.,

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go on the record right now as saying that everyone who comes to KapCon should be volunteering either for a round on the desk or to run a game.

Dan will be taking point on investigating ways of helping out new and new-ish GMs for next KapCon, but let me also go on the record as saying that I am willing to engage in e-mails, play-tests, face to face meetings, proof reading, ghost-writing and anything else that would help a new GM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
binder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashugenah wrote:
I want to go on the record right now as saying that everyone who comes to KapCon should be volunteering either for a round on the desk or to run a game.

I disagree, the con should be about having fun and connecting with friends (new or old). If this having fun means volunteering either for a round on the desk or running a game then so be it.

Let's not make the con any less fun for those who actually enjoy and feel comfortable just turning up and playing (they do pay for the privilege) .

As a side note, I saw that a few planned games ended up being canned due to interest, while others could have filled up 5 fold. Perhaps we should actually be encouraging people to play in games!

Marcus
Mashugenah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do both. More GMs, more people prepared to try new GMs' games.

I think that in order to sustain growth, the expectation needs to change so that GMing is more of a norm than an exception.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binder wrote:
Mashugenah wrote:

I disagree, the con should be about having fun and connecting with friends (new or old). If this having fun means volunteering either for a round on the desk or running a game then so be it.

Let's not make the con any less fun for those who actually enjoy and feel comfortable just turning up and playing (they do pay for the privilege) .

As a side note, I saw that a few planned games ended up being canned due to interest, while others could have filled up 5 fold. Perhaps we should actually be encouraging people to play in games!

Marcus

Maybe the do need to pay the true cost of running the con. We gie up a lot of time to put this together.

Running - Dresden Files RPG: the murderer of Merlin

Playing - Exalted: Red Sun Redux
icehawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binder wrote:

Yup.

Many people seem to come to Kapcon to catch up with old friends and play in their games. But encouraging someone new to GM for the first time, then having their game not fill up, isn't exactly going to make them keen to GM again.
MikeSands

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, there's a thing where the games on demand room tends to get 2-8 extra people each round who didn't bother signing up. This is hard for us to handle (there's only a limited number of us able to run - sometimes we can't just take everyone who walks in, although we try). I know that sometimes games are unsubscribed in those same rounds. This certainly is not ideal.

Last edited by MikeSands on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NZRaG Forum Index -> Kapcon 21 (2012) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: